Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

will washer trick work on 3 inch drop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will washer trick work on 3 inch drop?

Im having some uneven tire wear and want to try out the washer trick. My 2000 Civic is dropped 3 inches with coilovers and ive heard that you should use 1 washer per inch but 3 washers seems like a little much. Also, would 3 washers change the size of the bolts I need? let me know.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it would...i'd throw on at least 4 washers...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: (bmoua)

what size bolts should I use
Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tx6stringer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tx6stringer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what size bolts should I use</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://home.earthlink.net/~civ....html

the correct size is 10 x 1.25 45mm...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 PM

thanks man, but this link is actually where I got the idea in the first place. I was really wondering if using more washers would change the size from the recommended on the above link, but I guess you're saying it shouldn't so ill go ahead and try it. Also my rear passenger is tweaked out much worse than my rear passenger. Im not sure why this is but I guess Im gonna try less washers on the passeneger. Also my front seem to be okay, does lowering usually have no affect on the front tires? appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tx6stringer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks man, but this link is actually where I got the idea in the first place. I was really wondering if using more washers would change the size from the recommended on the above link, but I guess you're saying it shouldn't so ill go ahead and try it. Also my rear passenger is tweaked out much worse than my rear passenger. Im not sure why this is but I guess Im gonna try less washers on the passeneger. Also my front seem to be okay, does lowering usually have no affect on the front tires? appreciate it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you'll always get more wear on the fronts than the rears bro, i'd suggest if your going 3inches to get a camber kit like skunk2 or omni. You'll need that entire upper control arm so this way you get more adjustability, which = to good tire wear. What suspension setup are you running? they front is lower than the rear right?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:33 AM

aright man well im gonna go get some washers and the size bolts that it says on the link, throw on 4 at first and adjust it from there. if you have any better ideas just let me know. thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

uh I was told not to use camber kits.....

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1931405
Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Re: (mikeycivic)

ya man thats wat they said on that thread is exactly wat im planning on doin (washer trick on the back). camber kit on the rear would be nice but im on a tight budget.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

right but I was referring to

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you'll always get more wear on the fronts than the rears bro, i'd suggest if your going 3inches to get a camber kit like skunk2 or omni. You'll need that entire upper control arm so this way you get more adjustability, which = to good tire wear. What suspension setup are you running? they front is lower than the rear right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^ you dont need one as far as I understand
Old 04-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mikeycivic)

Tire wear is mostly attributed to the toe setting.

You can leave your camber where it falls, and set your toe to zero on all four corners, you should be fine.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Crazydave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tire wear is mostly attributed to the toe setting.

You can leave your camber where it falls, and set your toe to zero on all four corners, you should be fine.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

it all depends on how low your dropped guys, from what i know if your dropped more than 1.5 inches all around i'd recommend a camber kit. Example... if your dropped at 2.25 inches up front and 2inches in the rear your not supposed to get a camber kit and get just a alignment? i've heard so many damn stories of people who drop lower than 1.5inches and get camber wear. A alignment does help but it wont help to the full extent. do the washer trick bro, its going to help. I come from first hand experience, i've seen the difference on tire wear from not having a camber kit and having a camber kit. The washer trick made a big difference in the rear for me. My buddy followed me back home after my alignment/washer trick job and he said my rear tires were perfectly straight. I get no wear what so ever in the front or rear now and its been over 30k driving on the streets/freeways. If you want to listen to people who are telling you to not throw on a camber kit/washer trick becuz your dropped 3inches, i hope you'll be happy to be paying for sets of tires every 2-3 months. goodluck bro...
Old 04-03-2007, 10:21 AM

im with you totally man. I just had to put down $110 to replace a blown falken on the driver rear and it was only worn on the inside plus, my tire is noticably slanted. Im doin the washer trick and then getting an alignment. I really wanted to know how many washers and the specific specs of this procedure but you say four so im gonna try it out. "LETTING THE CAMBER FALL WHERE IT WILL" IS NOT SMART.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think both of you need to do a little more research....

other than I did it, so it must be right.

A majority of tire wear comes from the toe setting, not the camber.

If you run 2.5* of camber and have zero toe, your tires are not going to wear out in 2-3 months.

If you run 0* of camber and have zero toe, your tires are not going to wear out in 2-3 months.

If you run 0* of camber and have 1/8" of toe out. You will KILL your tires in 2-3 months.

If you run 2.5* of camber and have 1/8" of toe out, you will KILL your tires in 2-3 months..

Toe is the killer of tires not camber.

The tire is not fighting with road when it has camber, it rolls along happily.

But when the tire is toed in/out, the tire is rolling in different direction that the actual travel. This is what causes the wear.

When you have camber and toe, then it's more apparent. But the wear is not due to the camber. Its from the toe

I always recommend an alignment, when you change a suspension. But getting a camber kit or the washer trick is not what is going to save your tires, it's the toe alignment.

If you are not auto-x or tracking your car, and you don' t have any rubbing issues, a camber kit won't hurt. Just don't expect it to do much.

Remeber this, anytime you touch anything on your suspension, get an alignment done.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think both of you need to do a little more research....

If you run 2.5* of camber and have zero toe, your tires are not going to wear out in 2-3 months.

If you run 0* of camber and have zero toe, your tires are not going to wear out in 2-3 months.

If you run 0* of camber and have 1/8" of toe out. You will KILL your tires in 2-3 months.

If you run 2.5* of camber and have 1/8" of toe out, you will KILL your tires in 2-3 months..

But when the tire is toed in/out, the tire is rolling in different direction that the actual travel. This is what causes the wear.

When you have camber and toe, then it's more apparent. But the wear is not due to the camber. Its from the toe

I always recommend an alignment, when you change a suspension. But getting a camber kit or the washer trick is not what is going to save your tires, it's the toe alignment.

If you are not auto-x or tracking your car, and you don' t have any rubbing issues, a camber kit won't hurt. Just don't expect it to do much.

Remeber this, anytime you touch anything on your suspension, get an alignment done.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your saying you'll drop your car below 2.5 inches (or in this case 3inches) and be happy with just getting a alignment? how low are you dropped? i want to see some proof that your below 1.5inches, not running a camber kit at all, and have no sort of tire wear what so ever? o and yes i know that its becuz of your toe that causes your tires to wear bro. I'd just like you to prove to me that dropping your car 3inches all around and getting a alignment is going to fix it? Slam your car 3inches and go get a alignment to fix your toe bro, then post the results. i know for any other case if your dropped only 1.5 inches or above you'll be fine with a alignment ( i mentioned that in my recent post) but if your going to give advice to a person whos going 3inches all around to just get a alignment thats just plain wrong bro. tx6stringer, if your reading this go ahead and drop it 3inches and go get a alignment....after you get back tell us what the mechanic told you to do/fix. Im 100% sure he'll tell you, "Sir you'll need a camber kit up front and in the rear,you are dropped way below stock specs, if you want we can order that for you and its only going to cost $300..."yea $300 for a no name brand camber kit. what do you know you get home and check for your rear camber kits and what will you see? YOu'll see that they charged you $150 just for doing the washer trick. somebody kill this thread
Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 AM

haha you guys crack me up! im bout to do the washer trick on friday. ill let yall know how it goes. crazy dave, you're a dumbass. It's common sense, camber AND toe both affect tire wear. If a tire is not running exactly straight there will some kind of uneven tire wear; its physics.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think both of you need to do a little more research....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm with him on this. Toe is what kill your tires.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Common sense will tell you that toe is responsible for 80-90% of the tire wear. You obviously didn't read my post.

Will having a camber kit help... yes but it's contribution will be little, especially on the rear tires.

Technically yes, the camber kit will help.

But will it be noticeable. No.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

washer trick worked for me