Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Will ex spindles work with integra calipers? yes i searched for 2 hours

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will ex spindles work with integra calipers? yes i searched for 2 hours

So the question up there^ and a few others. I know that both spindles have 10.3" rotors. But I also read on here before that the spindles are different and can affect suspension geometry. This is going on my 95 CX BTW. Also, what is it that determines whether or not the parts have ABS? Is it the spindle, caliper, etc.? And does the spindle HAVE TO come off of an ex sedan? Do I need UCA or LCA too?
Here's what I have so far on my parts list, correct/add to it if I'm wrong:

1. EX spindles
2. integra calipers
3. SS lines
4. pads and rotors
5. 40 40 or 30 30 prop valve (not sure what these do or what's the difference)
6. 91 ex 15/16 MC

That's all i can think of for now
Thanks for any input
-Austin

PS: So I don't get 10 pm's asking what my avatar is, it's a colon polyp
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will ex spindles work with integra calipers? yes i searched for 2 hours (Bull_head360)

Well... Actually, "Spindles" are used in the Rear, where the Hub/Bearing spins around the Spindle's Shaft. For the Front, "Knuckles" hold the pressed-in Bearing in place, and the Hub is then pressed into the Bearing (the Axle's splines go into the Hub's center).

So.. "Spindle" = outter part is in motion, inner part is fixed.
And "Knuckle" = outter part is fixed, inner part is in motion.

And now, back to your question...
Since you mention the 10.3" Rotors, we'll assume you're talking about the Front Knuckles, and a Non-Type-R DC Integra...

(edit: oops, I assumed you had a 99-00 EX 2DR since you said "both are 10.3")
The USDM 94 CX 3DR did NOT have a 10.3" Front Rotor. According to the BREMBO OEM Catalog, it had a 240mm Rotor...

Unless you've already swapped out your Knuckles, You're gonna have to change them out. The Geometry you should be mainly concerned about is the distance from the center of the Hub/Bearing to the Caliper Mounting Points on the Knuckle. If you're still running your CX Knuckles, this won't work. If you have 99-00 2DR EX/SI Knuckles, then they are the correct size for your 10.3" Rotors/Calipers, but the Knuckle might not be the "correct" size for your Chassis... You'll have to do some digging to get confirmation, as I remember reading about people having problems running DC/EK Front Knuckles on EGs...

Some Integras had ABS, and used a bigger Caliper Piston (giving slightly different Hydraulic characteristics). You'll have to tell us more about WHICH Integra the donor parts are from, and people here will be able to guide you better. Give us the Year, Make, Model, Doors, Trim for the donor car, and we will be able to help you more...

GL!
JasonGhostz
Old 05-11-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Will ex spindles work with integra calipers? yes i searched for 2 hours (JasonGhostz)

I checked the parts# on the Knuckles from a 94 Civic Ex W/ABS and they are the same as a 96 Integra LS. The ABS Civic EG had the 10.3 rotors with smaller calipers then the DC. As far as the geometry being off I cant see why when they are the same part #
Old 05-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will ex spindles work with integra calipers? yes i searched for 2 hours (singlestic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by singlestic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I checked the parts# on the Knuckles from a 94 Civic Ex W/ABS and they are the same as a 96 Integra LS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to know! Maybe this would be a good thread to post links to a reference sheet listing the OEM PNs for the Knuckles, which models they're found on (stock), and a list of Calipers that will "properly fit" them, and the differences between the Calipers that do fit properly. I don't think the "x brakes on y car" goes to this depth, but I haven't read it in a long time... (its a 15 page thread!!!)
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=152884

Here's a link to another one (for EKs, but good info regardless...):
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1513752

JasonGhostz
Old 05-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for clearing that up about the knuckle/spindle thing. I read that post like a month and a half ago and they referred to them as "front spindles" AND that was the thread that i looked for for the 2 hours, lol. But none the less they dont talk about the knuckle height which is what I am after.

There was a post that I saw that talked about knuckle height but I can't seem to find that one either. Good info though that they have the same part numbers, that will make it easier to search for.

But to clear things up from earlier, I have the stock cx brake setup right now, and I'm only going to upgrade the front. I'm leaving the stock drums alone and will upgrade the shoes in time.

As for the doner car, looking on http://www.car-part.com, there are tons of places that have the parts i need, so there is no particular doner car. I'm a little worried that the bearings might not be included (hub assembly?) or they will be worn out, so i'll shoot for a newer year.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between oem rotors versus oem blanks from brembo? and just to clarify, for which car should I get the SS lines for? I'm thinking civic should be fine.

Thanks for the info guys, it's really nice to have your questions answered without getting flamed.

Modified by Bull_head360 at 2:22 AM 5/12/2006
Old 05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bull_head360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bull_head360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There was a post that I saw that talked about knuckle height but I can't seem to find that one either. Good info though that they have the same part numbers, that will make it easier to search for.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The good thing is that there IS a member of your chassis family that had the larger 262mm Rotor... the 1994 SI + ABS. Based on this, you should not have any problems with things like clearance and geometry.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bull_head360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone know if there is any difference between oem rotors versus oem blanks from brembo?</TD></TR></TABLE>
There is no difference. The "Brembo Blanks" are designed to be OEM Replacements.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bull_head360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... and just to clarify, for which car should I get the SS lines for? I'm thinking civic should be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You'll have to get someone else to chime in here, since I neither have an EG, nor ABS... I'd say go with Hoses for the 94 SI+ABS. My main concern would be whether or not the absence or presence of ABS accounts for differences in the end fittings between the Hard Line and the Soft Line Hoses, since you don't (shouldn't) have ABS. The 94 SI+ABS uses a Knuckle that fits your chassis family AND has the 262mm Rotor, so the Knuckles, Brackets, and Hoses are VERY likely to line up properly with your 95 CX... but, you'll have to get someone else to confirm it.

The Soft Line Hose to Caliper end is less of a worry, since the 94 SI+ABS, the 96 LS (ABS), *AND* the 94 SI (non-ABS) all use the same Front Banjo Bolt (46462-SE0-000).

Anyway, let us know how you do, and what you do! Hope this helped! GL!
JasonGhostz
Old 05-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good info, thanks again Jason for everything. maybe i'll actually do a write up for this sort of thing...(i dont think i've ever seen one on here)
Old 05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**Update** So I just bought the fast brakes kit which eliminates the need to buy front knuckles off of a different vehicle, therefore eliminating the risk of a possible alignment issue later on, plus I get 11" rotors instead of 10.3" but still use the integra caliper. Now all I need are the calipers, MC, and fluid.