Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Will it sound bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will it sound bad?

Will it sound raspy and just crappy if I get an exhaust just straight back 2 1/4" no cat or resonator to a Dynomax Thrush Turbo muffler

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs...96_-1

i LOVE the way it sounds now with the stock cat and an 18" resonator.Just a little louder than stock in the low rpm's and throaty at WOT,but the piping hangs SO LOW and scrapes over anything.I cant get it to hang any higher either because it's all bent and patched up.

What do you guys think?I dont want to mess up a perfectly sounding exhaust but how low it hangs is/has been really bothering me.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:51 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, taking out any form of resonation is going to make it sound very metallic and raspy.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Swaggylicious

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, taking out any form of resonation is going to make it sound very metallic and raspy. </TD></TR></TABLE>damn,maybe they can cut the resonator that's on my current piping and put in on the new piping?and leave the cat there?hmmm
Old 03-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will it sound bad? (sam21)

it will have a major HUM noise while you drive because you have no resonator...gets kinda annoying but you gain a lot of performance with it....it will sound really aggressive and loud at first.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:44 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Will it sound bad? (breaker360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by breaker360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will have a major HUM noise while you drive because you have no resonator...gets kinda annoying but you gain a lot of performance with it....it will sound really aggressive and loud at first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please, tell me how much performance you'll gain? 10whp? 20whp? 50whp?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (Eran)

eleventy billion to be exact.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (Eran)

It depends what other setup you have for it to give you any real gains I would have thought. E.g good intake and exhaust headers etc
Old 03-19-2007, 02:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (crossbones)

lol i love these honda tech guys, im going to be pusing 18psi on a t3/t4 but im going to use 1.75 inch piping for the exhaust so its teh sleeporz.........................2 days later you get a thread "why did my turbo greande i thought the more back pressure the more power"

backspin mothafucka is all im going to say, also backpresure is a myth, imagine the exhaust as a fluid but not replacing the fluidwith air just constant stream of water
Old 03-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (spork motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
backspin mothafucka is all im going to say, also backpresure is a myth, imagine the exhaust as a fluid but not replacing the fluidwith air just constant stream of water </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am assuming you're talking about turbo applications correct?

Backpressure is your friend for N/A or say good bye to your valves

If you decide to go with a 2 1/4 inch exhaust and put in your existing resonator you just defeated the purpose of the exhaust. If you are doing it because you have money to burn and want to "sound" cool then go for it. But if you actually plan on seeing the 5whp gain then go with a higher flowing resonator that belongs in it.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (Dunn@ITS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunn@ITS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your valves are in no way in danger with little backpressure.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Will it sound bad? (breaker360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by breaker360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will have a major HUM noise while you drive because you have no resonator...gets kinda annoying but you gain a lot of performance with it....it will sound really aggressive and loud at first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If by alot of performance you mean 5whp then thats probably about right
Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (standbackimapro)

The horrible sound is not worth the small amount of power you will gain!!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:56 AM

what motor? probably will be loud and raspy no matter what but my friend had a test pipe and no resonator on his b18c1 and it was very loud and annoying
Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 AM

You do gain quite a bit of power, however it ranges...d-series you get about 1.5hp @ crank, a turbo b20 you get maybe 8hp @ crank. Well worth it if you dont mind going def, making your car blend in with all the other 83' toyotas with rusted through mufflers.

I did the testpipe/resonator and I lost a girlfriend over it, since it was SO ****** loud. Put the OEM cat converter back on, and things are gonig much smoother.

I would ONLY use a testpipe/resonator if Im turboed
Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

I had the same set up. It's loud..and pretty raspy. Heres a video.

http://vids.myspace.com/index....86825

mines the louder one lol

Edit: Saw your going with no cat..yea its gonna be even louder hah. I liked how that muffler looks though.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (kuja396)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kuja396 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your valves are in no way in danger with little backpressure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're missing what he is saying. In an N/A engine, a bit of backpressure is needed. They are in danger without any backpressure. N/A engines run off of vacuum, and backpressure help with it. I' m pretty sure that is the basics of it, somebody with better knowledge feel free to chime in
Old 03-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Will it sound bad? (Dunn@ITS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunn@ITS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

my valves are still perfect. i run an open HYTECH.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (MR.johnson)

The idea was back pressure helped to cool the valves and keep them from burning. once the valve burned they no longer sealed well and you loose compression to the point that the cylinder will no longer hold any compression. It was the same idea as using lead in the fuel to cool the valves. I have read many post in recent years about it being okay to run without/ very low back pressure but I don't think I would risk it on a dd
Old 03-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (instructor74)

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There we go, so for all you guys who say backpressure is useless, do some reading. No one is saying restrict the hell out of your car, but dont put a 2.5" exhaust on a stock N/A motor or say goodbye after a few seasons.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:30 PM

why dont you go vtec yourself, i have a 2.5" exhaust on my daily D' and things are fine. You son of a JDM
Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Will it sound bad? (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The idea was back pressure helped to cool the valves and keep them from burning. once the valve burned they no longer sealed well and you loose compression to the point that the cylinder will no longer hold any compression. It was the same idea as using lead in the fuel to cool the valves. I have read many post in recent years about it being okay to run without/ very low back pressure but I don't think I would risk it on a dd</TD></TR></TABLE>

but with that logic wouldnt you say putting a restrictive filter on a car is better?

becuase the intake valves are in the same combustion chamber

also if you have excessive backpressure in the syestem, the effect of valve overlap is useless, and more of the combustion chamber is filled with nonusable non burnable CO
Old 03-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you live in CA dont even think about it...haha anywhere else go ahead if you like the setup
Old 03-19-2007, 12:53 PM

why dont you all drink some vtec fluid and STFU, this whole back pressure thing is making me wanna turbo you in the face! there is no such thing. Its EXHAUST VELOCITIES! the velocity needs to be high. and having a larger exhaust decreases the velocities. Simple as that.

restrictions in a larger exhaust only hurt performance because it slows the velocities of the gasses down, making the gases cooler, FUckit it just hurts performance, unless you have enough of a bad *** motor to punch these gasses in the face.

having a smaller sized exhaust with 0 restrictions is the best, its just common sense, you need to visualize the win my friends. The best exhaust is tuned to the output of the engine. Size does matter, and only saying a 2.25" is best is a bunch of BS. you never know, a 1.75 could be better with 0 restrictions.

For exhaust your going for most efficiency, since were dealing with flow, you need the gasses passing through that pipe to be as fast as possible. So a smaller pipe with 0 restrictions &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; a larger pipe with "back pressure"

these "back pressure" myths are for emissions and noise control. expletive all that.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Swaggylicious

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

lol,um how did we start with this back pressure talk?

anyways,i am NOT looking for any performance gain.The engine is just a stock d15B7.While I was adjusting my coilovers today I noticed that my cat is BANGED up,like there's at least 4-5 BIG dents on it....which made me think maybe it's the cat that's scraping a lot.But WTF there are people that are much lower than me and they have way more clearance,I dont get it.....

here's a clip of my exhaust btw
http://vids.myspace.com/index....45826

Quick Reply: Will it sound bad?