Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Winter tips, or shall i say mods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tips, or shall i say mods?

So im in MN, and the winters here are a heavy bitch. So far it hasnt even hit 32* and my car still wont warm up after 30 minutes of driving. What i did so far was block off the A/C compressor spot, right next to the radiator.

I went to home depot and got a galvinized duct sheet, and bolted it on the empty spot right next to my radiator. This will also help the aerodynamics of the car. It does help warm up faster, because the exhaust manifold isnt getting frozen by the open wind. I have also tried to install some home depot weather stripping around my headlights and where the hood meets the bumper, so the air will be sealed. This did minimal so far.

What else have you guys done to keep the engine bay warm and insulated? its a huge deal to me, because when i come to a stop, the idle raises all the way up to 2k. I have also tried to insulate the area around my CAI.

I was thinking, block off the upper grill? hence put black sheet metal behind my CTR grill? this way wind wont chill the radiator, and maybe block off part of the lower grill as well? Im also thinking about putting some kind of insulation under my hood.

What have you guys done? and if your just saying keep it the way it is? then banish yourself from my beautiful thread, please. This is DIY style (ill get picks up soon)
Old 10-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Winter tips, or shall i say mods? (YoungKadafi)

I'd personally get a new thermostat. I live in North Eastern Canada, our winter temps are around -30 and my car warms up to normal temperature in 10minutes of driving. I use the same thermostat year round and never have any heating/ cooling problems. Blocking off some of the airflow to the radiator will help the car warm up quicker.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap this has to be the most horrid thing I have ever heard of.

Why would you want TO MAKE YOUR ENGINE BAY HOTTER!@?!?!?!?
Old 10-21-2006, 09:52 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (duggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy crap this has to be the most horrid thing I have ever heard of.

Why would you want TO MAKE YOUR ENGINE BAY HOTTER!@?!?!?!?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because he lives in minnesota. Durp. I don't expect the texans and west-coasters to understand much ... but why don't you call up a canadian honda dealership and ask how many block warmers you'll find.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:58 AM

well i dont really wanna do a block warmer, since i do alot of stop and go driving, i get around in my 4door civic.

somebody said something about some asphault insulation from home depot, that helps deaden sound. You just cut it to size, and place it on, not sure what its called. oh and the under mesh of my hood is cut out.

i also wanted to know what other people are doing to keep their cars insulated (since hot/cold cycles increase wear, and alot of the **** on honda-tech is to get the most out of your engine life) so i thought people would jump on this kinda topic, i guess not. *******
Old 10-21-2006, 09:58 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So far it hasnt even hit 32* and my car still wont warm up after 30 minutes of driving.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That is abnormal. You're going about solving this problem the wrong way - fixing the symptom instead of the cause.

I would start by testing your thermostat. I have a hunch that it is stuck in the open position.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:06 AM

im sure your correct, however heres the deal;

The heater controls on my center console are busted, i tried putting in a deck and it snapped the white plastic clips, that move the heater to the cold, and warm position. That part is all messed up, so sometimes when driving ill have warm air, and then it will turn to cold. When ever i stop, i can hear it switch from warm to cold, or viceversa with a loud BUMP. not sure what the hell that is. this may be my problem. I still would like to know if people block their upper grill off? if you live in MN id think you would understand, it gets so cold you cant turn your key. wait, if my thermostat was stuck open, can my can i still cycle coolant with my radiator fan? because my fan still does come on.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:23 AM

anybody done an underbody tray? im sure this will help you slep past on the deep snow, easier? along with keeping the exhaust warm.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a couple weeks ago it took my car 20 min to warm up, and it has a brand new radiator and thermostat and lines.

It gets pretty cold here in MN. The lowest i can remember is -65. I cant believe some people still dont believe that the lakes freez over haha
Old 10-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 4:37 AM 11/16/2006
Old 10-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Winter tips, or shall i say mods? (schlit)

You dont need to insulate your engine bay. Replace your thermostat and flush the coolant.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:04 PM
a/k/a Jomo

I'm absolutely speechless by that second paragraph.

I've lived in the Northeast w/ frigid temps and running full size dual core aftermarket rads (C&R & Fluidyne) and my car will be up to temp in seriously under 10 minutes.

Something else is wrong, and the funny thing is you are so obsessed with adding utter garbage to your vehicle, you are missing the fact that there very well is probably something wrong with it. If your car is not up to temp in thirty minutes of constant driving, something is wrong. Or you're greatly exaggerating.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:14 PM

nah, not making things up just to make e-convo. I can be driving for 30 mins, and when i come to a complete stop, my engine idles at 2k for a while. Worse when -10 out. tested my thermostat and it seems to work correctly.

Hmm..could it be that im running a CAI? did the same thing with a shorty. All of the coolant lines are connected, and just flushed the coolant a few weeks ago.

The engine is noisy, thats how i know its not warming up properly. When its warm out, i can hardly hear the engine idle, now i can hear it over the exhaust and subs. And my valves are adjusted. When it gets warmer out, like 50 degress, SILENCE! this is why i wanna insulate my engine bay, thermal efficiency.

Also it could be my LMA's or main bearing on the tranny
Old 10-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Winter tips, or shall i say mods? (Mr Hammond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Hammond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Something else is wrong, and the funny thing is you are so obsessed with adding utter garbage to your vehicle, you are missing the fact that there very well is probably something wrong with it. If your car is not up to temp in thirty minutes of constant driving, something is wrong. Or you're greatly exaggerating.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 10-21-2006, 12:24 PM
H-T White Ops

Dude, your thermostat is working since your fan is cycling on and off. If it wasn't working you'd never have the fan come on because the water would never get to the cut-on temperature.

Blocking off your AC condenser isn't doing **** for you.

Blocking off your RADIATOR won't do **** for you since your t-stat is working just fine.

Fix your climate control. Insulating your car, "frozen exhaust manifold", making engine bay blockoff shield....friggen rediculous. Something in your car is jacked up.

By the way, is this your first winter? You drive a Honda. Not a damn Porsche. They're meant to drive in stuff like snow and ice and be fine. You sound like a snow n00b to me and are blowing things out of proportion and are obsessed with jerry rigging your car to hell and back to save a couple pennies instead of finding the real problem and fixing it the right way.

Fix your climate controls and check your t-stat and coolant level just for ***** and giggles.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:37 PM

u have to check out ur thermostat!internal combustion produces alot of heat,regardless of the outside temprature,the coolant should heat up to normal before it passes through the radiator.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 4:36 AM 11/16/2006
Old 10-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with my fellow canadian. I am an alberta boy and we get a cold snap of -40 C for two weeks almost every january/febuary.

My genitals may dissapear but my car starts and warms up within 10-15 mins of driving.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:42 PM
DTS

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">along with keeping the exhaust warm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf?
Old 10-21-2006, 02:05 PM

i think im in the wrong forum, i was looking for honda-tech, not mustang-novice.com. Seems like nobody here has modded their cars before, jeze i think i maybe started a trend, called modifications to a vehicle? Anyway i love being flamed, since it makes me feel I am smarter than everybody here, since they have no idea, about anything, just a wtf? and x2 and maybe a "huh". Whats keeping the exhaust warm? what the hell is an exhaust? why keep it warm? Your a retard by 700%. thats an extra 600% of retard attached to your bitch ***.

funny how clubcivic answers any technical questions, but here, the only time you get a real answer, if it has to do with a ford focus/bustang, or maybe JDM tails.

I laugh it must be the saturday expletive heads who still have their altezza's on, chrome wheels, APC blasted all over their duplicolored forrest green, 94 civics.

Wouldnt a leaking headgasket cause my car to overheat? you stupid expletive!?

Why keep your exhaust warm? you dumb moron, why not just freeze the exhaust pipe, it makes for denser exhaust, you stupid expletive?

Why block off the front area where the a/c condensor went? maybe because it creates less drag, and doesnt have air swirling around inside your engine bay=drag=cold air not allowing the exhaust manifold to stay its warmest=less exhaust velocity, hmm *******? is this new to you? Why do people use EXHAUST WRAP? insulation? yea, its actually a word. I wonder why they use exhaust wrap?
https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch here search for heat wrap or exhaust wrap.

Why try and insulate your engine bay for the winter? maybe when u start your -30 engine block up, after you just got done picking up xxx movies, you have to wait another 5 minutes to have it get back to temp. Or you can insulate it, so you dont have a expand, contract period, hence no more engine wear. Im sure people would like "less engine wear" same thing goes in computers, the more expand contract cycles, the less predicted life of the computer.

So i was thinking maybe put a insulating mat under the hood, bolt it or glue it to the bottom of the hood, to keep heat in, ONLY for the winter. Hence the name of the thread, WINTER TIPS! OR MODS!

Thermostat is fine, you sons of multiple bitches
Old 10-21-2006, 02:29 PM

honestly i feel like im on the set of king kong, im defending myself from hundreds of oversized cockaroaches, just waiting till somebody who wants to contribute to my winter pimping throne, i have posted
Old 10-21-2006, 02:30 PM
DTS

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why keep your exhaust warm? you dumb moron, why not just freeze the exhaust pipe, it makes for denser exhaust, you stupid expletive?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you should relook your theory before you call people "stupid expletives"

perhaps a lifetime bus pass is a better solution for you.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:39 PM

maybe it was a splash of sarcasm, since somebody here said WTF? to me wanting to create a large under tray, like they have on team-integra.net, to help wisk wind away, and keep my exhaust pipes warm. Somebody said WTF to that, like hes thinking the exhaust should be kept cool?

How should i rethink my theory, i feel like your stupid DTS, hence your a stupid expletive

Oh it was you! DTS please remove yourself
Old 10-21-2006, 02:40 PM
H-T White Ops

You realize that you live in Minnessota, not a tub of liquid nitrogen, right?

Exhaust velocity, -30* engine block, cold engine bay....come on man. You're adding absolutely nothing constructive as to why you don't just want to fix your damn heater controls.
Quit being a cheap ***. Get a new stat, fix your controls and be on your happy way.
I spent 6+ years in North Dakota with various Honda cars. NONE of them ever needed me to cover up a radiator, wrap my exhaust or put a damn blanket in my engine bay to keep it cozy. I woke up in the morning, remote started my car 15 minutes before heading out and the damn thing was warm by then just by idling for those 15 minutes. Something's jacked up in your car. Instead of being a complete douche bag towards anybody cracking a joke or two your way, take some of the advice and go with it. Who knows, you might be able to drive your car in your 300 below winter and actually be warm.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:45 PM

negative, re-read my theory, My car can have heat, just fine, however the overall objective of this topic, I have started, has phased from tips on how to keep your engine warm while u do small trips and warm starts......to which member needs to take medication, and read some basic harry potter books....my car is fine, im just looking FOR OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE SOME BLOCK OFFS TO KEEP THEIR CAR/ENGINE BAY WARM AND DECREASE DRAG! and i have read multiple things about insulating your engine bay, not to keep your engine running hot, but to keep your engine at normal operating temp, at all times.

Quick Reply: Winter tips, or shall i say mods?