Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wiring delimma

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring delimma

Ok, picked up a 97 ex with obd1 h22a in it. The guy said that it wasnt getting spark and was too much of a headache for him. Got the car home(towed) and immediately popped the hood. Wiring is all jacked up. He said he was following the schematics out of Helms, but it looked nothing like what its suppose to. The D connector wires on the ecu connector werent connected to anything. There were no cannon plugs from the ecu to engine harness. So i figure he just pulled all obd2 wiring out. My question is, since i will be using a p28 for track and p13 for street(both being obd1) would it be ok to run the wires directly from the ecu to the component on the engine, basically converting to obd1. What issue will arise from doing that, i.e. vss, speedo, tach?

The other question, not sure if im answering it or not, but since the engine is h22a obd1 shouldnt the dizzy be internal coil? The one he has on now is external. Is there a way to make the external coil work? I've read a couple of threads here and there, but most don't say what to do. Only what they think should happen or where what should go where.

Last thing, since im going obd1, will i need to wire the fuel pump in separately?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: wiring delimma

You should have all normal OBD2 engine bay wiring, and then to run a P28, you would run a ECU adapter harness. All the fuel pump wiring and everything should be factory.

You can wire a H22 up with a Civic engine harness, just extend a few things. And having an external coil is no big deal. I know I found information on converting to external coil before, and there'd information on converting back from external to internal. I wired up a internal coil distributor to external before, it was pretty easy and required only a tiny bit of soldering. pm and I may get back to you. (just being honest)
Old 11-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the thing, he screwed the obd2 harness up. i have the h22 obd1 harness complete and the obd2 harness thats destroyed. I was asking if i could connect a,b,d from the ecu and run wires directly to the component on the engine. there is no place to connect the obd2 adapter to.

where can i find the info for wiring in the external?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the harness is that messed up you might be better served picking up one from the junkyard.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a complete h22 harness that was from the motor.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Honda prelude harness is different from the Civic. Totally different chassis and totally different wiring. Go to a wrecker and pull a harness. It's no fun, it took me over an hour, but it's the only right way to do it.

If I recall correctly, the only changes made to go to external coil is you solder a wire to the black/yellow wire of the 2 wire plug and that goes to the external coil for the power. Two wires are common on the coil (black and yellow I think), that black/yellow goes to both. I can't remember why I did it that way, but it made sense at the time. Then the green/yellow connects to the green wire. This is your ICM wire. I may be wrong, and there were various years. You need to find what wires are in the oil pump sensor and find where they go.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
If the harness is that messed up you might be better served picking up one from the junkyard.
what he said ^^

OP you need the harness for your year civic period. same year or 96-98. then get a obd2a to obd1 jumper harness to run the P28 or so. the harness is completely diff for the h22.
you will also have to modify the civic harness (cut, splice, solder, extend,etc) to fit into the h22 engine and plugs
Old 11-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand what everyone is saying about getting the new harness and what not. But let me try to explain once more in detail.

Since the obd2 harness that connects to the pass. side shock tower is completely gone, can I basically make my own harness. Im in the process of doing it now, not too hard with the schematics for the h22 and 97 civic wiring. The hardest thing is not going by color, but by description being that its two diff. harness'.

Since i am using obd1 ecu's, im going to make my own pass. side shock tower connections and run them to my motor. The wiring on the driver side shock tower is still there somewhat. But that isnt too hard.

So with me not worrying about time and headaches of wiring, will it work since the harness is not OBD2 like the car, but obd1 as is the motor and ecu.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it possible to make your own harness? Of course, places like RyWire do it.
At least check a junkyard. I got a couple harnesses for $15 each. If you make your own, you should have the motor in the car while running the wires so you can get it all good lengths. If you start with a OEM harness all you have to do is extend the alternator wires and maybe make a subharness to run from the oil pump to the distributor. Cut the little nubs inside the injectors and run a resistor box if that year motor had peak and hold injectors, and you're good.

You're not really benefiting in any way because the chassis harness is still OBD2, the plugs are shaped differently, so you'll still have to get an OBD1 adapter harness. So you're still converting a obd1 motor to run in a obd2 car and then adapting back to a obd1 ecu.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by a driver's side and a passenger side harness. The engine harness is one piece, it just connects on both sides.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that sort of answered my question. Since the cabin harness is obd2, can i wire it to the engine harness by splicing and soldering corresponding wires and make it work without getting an adapter? Not too sure on how i can explain it better.