Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wiper arm going past windshield, need help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper arm going past windshield, need help please

What's up H-T!

I jumped on the freeway earlier, and my driver side wiper started moving up on its on. Almost half ways up my windshield. Quickly pulled over and checked to see if the nut caps that hold them in place are lose because I'm running Rain X wipers, I didnt want them flying off on the freeway lol. Anyways, they were nice and tight...so I said screw it and drove off.

On the way home, it was pouring rain, so I turned on the wipers (on slow) and my driver side wiper was hitting the edge of the window. I was like wtf? so my smart self puts it on full blast and it starts going past the window, LOL. All ****in crazy hahaha. So if the wiper nut caps arent lose, what do you think the problem is? The wiper moves fine up and down, just seems like it has alot of play and at full blast goes past the window help!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: Wiper arm going past windshield, need help please

See what position they are when they're off. If its higher than normal, remove the 14mm wiper arm nut and rotate the arms counter-clockwise, making the wipers about an inch above the window cowl. Re-install the nut and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they're right above the window cowl....but somehow manage to make it past the window lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure you got the right wiper size? Coupes i know the left blade is larger than the right. What is your year and model, what size blades did you get?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
Are you sure you got the right wiper size? Coupes i know the left blade is larger than the right. What is your year and model, what size blades did you get?
its a 93 civic hatchback...I got the right size I checked like 10 times. I have 22" on the driver side and 18" on the passenger. Just because you mentioned this, I went outside and put the 18" passenger one on the driver side, turned the switch and it STILL went over the window, lol wtf!? It has way too much play on it...
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

if that's the case, you many need to swap out the window wiper motor. 94-01 Integras fit as well if you can't get a Civic one. It's not that hard to replace.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree, you might need to swap the motor out, it could be letting the wipers got too high on the windshield.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely wiper motor is bad
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the EXACT same problem on my eg after i had taken the wiper arms off to paint them. all i did was take the 14mm bolt off, readjust the arm, tighten the bolt back on and no more problems.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems wiper mechanism has one or more worn linkage bushings. Replace bushings to get rid of the excessive play.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by slumdog
i had the EXACT same problem on my eg after i had taken the wiper arms off to paint them. all i did was take the 14mm bolt off, readjust the arm, tighten the bolt back on and no more problems.
The OP checked and there's too much play when the arms are engaged. It's the motor.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
if that's the case, you many need to swap out the window wiper motor. 94-01 Integras fit as well if you can't get a Civic one. It's not that hard to replace.
awww ****, by any chance do you think its the bushings instead of the motor itself? I know how to replace the whole thing, but if its the bushings and the motor is good, mights as well just change the bushings.

Originally Posted by motegicivic
Agree, you might need to swap the motor out, it could be letting the wipers got too high on the windshield.

Originally Posted by netpsyche
definitely wiper motor is bad

Originally Posted by slumdog
Yeah for sure my problem is not the 14mm bolt, those are nice and tight.

Originally Posted by axis11
It seems wiper mechanism has one or more worn linkage bushings. Replace bushings to get rid of the excessive play.
I read this on a couple of threads when I googled my problelm...by any chance do you know if they sell the bushings from the dealer? I'll give this a shot first, if it still doesnt work, I'll pick up a new unit.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Just grab the entire mechanism from the local junkyard. I had the same issue in a EG hatch and I replaced the motor with one from a '98 Integra and the wiper issue was fixed.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the arms are moving it's not the motor. If it's just a lot of slack with the wipers, it's the wiper arm bushings that are worn or even missing. It's a common problem that I see often. You'll need to pull the cowl off and move the wiper arms manually to see which ones are bad and just replace them. Although with Honda you'll probably have to get the arm that has the bad bushings. They just snap on.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Just grab the entire mechanism from the local junkyard. I had the same issue in a EG hatch and I replaced the motor with one from a '98 Integra and the wiper issue was fixed.
that's what I was thinking...but then again dont want to deal with the same issue if it occurs again. I rather replace what's messed up (the bushings, hopefully) I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow

Originally Posted by Naterror
If the arms are moving it's not the motor. If it's just a lot of slack with the wipers, it's the wiper arm bushings that are worn or even missing. It's a common problem that I see often. You'll need to pull the cowl off and move the wiper arms manually to see which ones are bad and just replace them. Although with Honda you'll probably have to get the arm that has the bad bushings. They just snap on.
Yeah the arms move fine, but they have ALOT of play on them. From their "neutral" position right where the window begins, I can move it back and forth maybe about 6-8 inches...and it went from being normal to being crappy in a matter of days because they were fine. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the wiper arm bushings. They're probably going to missing when you pull off the cowl to look at them. You can get the arms individually from Honda. I won't trust using old ones, since they'll just break and you'll be in the same boat down the road.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Naterror
That's the wiper arm bushings. They're probably going to missing when you pull off the cowl to look at them. You can get the arms individually from Honda. I won't trust using old ones, since they'll just break and you'll be in the same boat down the road.
I still havent gotten a chance to check them, Ill do it friday morning. BUT, lets just say the bushings are the problem, which ones in the diagram would I have to buy?

http://www.providencehondaservice.com/order-parts.aspx
Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like u have to adjust them., they must of got out of position while it was loose
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nahh bro, its far from loose. I know how to adjust them, and its not that, it has way too much play in them. I saw my buddies ej1 today and he has no play what so ever. I showed him mine and he was trippin out...something is ****ed up inside. I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks for the input tho
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KiDDD...
I still havent gotten a chance to check them, Ill do it friday morning. BUT, lets just say the bushings are the problem, which ones in the diagram would I have to buy?

http://www.providencehondaservice.com/order-parts.aspx
You won't know until you actually take it apart and look at it. It doesn't take long to do and it'll be obvious which ones you'll need when you get it apart.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KiDDD...
nahh bro, its far from loose. I know how to adjust them, and its not that, it has way too much play in them. I saw my buddies ej1 today and he has no play what so ever. I showed him mine and he was trippin out...something is ****ed up inside. I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks for the input tho

Hi,

I had the exact same problem.
What was your problem ? Which piece on the diagram did you change ?

THanks
Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like there is something wrong with the wiper motor.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How about taking off the cowl and inspecting things instead of looking at it scratching your head?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this issue and it ended up being my wiper arm bushings, replaced them with new ones from Honda and it solved the problem.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hi! i'm having this same problem.. the driver's side wiper arm throws excessively on the bottom and on the left frame of the windshield.. i already replaced the four plastic bushings in the wiper linkage assembly and had adjusted the arm position in the home position, still does the same problem specially when the speed of the wiper is on "high". could the motor be causing this issue? thanks!

Quick Reply: Wiper arm going past windshield, need help please