Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Will apexi vafc II make difference on JDM d15b?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will apexi vafc II make difference on JDM d15b?

Hi, I was going to buy an Apexi VAFC II for my honda del sol with JDM D15B Vtec.
Will it helps and makes any difference or it will not be worth it on a SOHC D-Series?
thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will apexi vafc II make difference on JDM d15b?

?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems to me that if you were install the Apexi VAFC2 on a Full on BPU Vehicle minus the ECU upgrade (in some case's as the Apexi Vafc 2 is a ECU HACK) and get it tuned properly on a Dyno adjusting the AFR setting to a more smoother curve or curved to your "driving style / current engine setup" thus allowing maybe 5-10 HP gain if tuned properly.

For the D15B with the proper ECU chipped being the P28 is the more frequently used as an Upgrade and in most ppl's opinion's they will tell you that is all you need, usually following up with a comment about how the Apexi Unit itself is trash and obsolete.

Which is true in the sense that it's obsolete but not completely useless as HP can be made with it provided tuning is done on the Dyno by someone who know's how to tune the Apexi Unit. As long as you can pick up the Apexi VAFC off a friend selling it or find one online for cheap then i say go for it, I got my from my cousin for lending him my Clear ISP modem for a month as to which i was barely on my online promotional plan still so it only cost me 21.50 and a month with no Internet... haha best deal i ever made.

I myself am currently running the Apexi VAFC 2 on my D15Z6 Hybrid "aka" D15Z1 Mini-Me with a Z6 Head, Z1 Cam & Rocker's, Full Z6 intake mani + Sensors, Removed EGR & EGR control box and still use my factory wideband O2 with the Factory P07 "Lean Burn" Ecu.

Built it myself as a quick fix to bended valves on my Z1 head and just had the spare block and head laying around and wanted to also prove that it can be done run good still get me 36-42 MPG with A/C and a 94 SI 5spd cruising 65 @2800 rpm in 5th pulls fine not FAST all the way till 90 then power just falls off completely @ around 5000 rpm but will still spin till 5500-5800 rpm to hit the rev limiter. Only CEL i get so far is code 41 but i knew i would need a new O2 anyhow, might as well convert to a Z6 O2 and ECU chipped after i finish the Z1 head's rebuilding with a Z6 Cam Z1 exhaust roller rockers & Z6 intake rockers Port matched & polished Z6 Intake Mani. My D15Z6 Hybrid is just getting started. Lol sorry for the long post, i just still get all pumped up when i work on theses little 4cyl as its always fun to talk about car's and help out someone who has some general Q's about some setup's they have in mind themselves and just want to know if some of those setup's you read about online are always seemly unfinished or the OP would just not follow up on the build/advice i.e. D15Z6 Hybrid / d15Z1 Mini-Me will be a good point as to work out something better with what parts you have at the time but just applying the tune a bit different then the norm.

91CiVX

Last edited by Chris 91CiVX; 09-27-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha that's a good deal! thanks