Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

will HIDs drain my battery quicker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will HIDs drain my battery quicker?

will HIDs drain my battery quicker? should i get a higher output battery for them?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: will HIDs drain my battery quicker? (tallblondkid)

the car should be running when you have the lights on anyway. Definently not. Their would be no reason to upgrade the power system for just the lights. They are actually more efficient and that is why they are brighter.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:19 PM

u wont drain battery cause once the car is started ur using your alternator...
and hids are just high intenisity they actually take less power.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicrida3)

thanks for the help!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HID's left on with the car shut off will definitely drain your battery in a matter of minutes.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicrida3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicrida3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u wont drain battery cause once the car is started ur using your alternator...
and hids are just high intenisity they actually take less power.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-25-2004, 08:53 PM
aka010010

[quote= kayOs]HID's left on with the car shut off will definitely drain your battery in a matter of minutes. [quote]

it will not, it uses less power therefore it takes longer to drain the battery.

how do i know? it happens sometimes
Old 01-25-2004, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (aka010010)

[QUOTE=aka010010][quote= kayOs]HID's left on with the car shut off will definitely drain your battery in a matter of minutes. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it will not, it uses less power therefore it takes longer to drain the battery.

how do i know? it happens sometimes</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think he was being sarcastic.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:06 AM

Default Re: (EJ1Z6)

i hope so
Old 01-26-2004, 05:09 AM
This user can set his title.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure your car is always running. If you leave your HID's on without starting up your car then it's will suck power like a ****.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:11 AM

it will draw just as much current as a regular headlight the amplifier is what makes the extra power and they won't dim from stereo
Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will HIDs drain my battery quicker? (scratchy)

Everybody who says no is correct. It is a more efficient bulb do to the gas charge (Xenon). It will NOT drain your battery quicker.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:15 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: will HIDs drain my battery quicker? (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Everybody who says no is correct. It is a more efficient bulb do to the gas charge (Xenon). It will NOT drain your battery quicker.</TD></TR></TABLE>

People who actually know what they are talking about make me a happy person. Just because HID's are BRIGHTER doesnt mean they drain the battery more quickly or use more resources. HID's are actually much more efficient than regular lights, and they won't drain the batter as fast.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (KayOs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KayOs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HID's left on with the car shut off will definitely drain your battery in a matter of minutes. </TD></TR></TABLE>
WTF is up with people these days *** - HIDs draw on 35watts (after the xenon gas is excited) compared to most halogens that draw 55watts. The ballast are required because the are need to send the initial charge (over 100watts) to excite the bulbs (first few seconds) :shakes head:
Old 01-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (adirondackR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adirondackR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
WTF is up with people these days ***</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stop me if you've heard this one.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something".

Plato
Old 01-26-2004, 07:28 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: will HIDs drain my battery quicker? (Ki3t)

Originally Posted by Ki3t
Just make sure your car is always running. If you leave your HID's on without starting up your car then it's will suck power like a ****.
Did you even read the replies before?
Don't reply if you don't know what you're talking about.

HID - USE MUCH LESS power than stock (in most cases...)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ultra-Vision HID Conversion Kits give off a daylight-like white beam illuminating the road ahead resulting in more confident driving in all weather conditions.
High efficiency lamp drivers for solar applications. Our Ultra High Efficiency Lighting Conversion System allows the new breed of head lamp system to be driven directly from DC sources with the advantage of fast start and instant restrike.
Recent innovations in HID head lamp system have delivered high light outputs, quality daylight color with substantial power savings over conventional lighting technology. K2 has taken this stage on with a single stage switch-mode DC input lamp driver optimised for ultra-high efficiency, longer life span, reducing further installation power consumption, weight, size and cost.
Our HID conversion kit can be retrofitted for almost any vehicle that uses a 9000 series halogen bulb -ie. 9004 / 9005 / 9006 (HB4) / 9007 and an H-series - ie. H1 / H4 (9003) / H7 as its low beams. All of our kits are beam pattern corrected for direct bolt-on installation with NO MODIFICATIONS required. That means both Halogens and HIDs can be interchangeable and so all you have to do is only mount the ballasts and plug the bulbs in.
Our goal is to deliver the best in lighting technology to high performance automotive enthusiasts. By offering direct plug-in HID components tuned by KoolGlo, irreversible headlamp housing modifications are no longer needed. With precision engineering and reliability, Our HID kits are a definite winner.
Get the latest and brightest technology available anywhere - for your vehicle. Be the first in your area to benefit from HID Lights.

We introduce our new line of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting applications. This line of KoolGlo products leverages the many attributes of the new micro discharge lighting technology. These lighting systems require a special micro discharge Bulb and electronic Ballast. Longer bulb life, often outlasting the life of vehicle. Extremely durable and vibration resistant/ no filament to break. Runs much cooler than halogen.
The following attributes can be leveraged to enhance night driving when compared to either Halogen or older incandescent systems:

MORE LIGHT OUTPUT

A 35 watt HID lamp produces up to 3 times the lumens at the light source when compared to a conventional standard 55 watt Halogen lamp.

A VARIETY OF H.I.D. COLOR

Besides Clear White look of HID bulbs, now a variety of HID light color version available as an optional extra - Extra White (More White) / Super White (Greenish White) / Crystal White (Violescent White) / Blue White (Bluish White).

LOWER POWER CONSUMPTION

A 55 watt Halogen lamp draws a constant 10 Amps, while an HID lamp in steady state draws in 4 Amps (60% less power). As a result of lower power consumption, less heat is dissipated by the HID lighting systems and more power from the engine.

LONGER SERVICE LIFE

An HID lamp will last four to five times as long as a halogen lamp. We guarantee at least 2,000 Hrs. For most people, this translates into the life of the vehicle and probably the life of the next vehicle as well.
The HID conversion kit is covered by a 1-year limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and conditions. The warranty is void if the cause of damage or failure is due to abuse, neglect, improper installation, use other than the intended application, accidents, natural disasters, or acts of God.
All bulbs are tested and burned in prior to delivery. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So, to answer the question: HID uses 35 watts, which is really low, therefore frees up alternator usage, which could free up HP... Maybe .05 HP...

Modified by 976 at 8:50 AM 1/26/2004