Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wiring for power foldong mirrors(ran a search)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring for power foldong mirrors(ran a search)

im looking for help wiring the power folding mirros on my EK HB. i have the mirrors and the switch but im looking for directions on how to wire it up. thanx for any help that u guys might have in advance.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: wiring for power foldong mirrors(ran a search) (dubarex)

Just search. I have before and there is directions and everything. I would post a link but I gotta go to bed. Maybe I'll post one tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:43 AM

good luck
Old 04-12-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: wiring for power foldong mirrors(ran a search) (jdemone)

im getting better at this... found the wiring but i did not know i needed an oem relay box i have general knowledge with relays and was wondering if i coulld make my own relay pack...if any one knows please help

Old 04-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when wiring in a folding mirror you always need a jdm oem relay. you can get one here http://www.icbmotorsport.com

if anyone in socal needs wiring for the folding mirrors let me know. i can have a clean installation and wiring for a nominal fee.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring for power foldong mirrors(ran a search) (eg6sir-s)

Enlighten me please.......

$60 for a JDM fcukin relay?????
why can't you just use a regular 12v 40amp SPDT relay (single pole dual throw), that you can buy at any electronics store for a couple dollars?????????????????????

whats so special about the JDM relay, that you "always need"

**not trying to offend anyone, but doesn't make sense to me**

Old 04-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring for power foldong mirrors(ran a search) (sidesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sidesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Enlighten me please.......

why can't you just use a regular 12v 40amp SPDT relay (single pole dual throw), that you can buy at any electronics store for a couple dollars?????????????????????

</TD></TR></TABLE>

go ahead and buy a relay at an electronics shop and see if the folding mirrors work properly with it.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have the mirrors and i don't plan on getting them either.
I was trying to help the guy out that is putting these mirrors on. $60 is an unbelievable amout of money for a $2.00 part. The jdm relay doesn't even come with a wiring harness for that kind of money, you still have to make your own.
If I was a betting man, i'd say that if you bought a 12v SPDT relay from Radio Shack or even walmart, some wiring, and misc connectors, it would be the same exact thing. **DUBAREX KEEP US POSTED, GOOD QUESTIONS**

At the relay...
One direct Power input wire (fused if you can) preferably from battery or fuse box
One Ground wire
One wire coming from your switch
and
Two output wires (one going to each mirror).
** you could test it out in the car with the mirrors off the car**
it won't hurt anything as long as all the prongs on the relay are connected to the appropriate spots and you don't touch power to ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring for power foldong mirrors(ran a search) (sidesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sidesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't have the mirrors and i don't plan on getting them either.
I was trying to help the guy out that is putting these mirrors on. $60 is an unbelievable amout of money for a $2.00 part. The jdm relay doesn't even come with a wiring harness for that kind of money, you still have to make your own.
If I was a betting man, i'd say that if you bought a 12v SPDT relay from Radio Shack or even walmart, some wiring, and misc connectors, it would be the same exact thing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, they are different relays. If you search you will find out that people who tried the radio shack relays had problems with folding the mirrors with the push of the buttom. In order for the mirrors to fold with the radio shack relay you have to hold the button. Even when you get them to fold, as soon as you let go of the button, the mirrors will start to come back out. The OEM relay will fold the mirrors with the push of the button and hold them there. So if I were to do it, I would buy the OEM relay. Hope this helps
Old 04-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring for power foldong mirrors(ran a search) (EG6 SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sidesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Enlighten me please.......

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6 SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, they are different relays. If you search you will find out that people who tried the radio shack relays had problems with folding the mirrors with the push of the buttom. In order for the mirrors to fold with the radio shack relay you have to hold the button. Even when you get them to fold, as soon as you let go of the button, the mirrors will start to come back out. The OEM relay will fold the mirrors with the push of the button and hold them there. So if I were to do it, I would buy the OEM relay. Hope this helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

its not because its jdm its because its oem and will only work they way it was meant to be. dont hate on what you dont know.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6sir-s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its not because its jdm its because its oem and will only work they way it was meant to be. dont hate on what you dont know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I saw this post originally when the both of you were talking, he said he wasn't attempting to offend anyone, seemed as if he just wanted an answer to the question beyond what you saw as "hating", he wanted to be informed. The prices on the site you posted are honestly somewhat inflated. I wouldn't blame someone for attempting to do what others want to do if they had the means; find or make something and have it work reliably while being cost effective enough to the point the plug and play doesn't look worth it.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:44 PM

Yea that picture came from my website. I have the mirrors but didnt use the factory relay. Instead I wired up 2 relays and hooked them to the arm/disarm of my alarm system....

http://webpages.charter.net/no...s.MPG

If I were you and just wanted them hooked up it would be alot easier just buying the relay although you can make one...

There was someone out on the net that wired them with a relay from radio shack and they said it worked great. Probably not a heavy duty type though...
Old 04-17-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: wiring for power foldong mirrors(ran a search) (Noeladams)

thanx for all ur help guys i just bought the car and the mirrors and switch where there so i have to look under the dash see if the guy had the relay aswell. i've been busy with exams and ish but as soon as its done ill post