Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Will these keep my rims from being stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these keep my rims from being stolen?

I didn't really know where else to put this.. cause it is not really about appearence, but oh well.

Do you think these lug nuts will keep me from having my rims stolen?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33749

Any other ideas on what to get would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Will these keep my rims from being stolen? (Xerxes3333)

I bought my del with those on. Definetly not. Any body who wants to jackem will, and on top of that you can go buy that same hex key from walmart.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:19 AM
HT Black Ops

nope
Old 04-11-2004, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will these keep my rims from being stolen? (pakman2002)

and ideas on something better to get then? or am I pretty much just helpless?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad fact is, if a thief wants it, they can get it, if they can't get it, they usually destroy it trying.
HT Black Ops

Park your car in a garage, get a lojack system...Theives rarely steal Civic's rims anymore, they just take the entire car, it's easier to take the car, then it is to jack the car up in a parking lot and take the tires off without getting spotted
Honda-Tech Member

Just remember. a theif might just want your rims.... locks wont do more but tempt the guy to take the whole thing to make it easier.. jus make sure to have protection all around
Old 04-11-2004, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an viper alarm on my car, and I always park it in my garage. Luckily I live in a very low crime city as well. However, I will be going to College in 4 months and I don't want them to be stolen there. I think I will be alright. It will mainly be parked by whatever dorm I am staying at, and I think the alarm might keep them from stealing them. Let's just hope...

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:32 AM
HT Black Ops

Default Re: (Xerxes3333)

Get yourself a lojack system, it's so worth it....If someone moves your car without your keyphob in it, they call you and ask if your car is authorized to be moved..If not they notify the police and have your car back within 24 hours... Best $900 I ever spent
Old 04-11-2004, 01:51 AM

Default Re: (92 civic VX B18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 civic VX B18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get yourself a lojack system, it's so worth it....If someone moves your car without your keyphob in it, they call you and ask if your car is authorized to be moved..If not they notify the police and have your car back within 24 hours... Best $900 I ever spent</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only bad thing about that is your car can be stripped in a lot less than 24 hours. I would look into one of those boots that the police put on your car when you dont pay your tickets. I know its less than $900 and prevents your car from being moved anywhere. Just my .02
Old 04-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94_HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The only bad thing about that is your car can be stripped in a lot less than 24 hours. I would look into one of those boots that the police put on your car when you dont pay your tickets. I know its less than $900 and prevents your car from being moved anywhere. Just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>
interesting idea.. but it doesn't stop a theif from taking everything off your car and/or vandalizing it and instead of a stolen car you could have a giant paperweight with a boot on it. also, it's not impossible to get one of those boots off, the sad truth is that theives(if motivated enough) can take ANY car
Old 04-11-2004, 02:35 AM
HT Black Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The only bad thing about that is your car can be stripped in a lot less than 24 hours. I would look into one of those boots that the police put on your car when you dont pay your tickets. I know its less than $900 and prevents your car from being moved anywhere. Just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>How does a boot prevent you car from being loaded onto a flatbed?
Old 04-11-2004, 03:03 AM

Default Re: (92 civic VX B18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 civic VX B18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How does a boot prevent you car from being loaded onto a flatbed?</TD></TR></TABLE>

becuase the won't be able to pull it the wheels won't turn

unless it has a really really strong winch
Old 04-11-2004, 03:41 AM

Default Re: (94blackhatch)

I have Gorilla wheel locks on my car. They have a pretty unique key. If a thief is carrying around all the gorilla key combos, they deserve my rims.

I agree with everyone else though, make sure you secure more then just the wheels and get theft/vandalism insurance.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:55 AM

Default Re: (jcarothers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jcarothers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the sad truth is that theives(if motivated enough) can take ANY car </TD></TR></TABLE>

The harder you make it to steal your car the more likely the thief is to find a more vulnerable target. Make the guy think its not worth the hassle and he will keep on walking. The only investment in your car that should be plainly visible is your security(except kill switches).
Old 04-11-2004, 03:56 AM

Quickest way to take those lugs off is to hammer a lil larger socket into it an then take them off. Get something better an not as long in length.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:00 AM
overrated.

Default Re: (glimsmyte)

those "tuner" lugs are easy as hell to take off, considering EVERY SET of tuner lugs is the same design.

I work at a tire place and see these things all the time, buy 1 key, you can unlock them all.

Neatest locks i've seen are the Ray's locking lugnuts, the lock lugnut is a slightly different shape and no socket will fit it except for the lock key, it's hard to explain, but pretty cool...
Old 04-11-2004, 07:08 AM

the splinedrives are a pretty decent too , yeah most tuner lugs are made to have a second to get them off in case of the loss of the wheel lock key
Old 04-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (94SiHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94SiHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have Gorilla wheel locks on my car. They have a pretty unique key. If a thief is carrying around all the gorilla key combos, they deserve my rims.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those keys are not rare at all.

If you guys think that some tuner lug is going to keep your wheels from being stolen, then you guys are nieve.

About the only thing I can think to do to slow a wheel thief down or possibly even deter him from stealing your wheels would be to buy a set of Gorilla lugs, a set of some other tuner lug like a Kyokugen, and then buy two sets of wheel locks with seperate keys.

This will suck any time you ever need to remove the wheels because you'll need 4 different keys, but it's about the only thing I can think of.

In any event it's not too hard to remove lugs if you don't care about damaging them. I won't detail how, but it's super easy and my shop has to do it once in a while when a customer loses his/her key and buys new ones.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Those keys are not rare at all.

If you guys think that some tuner lug is going to keep your wheels from being stolen, then you guys are nieve.

About the only thing I can think to do to slow a wheel thief down or possibly even deter him from stealing your wheels would be to buy a set of Gorilla lugs, a set of some other tuner lug like a Kyokugen, and then buy two sets of wheel locks with seperate keys.

This will suck any time you ever need to remove the wheels because you'll need 4 different keys, but it's about the only thing I can think of.

In any event it's not too yard to remove lugs if you don't care about damaging them. I won't detail how, but it's super easy and my shop has to do it once in a while when a customer loses his/her key and buys new ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good words, Tom. You always make sense

Just remember this: If someone wants something bad enough, they will have it. Just worry about keeping your rims on for safety issues, not whether you can trust them to be there the next day.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:21 AM

The truth is pretty much all wheel locks can be removed with very little effort if you have the right tools. I used to work at a tire center and would have to remove wheel locks all the time when customers would loose their keys or buy a car and not be given the key, etc. I have never encountered a wheel lock that I couldn't get off withing 60 seconds

Lock Lugs and all other security measures are only deterants. They will not stop a determined and halway intelligent thief.

The best locks that have been the hardest to remove were ones that have a bulge around the outside perimeter of the lock whcih makes it hard to get the tool or socket to grab it. The tool that I'm talking about will still be able to get it off but it's harder to do with a manual breaker type bar but will pop em loose with ease if you have an impact gun.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Will these keep my rims from being stolen? (h22avid)

BTW:

Wheel locks that are completely smooth on the outside and have an indention in a weird shape with a corresponding key are better than tuner lugs for security. h22avid was right on by saying that too.

Tuner lugs are awesome for having smaller diameters and slim keys, which help you keep from scratching wheels when removing and tightenting lugs, but they are not much for security.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

kill switch, check.
Crazy rottweiler, check.
Crazy dad with big guns, check.

There's my security system.
I'll save my $900.
I do have Gorilla lugs, but I wouldn't consider them a security feature. Who the hell would steal fuggly matt black wheels anyway. Ricers around here say 'what a piece of ****, it doesn't even have hubs'.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IDriveAHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IDriveAHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hell would steal fuggly matt black wheels anyway. Ricers around here say 'what a piece of ****, it doesn't even have hubs'. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Someone who can make a quick $300 on ebay or H-T classifieds--that's who. Wheels don't exactly have VIN #'s.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gamby)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gamby &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Someone who can make a quick $300 on ebay or H-T classifieds--that's who. Wheels don't exactly have VIN #'s. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That was also a joke..

Quick Reply: Will these keep my rims from being stolen?