Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wiper smears del sol

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper smears del sol

Anyone have a fix for wiper smears?

When I bought the sol the wipers on it were garbage, and since then i've literally bought EVERY brand of wiper there is. From $5 wal mart brand to the $30 Michelin brand

still ****ing streaks when i use my wipers, also tried every kind of wiper fluid known to man

any ideas?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: wiper smears del sol

If the smears are still evident, it may be your windshield glass, not the wiper blades. I sorta have the same issue on my Sol as well. Sometimes it would wipe really, really clean, but other times it seems as if the blades are worn even though they have just been replaced with new ones.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i forgot to mention i've replaced my windsheild as well.

i had a small crack in my old one and i thought it could be the culprit to the smears so i had it replaced.

but the smears are still there, its like they arnt wiping water off period.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try using Rain-X latitude wiper blades (those deeply arched blades) or any other kind of wiper blade that doesn't use multiple little arms (I think that Bosch also have a version of the same wiper blade).

With me constantly removing and re-installing the wiper blade arms, I'm sure that they no longer stay under factory specs so no matter what blade I used (even new ones) they all streaked and chattered.

When I switched to the new latitude blades, it sweeps the windshield effortlessly, quietly and evenly.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya mine do the same **** on my EJ8, it rages the **** out of me. And i cant figure out how to make it go away.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had awesome awesome luck with the Michellin Radius wiper blades. They are the style that are one solid arm instead of the metal "framed" style with the individual arms. These seem to wipe much better than the standard style since they are held more firmly against the windshield. Also, the problem with the framed ones is that the little arms get full of ice and freeze up which makes them smear also.

What are you using for washer fluid? I've never had good luck with the Rain-X brand kind before. Everytime I used it it would smear much worse than anything else I used. My best luck so far was the cheap *** stuff we get at work in the 55 gallon drum. It's just the regular blue stuff you can purchase anywhere.

Also, on a side note. Are you cleaning the new blades with alcohol wipes? This makes a big difference in how well they work. Cleaning them regularly with washer fluid or alcohol wipes will help the rubber from getting chewed up also.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine have always been ****, like i put them on the car brand new andthey still sucked.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i'm currently using bosch latitude wipers

yeah i clean them when i give my car a good wash

still poo
Old 01-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to clean them with an alcohol wipe or washer fluid (it has alcohol in it, don't try to drink it btw). Soap and water will not clean them properly. Since you've got a new windshield I'm not sure what else to tell you besides what I already posted.

Just a FYI, I HATE Bosch products unless they are OEM Bosch replacement parts for a Volkswagen. In that case you have no choice but to use them.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
You need to clean them with an alcohol wipe or washer fluid (it has alcohol in it, don't try to drink it btw). Soap and water will not clean them properly. Since you've got a new windshield I'm not sure what else to tell you besides what I already posted.

Just a FYI, I HATE Bosch products unless they are OEM Bosch replacement parts for a Volkswagen. In that case you have no choice but to use them.
lol why do u have Bosch so much?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I haven't already explained it in the other thread you'd see why. I've just had terrible luck with most of their products and seen them fail numerous times. Volkswagen uses their parts for OEM and I've worked on enough Volkswagens to hate them too. My friend's 99 Beetle was a nightmare as well as the 1.8T Passat I worked on at work. Everything about them is ****ed up.

I use parts that have been proven time and time again.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
If I haven't already explained it in the other thread you'd see why. I've just had terrible luck with most of their products and seen them fail numerous times. Volkswagen uses their parts for OEM and I've worked on enough Volkswagens to hate them too. My friend's 99 Beetle was a nightmare as well as the 1.8T Passat I worked on at work. Everything about them is ****ed up.

I use parts that have been proven time and time again.
fair enough. NGK pwns anyway
Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spray and wipe rain x rain repellent on your windshield.

and i swear it wont smear again, until the rain x fades that is.

works on my crx with rain x latitude blades in the front and oem replacement in the rear.
at certain speeds you might not need to use your wipers [not suggesting you do this, but i have done it] the water will slide off like a skater on ice.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by randomtask77
Try using Rain-X latitude wiper blades (those deeply arched blades) or any other kind of wiper blade that doesn't use multiple little arms (I think that Bosch also have a version of the same wiper blade).

With me constantly removing and re-installing the wiper blade arms, I'm sure that they no longer stay under factory specs so no matter what blade I used (even new ones) they all streaked and chattered.

When I switched to the new latitude blades, it sweeps the windshield effortlessly, quietly and evenly.
I agree, i think rain-x makes the best wiper blades out there. Had them on my gf's old 98 Civic and they wiped alot better than my michelin wipers.

My gf just got a new 08 Civic ex and the wipers work really good. Wish my wipers on my 99 Civic worked that good.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had that problem but it turned out to be tree sap/resin from parking under a bunch of trees. u might try to wipe ur windshield with alcohol or with soap/water and a scrubber....
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean your window with 00 steel wool and buy a good blade, the rain-x beam blade works great.