Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wipers are tweaking out

Old 10-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wipers are tweaking out

I have a 97 civic ex coupe. And when i turn my wipers on the low setting they go halfway up the windshield and then stop. They then go the rest of the eay and then about half way back dow to park before stopping again. The middle and high settings work perfectly. I dont know whats up with this
Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: wipers are tweaking out

Sounds like a new wiper motor is needed, but do the motor test.
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

98 Civic EX coupe

I have a similar problem with my wipers so I thought I'd jump in on this thread and see if you suggest the same for me and if that fixed the OP problem.

First off, my wiper lever is extremely sensitive. Even the slightest of touches will knock it down and activate the wipers. Not sure if this is a common problem or if I got a spring or something in there thats worn out.

Second, I have the same issue as the OP. When twisting the lever to activate lowest of settings (interval) the wipers will go up then stop, go down then stop not quite all the way, and continue stopping in awkward positions. The low and high on mine work fine as well. But I did notice something that the OP didn't mention. When I turn my wipers off, no matter what speed, they stop where they are. Aren't they suppose to finish their cycle and stop at the bottom? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Former User; 12-10-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nick20555
I have a similar problem with my wipers so I thought I'd jump in on this thread and see if you suggest the same for me and if that fixed the OP problem.

First off, my wiper lever is extremely sensitive. Even the slightest of touches will knock it down and activate the wipers. Not sure if this is a common problem or if I got a spring or something in there thats worn out.

Second, I have the same issue as the OP. When twisting the lever to activate lowest of settings (interval) the wipers will go up then stop, go down then stop not quite all the way, and continue stopping in awkward positions. The low and high on mine work fine as well. But I did notice something that the OP didn't mention. When I turn my wipers off, no matter what speed, they stop where they are. Aren't they suppose to finish their cycle and stop at the bottom? Any thoughts?
Car information is always required. Add it to your post.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Car information is always required. Add it to your post.
Sorry, its a 98 Civic EX coupe. I didn't think about putting it in because its pretty much the same as the OP
Old 12-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

98 Civic EX coupe

The wipers work by twisting the ****. If you have to knock it to get it to "twitch", than you have an issue with the switch.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
The wipers work by twisting the ****. If you have to knock it to get it to "twitch", than you have an issue with the switch.
The wipers are twist and pull. You twist to get the interval settings. If you want the slow constant speed then you pull it down one notch to the first position. If you want it at high constant speed then you pull it down to the second position. The slightest of touches will bump it down to the first position which is the slow constant speed that works fine.

The other problem is the part where it stops where you turn it off and not finishing the cycle and the interval setting stops before it finishes a cycle leaving the wipers randomly in your view on the windshield.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Fish Twig

Than thats not twitching, or whatever it is you want to call it, its call the bushings on the mechanism arm is worn.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Than thats not twitching, or whatever it is you want to call it, its call the bushings on the mechanism arm is worn.
I never called it twitching, I think you just read one of the posts wrong. But thanks for the advise, I'll look into those bushings. Is that a dealer part or can I find them elsewhere?

Also, any advise on the sensitive lever? I don't think it's normal for the lever to drop to the first position so easily. It is so loose on mine you can pretty much drop it to that first position by blowing on it really hard.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Fish Twig

I never called it twitching, I think you just read one of the posts wrong. But thanks for the advise, I'll look into those bushings. Is that a dealer part or can I find them elsewhere?

Also, any advise on the sensitive lever? I don't think it's normal for the lever to drop to the first position so easily. It is so loose on mine you can pretty much drop it to that first position by blowing on it really hard.
Replace it, shouldn't feel loose.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would the 94-95 linkages be the same for my 98 civic ? I know a guy parting out a 94-95.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would the 94-95 linkages be the same for my 98 civic ? I know a guy parting out a 94-95.
Different part numbers and don't look the same.

Sounds like you need a new switch and motor.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got a little busy lately replacing brakes, wheel bearings, and a window motor/regulator so I pushed off my wiper problems. I was at the junk yard this weekend so I picked up a new wiper switch so my wipers won't activate with every slight bump.

But back to the main problem. I got 2 different answers so which do you guys think, motor or worn bushings? If its the bushings, where can I get those? I can only find the whole linkage online and forgot to check the one at the junkyard to see if it had these parts.

Works on constant slow and constant high but doesn't return to bottom when turned off and the interval settings are not doing a full cycle before it stops.