Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Will I need to compress these springs when lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will I need to compress these springs when lowering?

I've heard that you DON'T need to compress the springs depending on the car..

I have a 99 Civic, I am going to try to afford some Eibach pro-kits, but I'm not 100% sure whether I need a spring compressor tool for these with the stock shocks..

Is it possible without the tool?
Old 01-06-2003, 09:21 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Will I need to compress these springs when lowering? (Nameless)

its possible to take them off w/o a compressor (very fatal) but, unless youre he-man (yes, i said he-man) you will need a compressor to put them on. as far as ive experienced, you only dont need a compressor when putting on coilovers.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right you don't need to compress the springs since the mass of the car and gravity will take care of that. What you do need is something to decompress the stock springs when taking apart the assembly. Just go to a auto parts store and get one...it's safer that way. BTW my friend got something that is set up like a vice but it attaches to the coils on the spring and you loosen the bolt to slowly decompress the spring...and good news is they are cheap.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah you do need to compress the stock springs in order to put something else on for example lowering springs or coilovers..the way that my brother taught me was to shoot it (bad idea) instead of renting out the strut compressor.. IMO it was a little bit harder since it took longer time buy it was well worth it then having two eyes to start with and finishing up the car with one eye...heehee
Old 01-07-2003, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Will I need to compress these springs when lowering? (-=[]DeLSoLaTrOn[]=-)

put it in a blanket and hit it with the gun it will come right off. Just dont stick your head right in front of it!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I need to compress these springs when lowering? (js96ek)

put it in a blanket and hit it with the gun it will come right off. Just dont stick your head right in front of it!
I also put a bucket in front of it, so when it flies out, it won't fly all over the garage. I've lost a few of those nuts that go on top and a few washers before...

*I've only used a spring compressor once, and it took forever. Now I just pop it out w/o one*
Old 01-07-2003, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I need to compress these springs when lowering? (Jay-C)

Yeah I'm that guy that has the spring compress/decompress tool. I normally use it just in case, but I've done it without them before. Actually, almost everytime I do them for myself I don't use them but when I have other people working with me I do for their safety.

My friends normally put the shock in a chain link fence, against the curb, blankets, or something else. The important thing is that you aren't standing right over it like a fool as you loosen the top nut.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Will I need to compress these springs when lowering?

you dont NEED a compressor. i put on all four of mine without one. its not a problem getting them on the car if its on a lift. i dont know what you are using. the hardest part is the nut at the top. it sucks.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Will I need to compress these springs when lowering? (js96ek)

LOL oh yeahhhhh !!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I need to compress these springs when lowering? (Jay-C)

Right you don't need to compress the springs since the mass of the car and gravity will take care of that.
How are you going to get the top metal hat on the set-up with the spring / shock installed and the weight of the car compressing it

Anyhow, go to Autozone and rent a spring compressor for $40 and you get all your $$ back at the end when returned. You'll NEVER get the springs back together without having the compressors. ONly coilovers work that way as stated above. Been there done that, Autozone is where you need to go
Old 01-07-2003, 05:26 AM

You can drop the spring and strut assembly/component down from the bottom.

Its removing the top nut from the boot of the strut, thats where you may want to compress or just use the blanket and a wall method. As soon as you open up this nut the spring will go BOING !!!

So play it safe with a spring compressor or just aim for the wall and hold it down with a blanket. Either way it comes out just dont shoot your eye, its also a good way to test your reflexes.

and yeah you can rent a compressor from autozone.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I need to compress these springs when lowering? (22lbGS-R)

its possible to take them off w/o a compressor (very fatal) but, unless youre he-man (yes, i said he-man) you will need a compressor to put them on. as far as ive experienced, you only dont need a compressor when putting on coilovers.
I took my stock springs off and also put on some Eiback springs by my self with out any compressor.

I guess I am He-man
Old 01-07-2003, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Will I need to compress these springs when lowering? (Civichatch972)

I've never used a compressor... I rented one to use once probably 6 years ago, but I didn't end up using it, it's easy enough without.

peaces.