Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Winters Coming! Project Ideas? Maintenance Q's

Old 10-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winters Coming! Project Ideas? Maintenance Q's

hey guys

i stepped outside today, and the weather gave me a little surprise! it was COLD. thankfully i live down south, so it never snows ( dont need a new set of wheels ). but it still gets pretty cold. this is going to be my first winter with a car!

i will still be driving my car regularly, but ive been noticing some things that have been changing along with the weather. mainly, when i go start the car, it cranks much longer than in warm weather... is this normal? do i need to replace my sparkplugs / seafoam my car just for good measure?

another question that came to mind: how often do you guys wash your car? i have a crack in my windshield, so im afraid of washing my car and having water freeze/expand in the crack thus making it larger . i think i should give it a good wash/wax before the cold weather really sets in.

finally, i love working on my car during the cold weather, i hate the hot summer humidity. what are some things i could do? im still wating to do my tranny swap, but im looking for some new ideas

i think that'll be it if you have any winter tips and tricks share!

ek
Old 10-17-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Winters Coming! Project Ideas? Maintenance Q's (ekcivic9)

for the crack on your windshield, put some clear finger nail polish on it, that will help to keep it from spreading. and i wash my car often in the winter up here in pa due to the salt and i towel dry it off when i'm done and the worse it ever did was froze my door shut once

the longer start time from what i believe is normal. i have been told to run 5w-30 oil in my d16 in the winter bc its thinner and helps the engine to start up in the cold, but i have stopped doing that and just run 10w all year long bc i have a small oil leak and 5w tends to leak out quicker.

hope that helps ya some. as for mods, i'm poor and cant suggest anything haha
Old 10-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

homestar, thanks for the tips

if i put clear nailpolish in, will i still be able to take it to a place to get it repaired later on?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

yeah you should be able to get it fixed no prob at a later time. my mom did it on her old grand prix...she got a chip in it and it started to spider, so we did that trick and it held up nicely till she got the time and money to pay for a replacement. in pa it passed inspection bc it was on the passenger side..

almost forgot to mention to ya...when u put the nail polish on take a hair dryer to it for like a minute to make sure its good and dry
Old 10-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Winters Coming! Project Ideas? Maintenance Q's (ekcivic9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i will still be driving my car regularly, but ive been noticing some things that have been changing along with the weather. mainly, when i go start the car, it cranks much longer than in warm weather... is this normal? do i need to replace my sparkplugs / seafoam my car just for good measure?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I notice this problem, I actually put the key to the on position for a second or two and then crank, not to sure why it helps but I think it has something to do with the fuel pump priming because it helps more when the tank is almost empty.....don't ask me why. try it if it helps

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

finally, i love working on my car during the cold weather, i hate the hot summer humidity.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Clearly you are crazy....lol, you can work on my car in the winter every time something goes wrong. Stuff only breaks when it's cold in my case. Changing a battery becomes a very painful ordeal. Almost impossible to do real work unless you have a heated garage......lol

cheers!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it also seems like my gas gauge is fluctuating much more with cold weather! i just hope my car doesnt fall apart -.-
Old 10-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ekcivic9)

just make sure to always keep more gas in your car in the winter, prevents condensation and thus prevents gas line freezing.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: (old man neri)

Old 10-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BLUE EH3)

yeah my car takes a LOT longer in colder weather.

back in california during summer you could practically flick the key and it would turn on, now it takes like 3-4 seconds up in washington at night.