Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

winshield wiper won't turn off??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winshield wiper won't turn off??

so i was driving down to tallahassee and it was rainging the whole time and so when i get to my gf's house my wiper blades stay on even when i switch them off?? They turn off when the car is off but still this is weird.

For now i pulled the fuse to stop them from going but has anyone ever had this problem? I"m assuming its the swtich or something but is there anything else I should be looking for?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:29 PM
B.
400 HP Club

Default Re: winshield wiper won't turn off?? (leadtrum)

lol, I bet the little plastic ball on the inside of your wiper control arm is done... When you lift the lever to turn the wipers off it won't stay up.. I had the same problem... Go to the wreckers and pick one up for cheap..
Old 07-31-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: winshield wiper won't turn off?? (B.)

its like a switch that turns, not lifts. i don't even know how to break it open to see what's up with out destroying it.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:31 PM

Lol...it is very funny to see your story because mine has the same problem. I have to put my fuse in when it rains too. I have had it looked at by a couple of people and was told that once this happens, you have to replace the whole combination switch assembly... I bought one from a friend (haven't installed it yet), but you can get it off of EBAY and typing in "combination switch". There are only about $15.00. Good luck with yours.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: winshield wiper won't turn off?? (N_A_is_best)

yea it sucks doesn't it. my car is already a pool of problems so when this happened i jus kinna laughed a little.

its like "of course you'd mess up, why not." lol, sounds depressing but nothing surprises me with this car anymore
Old 07-31-2005, 03:38 PM

Lol...yeah it does suck. Good luck man, I know how it is
Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Trial User

hey B., i'm having that problem right now where if i lift the lever to turn the windshield wipers off, it won't stay up. i haven't messed with it yet to try and fix it...so what is this little plastic ball that needs to be replaced? and what's the wreckers? like a car parts place?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by knows_nothing
hey B., i'm having that problem right now where if i lift the lever to turn the windshield wipers off, it won't stay up. i haven't messed with it yet to try and fix it...so what is this little plastic ball that needs to be replaced? and what's the wreckers? like a car parts place?
A wrecker is a wrecking yard or a salvage yard. It's where cars go to get parts out. A junk yard.

You need the whole switch. They won't let you disassemble the switch for just one little piece and sell it to you for cheaper. Plus replacing the whole switch is easier.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
A wrecker is a wrecking yard or a salvage yard. It's where cars go to get parts out. A junk yard.

You need the whole switch. They won't let you disassemble the switch for just one little piece and sell it to you for cheaper. Plus replacing the whole switch is easier.
That is, unless you disassemble it while at the car. Then they won't know the difference. It is funny though how when you bring up generic looking (but very awkward) parts that the worker knows EXACTLY what it is, sometimes.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nooch
That is, unless you disassemble it while at the car. Then they won't know the difference. It is funny though how when you bring up generic looking (but very awkward) parts that the worker knows EXACTLY what it is, sometimes.
That's a shitty thing to do though. Theft is wrong no matter what. This is why more and more yards aren't pull-a-parts anymore.

I work at a wrecking yard. The parts are cheap already. If they're not, go to another yard. It's not like '96-'00 Civic wiper switches are hard to come by.

There are two types:
- DX hatch (has control over the rear wiper as well)
- All others (no other type has a rear wiper)

IIRC, all '96-'00 wiper switches are the same, given the above criteria.

Oh, and when I've been in other yards and bring up even little stuff that people usually steal, like bolts and bulbs and maybe even sockets, the staff usually lets me just have it for free. Sure feels a lot better getting free stuff than getting free stolen stuff.

Why is it okay to steal from wrecking yards but it's not okay to have our cars stolen?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Trial User

Default Re: winshield wiper won't turn off??

Yep. This is my first honda and the same thing happened tome on the way in to work. I wasn't even using the wiper. Got to work fine then hopped in to go get lunch and the wipers went to town on the windshield. I was like,"WTF?"
Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So just a new wiper side of the switch assembly will fix this? AKA number 8 on this picture

I was hoping it wasn't a problem in the wiper motor itself because I don't feel like taking off my cowl again. Last year I replaced the motor for another one (used) because the other one stopped working completely. Now a few days I went to turn on the wipers and they wouldn't go off. I was taking a 5 hr road trip so I was stuck looking at the wipers going even when it was sunny out and bugs were dying on my windshield, haha.

Somehow after a few hours of turning the switch from on to off really fast I got them to go off, but now I bet I can't even turn them back on (haven't wanted to try yet), so hopefully I didn't break the motor. Soon I will need them to work when I want them to because its starting to rain every day here.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the FAQs sticky for Danomatic93's thread on cleaning the light and wiper switches.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jeez that seems like a bit of a hassle. Do you think that this is definitely the problem?
I forgot to mention that after I got the wipers to finally go off, I noticed that the whole ride home I was hearing a little click every few seconds coming from the switch, almost the sound that it makes when you put your turn signal on.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I figured out the problem.
I cleaned it real nice and then I noticed that the ball tip of the black plastic piece that is responsible for moving the two contacts that switch the mode of the wiper broke. You can see the piece that broke in this picture as well as the cleaned contacts. So I guess I need to order a new wiper switch assembly unfortunately.

photo10-1.jpg?t=1336513566

Does anyone think I should clean my headlight switch assembly for the hell of it although it is not giving me any problems currently? The assembly looks a bit more complicated than the wiper one though..
Old 05-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get another one from the junkyard. I bought 3 before I got one that stayed working. 15$ at junkyard, 120$ at autozone
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got no good junkyards around here. It's about 90 from Majesty Honda. But I am trying to look for someone on here who will sell me a working one.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You might also want to check on eBay.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the 96-00 one the same as the 92-95 one?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dekorum
Is the 96-00 one the same as the 92-95 one?
no it's not,

It may look the same but the pin out on the wiring harness is not, and the 96-00 is bigger. I learned this today actually. however I was able to take them both completely apart and make a working one. PM me for tips. I have pics so I'll post tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These pics should sum it all up. You pretty much take the arm from the 96-00 and stick it inside the 92-95, It's a tight squeeze but it will fit.
NOTE: the metal leads have to match and all the mechanics must move up and down for it to work. if it doesn't work at first keep trying, it too me a few tries.
Attached Images    
Old 10-28-2019, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem. I bought another switch on Ebay and installed it. No change. Sometimes they shut off by themself after awhile but the switch seems to have a mind of its own. Anything else it can be other than a switch?
Old 10-29-2019, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a switch in the motor that controls the automatic stopping. It opens when the blades are all the way down.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
There is a switch in the motor that controls the automatic stopping. It opens when the blades are all the way down.
Thanks

Can it be reached without pulling the motor?
Old 10-30-2019, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

First get a schematic of the car to identify which motor wires go to the switch. Stop the wipers at the all the way down position by turning the key off, then unplug the motor and test continuity through the switch section. It should be open when the wipers are all the way down.

Quick Reply: winshield wiper won't turn off??