Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

window tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window tint

Hi i have a 93 del sol not that that matters, but i was wanting to know the best way to tint my windows with film or am i able to use vht night shade spray on them.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: window tint

Lots of soap and water and a heat gun or blow dryer.

I'd rather just pay someone...
Old 06-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id rather learn so eventually im the one someone will be paying to do theirs lol but thanks for the reply
Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Don't use the tint paint. Not the same physics apply I'd assume. I think it's best to stay with tint paper.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds good to me i tried it before an i messed it up a little cause i didnnt tuck the eccess paper at the bottom of the window i just cut it off an when i finished it it dried then when i put my window down it tour the paper so i was mad lol so no short cuts this time lol.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

a cop forced me to peel mine off. The people who did it shoved way too much excess in and like shoved it behind the tweeter and into the weatherstripping. Major bitch.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol your supposed to cut it an 8th away from the edges an inch extra on the bottom so you can tuck it under the weather strip so the weather strip doesnt peel it when you roll the window down. lol I skiped the inch extra part i just cut it while using the window as a stincle lol. Bad idea.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DxHatchback
Lots of soap and water and a heat gun or blow dryer.

I'd rather just pay someone...

its worth the money to pay someone, make sure they offer lifetime warranty.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i could find some place that offered that then i would pay for it but i live in ohio an this place aint got nothing.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Draiga1988
if i could find some place that offered that then i would pay for it but i live in ohio an this place aint got nothing.
Drive into Cleveland.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you decide to do it yourself, BE PATIENT! If you find yourself getting frustrated, take a break..the tint will still be there when you come back. I'd rather go a day with a few windows not done yet than do a half-*** job because I got frustrated..

I've tinted quite a few windows..they say to buy "application spray," but its just windex in a bottle basically, so I just use windex, and PLENTY of it, gotta keep that paper wet!

Plus, depending on tint laws in your area, if a cop makes you take it off..its better to have wasted a little time and ten bucks than the "x" amount of dollars you'll spend to have someone else do it.

The only problem that I always have is the back window with the curve and not being able to do it in one sheet. Once again just be patient and match up your lines perfectly for that back window if you cant do it in one sheet.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool man thanks for the info i ahd to do it before an i had probs cause i didnt keep the paper wet like i should have lol so i had a lot of bubbles an air lines in it major pain but yea patience is key with that.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Patients is key. I did my own tinting on my old s13. It's kinda fun when your using the squeegee to remove the water.. Then again i'm easily amused.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tinted a few sols. mine and friends.

basic tips - keep everything soaking wet. if anything starts drying before it should, you're fvcked
don't tint in the sun... duh.
don't use spray tint in a can.
don't buy the cheapest window tint they sell, you get what you pay for.
don't forget to check the VLT of the tint film legal in your area (how dark)
if you pay someone to do it for you (i recommend, it takes experience to do right) -- get a warranty to fix any bubbles for free, or to clean it off and re-tint to legal limits if you get a ticket.
make a stencil of your window and triple check that it will be perfect, then cut your tint from the stencil before applying it to the glass, then slide it around (everything is wet, remembeR) until it's where it belongs. everyone has their own methods and everyone thinks they know what works best, but that's bs. w/e works for you, it takes experience to figure out.
start squeeeging from the middle of the window outwards (duh)
use a silicone squeegee instead of a rubber one (rubber ones tend to scuff the tint and can pull it around and cause creases)
creases from a gust of wind when you're lining up your tint over the glass will be PERMANENT.
get a friend to help hold the tint before you stick it onto the wet glass.
i've had the best luck with waterd down dishsoap. better luck than windex.
if your glass isn't 100% clean, you will be staring at dirt under your tint for years.
don't clean your windows with ammonia based cleaners - they destroy tints and make them cloudy and hard to get off. don't use them before tints, during, or after they are on. no ammonia.
use vinnegar instead, no not balsamic vinnegar, just the regular stuff. apple cider vinnegar w/e the fck it is i dunno.

that's all that comes to mind.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:14 AM
pm4nudes

have fun. you know how long it takes to perfect? I dont know cause I gave up 2 days in it.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

The driver and passenger windows are most easily tinted with the window glass removed from the door. I did the tint job on my kitchen table. All you really need is some distilled water, dish soap, inexpensive Exacto knife, and squeegee. My windows turned out perfect.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, it's something I'd pay someone for, because I've seen so many horrible tint jobs.

My Civic was professionally tinted 10 years ago, and still looks perfect. And, on the bright side, it's actually LEGAL in Illinois now!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ha ha lol im not sure what is legal tint in ohio cause we have so many cars that drive around here for a long time that you can barely see a cell phone lit up in side them so i would asume that is almost like 2.5%- 5% visiblity lol im only want to do 20% something simple if i do 45% i might as well just leave my windows the way they are you know lol.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On my sedan I did 5% on the back window and rear passengers, and 20% on the front windows, with a 5% "sun strip" 6" thick on the top of the windshield. I only did the fronts lighter because I got them tinted BEFORE Illinois legalized tint, and for some reason I thought they would think better of me for "attempting" to make it look like the fronts weren't tinted. Unfortunately they picked me up about once a week for it, gave me the schpeil about tint being legal yadayada, but never atually wrote me a ticket, i'd say the 20% is pretty descent, thats what I did the girls g5 with and it looks real nice (for a g5) but I'd say go ***** out with the 5% even 2.5% (if your looking to be driving in a cave all day and night).
Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Draiga1988
ha ha lol im not sure what is legal tint in ohio cause we have so many cars that drive around here for a long time that you can barely see a cell phone lit up in side them so i would asume that is almost like 2.5%- 5% visiblity lol im only want to do 20% something simple if i do 45% i might as well just leave my windows the way they are you know lol.
legal tint in Ohio is 50% on the front windows and as dark as you want for all the back windows. Even if you put 20 or 30 you can still get a ticket for illegal tint. I live in Ohio as well, find a shop that installs llumar tint and more than likely they will be around for years and offer a lifetime warranty.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by sjp00422
On my sedan I did 5% on the back window and rear passengers, and 20% on the front windows, with a 5% "sun strip" 6" thick on the top of the windshield. I only did the fronts lighter because I got them tinted BEFORE Illinois legalized tint, and for some reason I thought they would think better of me for "attempting" to make it look like the fronts weren't tinted. Unfortunately they picked me up about once a week for it, gave me the schpeil about tint being legal yadayada, but never atually wrote me a ticket, i'd say the 20% is pretty descent, thats what I did the girls g5 with and it looks real nice (for a g5) but I'd say go ***** out with the 5% even 2.5% (if your looking to be driving in a cave all day and night).
I've got 30% all around, and I used to get pulled CONSTANTLY in IL. Never got a ticket though. Soooo glad they finally legalized front side tint.

Some idiot had installed 5% walmart tint all around on my Jeep before I got it, INCLUDING an 8" windshield strip. Guess that explains why it had front end damage when I bought it. Driving it home, I couldn't imagine how he could see a damned thing.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you pay someone and the tint looks factory/professional and its not too dark
the cops wont bother you and it will look really nice
otherwise you might have more problems if you do it yourself
Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Ohio and I just got two cars tinted. Guy came to my house and done it $99 per car Lifetime warranty. Give him a call and tell him Rick from Marengo reffered you.....937-241-7400
Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

legal tint in Ohio is 50% on the front windows and as dark as you want for all the back windows. Even if you put 20 or 30 you can still get a ticket for illegal tint. I live in Ohio as well, find a shop that installs llumar tint and more than likely they will be around for years and offer a lifetime warranty.
Yep. This cop got all BTTF on my *** and pulled out a tint gun, apparently the front was at 35%, I was literally going to pull it that day. I was even showing him the bubbles and tears! I didn't even have the car a day yet. The registration was still hot from the printer. But I guess the tint ticket was better than the no insurance ticket he decided not to give me
Old 06-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

find a shop that uses a computer to cut out the tints, and pay them to do it. make sure to get non-dye tint. it will most likely run you $150 - $180 but its well worth it. i have 3m 30% on all of my windows , and i love the tint, is not to light or dark, and keeps the sun out.

Quick Reply: window tint