Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wiring help needed for D16Z6 swap into 95 Civic coupe with auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring help needed for D16Z6 swap into 95 Civic coupe with auto transmission

I recently bought a '95 EG Civic. It's currently an auto with a blown D15b1. I'm swapping it out and putting in a D16z6 with a manual trans already mounted up. A shift linkage is already hooked up to the trans but it came from a '90 EF hatch so I don't think the linkage will be long enough. But my question is, seeing as how my car is a auto. What changes (if any) would need to be made to the harness to get it to run. Would I need the harness for a d16z6 or could I use my d15 harness and modify it to run vtec. I was told that I could use my harness but I'd obviously need to get a computer for it. I just want to make sure so when D day comes I can drop it in, hook it up, and roll.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring Question

I forgot to mentions I have a EG coupe.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can reuse your harness from your d15b1. I believe there will be 2 unused plugs from the automatic transmission shift sensors. Is the transmission cable or hydro that came with your d16z6? The reason I ask is because the Ef's were cable operated transmissions and your eg is hydro. You will need a p28 ecu and there is a how-to guide in the FAQ section of this sub-forum. You should really checkout the FAQ section.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The transmission that's with the z6 is hydro. The z6 was actually swapped in my friends EF before he bought it and he has a chipped p28. I'm trying to get my him to lossen his grip on it so I can have it. I actually helped him strip down his car down to the metal so he could do a fresh rebuild. But back on topic,lol, yes the trans is hydro. I know the z6 is a vtec motor but my b1 isn't. What needs to be done wiring wise, if you know?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And I really appreciate your help and I'll go check out the how to guide.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You will be adding 3 wires to the d15b1 harness. One wire is for the vtec spool valve, and the other 2 is for the oil pressure sensor on the vtec spool value. You can reuse one of the unused automatic transmission plugs for the reverse lights. You just have to follow the how-to guide in the FAQ to repin it. If you need the shift linkage, I have a pair for sale. Let me know.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I just read through the Faq thread and saw how to get the reverse and brake lights wired up. That thread was pretty cool. How much do you want do you want for the shift linkages?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As I was reading throught the "FAQ" section. I came across the issue with the mounts. The motor has mounts on it. Would these mounts fit perfectly in my car or do I need mounts specific to my car?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need an automatic to manual mount from hansport. All the other mounts will work, just the transmission mount needs to be replaced.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah its cheaper to run the wiring for VTEC and VTEC pressure switch than to buy a Z6 harness. Plus with the Z6 harness you'll have to run wiring from the shock tower to the ECU. Check out my sig below as I make the Z6/Mini Me harness for $20 to wire up VTEC
Old 11-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, the transmission has a mount on it already but I have to switch it with a hasport mount?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes

http://hasport.com/store/index.php/m...-eg/egamh.html
Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, and that would be the only mount that needs to be replaced, correct?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

correct.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring help needed for D16Z6 swap into 95 Civic coupe with auto transmission

Awesome, and I JUST noticed my threaad got renamed. I didn't know that could happen. The forum for my legend, the moderators don't do that, lol. I guess I should thank someone. But one other question. The axles for my auto trans, will they work with my manual trans or will it be to short/long?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring help needed for D16Z6 swap into 95 Civic coupe with auto transmission

I believe they are the same as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As the others said you'll need to run the VTEC wires but as far as the A/T M/T conversion you'll have a extra plug from the a/t control lockup valve (two big solenoids on top of the A/T tranny). You will have to wire the Reverse Sensor up your self into the Cabin. And the Clutch sensor switch on the clutch pedal (it acts as a Clutch Safety). You wire that into the Big Plug that comes from the Gear Selector. Wire the clutch safety to "Park" and the Reverse Sensor to "Reverse". Just trace the wires from the Gear selector, you will figure it out.

When I did my conversion I bought a cheap conversion mount off eBay, its worked out so far. I'd like to buy Innovatives or Hasport mounts but a eBay one will get the job done if its your daily driver.

As for the Pedals you need to get the complete set. You can't simply add the clutch pedal. If you don't the brake and clutch will be very close together. If you have cruise control you need to get the correct pedals, the Accelerator will have the extra holder for the cruise cable. You will need the right throttle cable to go along with. As well you need the Clutch Master Cylinder w/ reservoir, hydraulic lines, and Clutch Slave Cylinder.

You can reuse the original axles. You don't need a different ECU just to drive it. You just will have a CEL Code for the A/T control lock up valve. But I'd recommend getting it chipped or the correct ECU for your motor.

Goodluck

Hope this helps, sorry I didn't go much into detail. But do some research and you will figure it out.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JCDC5R
As the others said you'll need to run the VTEC wires but as far as the A/T M/T conversion you'll have a extra plug from the a/t control lockup valve (two big solenoids on top of the A/T tranny). You will have to wire the Reverse Sensor up your self into the Cabin. And the Clutch sensor switch on the clutch pedal (it acts as a Clutch Safety). You wire that into the Big Plug that comes from the Gear Selector. Wire the clutch safety to "Park" and the Reverse Sensor to "Reverse". Just trace the wires from the Gear selector, you will figure it out.

When I did my conversion I bought a cheap conversion mount off eBay, its worked out so far. I'd like to buy Innovatives or Hasport mounts but a eBay one will get the job done if its your daily driver.

As for the Pedals you need to get the complete set. You can't simply add the clutch pedal. If you don't the brake and clutch will be very close together. If you have cruise control you need to get the correct pedals, the Accelerator will have the extra holder for the cruise cable. You will need the right throttle cable to go along with. As well you need the Clutch Master Cylinder w/ reservoir, hydraulic lines, and Clutch Slave Cylinder.

You can reuse the original axles. You don't need a different ECU just to drive it. You just will have a CEL Code for the A/T control lock up valve. But I'd recommend getting it chipped or the correct ECU for your motor.

Goodluck

Hope this helps, sorry I didn't go much into detail. But do some research and you will figure it out.
It's okay. I read the Faq section and I looked at what parts I needed. Anything extra that wasn't mentioned like vtec solenoid and axles I asked about and got my answers. I'm getting my friends chipped p28 which is the computer he ran with that motor so basically it's just a direct motor swap from his car to my car minus the things I need to change in my car to pull this off successfully. But I really appreciate the help and I can't wait to get this puppy finished.