Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Windshied wipers are smeary and not "clean" when it rain.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshied wipers are smeary and not "clean" when it rain.

When its raining pretty steady out and I have the wipers on they leave like a smudge or whatever and the water never gets taken off totally. As if the water is on a nice film of grease and doesn't want to wipe of nice and clean but it wants to stay just enough to have a couting of smudge water marks. I hope you can picture it. ALSO when I wash the car. when there is water on the windshield. where the wipers travel on the windshield the water beads. But where the wipers dont go the water stays and takes on a very light blue look.

Should I get some glass cleaner or new wiper blades or what? Is there a good automotive glass cleaner?

thanks for the help
Old 07-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Windshied wipers are smeary and not "clean" when it rain. (Si Arn)

There could be oil on your wipers, or if yours are like mine, you'll need to replace them. Mine are old as **** and hardly wipe anymore. I'm too lazy to drive to the dealer, though. My laziness
Old 07-11-2003, 08:48 PM

Use Isoprophyl Alcohol on a soft cloth and wipe the grime off of them. Or you can use one of those little alcohol pads. Works pretty good. If that doesn't do the trick at all, you may need new blades, or I need a new method .
Old 07-11-2003, 08:53 PM
rus

Default Re: (Kyoji)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kyoji &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use Isoprophyl Alcohol on a soft cloth and wipe the grime off of them. Or you can use one of those little alcohol pads. Works pretty good. If that doesn't do the trick at all, you may need new blades, or I need a new method .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, Isopropyl alcohol usually does the trick. Wipe the windshield with Windex or some straight Ammonia, and you'll be in business.

Do people still use Rain-X? Haven't used it in years...

Rus
Old 07-11-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Windshied wipers are smeary and not "clean" when it rain. (Daniel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There could be oil on your wipers, or if yours are like mine, you'll need to replace them. Mine are old as **** and hardly wipe anymore. I'm too lazy to drive to the dealer, though. My laziness </TD></TR></TABLE>

You go to the dealer to get new wipers?

I use Rain-X. Love it. Works awesome. Can't live without it in the rainy Pac NW.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Windshied wipers are smeary and not "clean" when it rain. (delsolguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delsolguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You go to the dealer to get new wipers?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I know. But the autopart stores never seem to carry the right size even though it's supposed to fit my car. I eventually gave up and now buy from the dealer. It's really not that bad, though. I just wait until a local dealer sends me a coupon book, and then I go buy.