Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wierd VAFC in "new" car

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd VAFC in "new" car

Just recently purchased a hatch with a b16a2. It has a vafc in it and was also told it had a "mugen" chipped ecu. My question is the highest i've revved the car according to the VAFC is 4800 but the tac was more like 7 or 8k. when it went this high it started to bog down like it hit the rev limiter or somethin. Car drives perfect in lower rpms, cruise at 75mph at 2500rpms on the vafc but more like 3500 on the tac. Also i never hear vtec turn on, VTi says its ON around 3200rpms on the VAFC but theres no sound that it turned on, car also has i/h/e so i figured i'ld hear it with a b16. the vtec engagement was set at 5800 but since i never get that high i lowered it to 3500 to see if i could hear it and feel it. havnt tried it since i changed it cause i'm at work. Anyone else hear of something like this? any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: wierd VAFC in "new" car (deadazleep)

If you lower VTEC you wont hear it. It will only cross over at the certain RPMs under certain conditions to hear it like you want. Sounds like your VAFC is set to 6cylinder or maybe 8cylinder setting. I dont remember all the settings persay but look through settings for cylinders and see if its on 4 cylinder like it should be. Best thing you could do though is take it to a dyno and have it tuned.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What does the B16 have that warrants the vafc?

If it doesn't have ****, I say rip it out, as it's garbage, and replace that "mugen" ecu with a stock one.

Your car sounds like it's in limp mode, where it virtually cuts your revs in half so you don't do damage to the engine. It goes into this mode when there's something very wrong with how it's running. Most likely the limp mode is caused by the computer, and the vafc isn't helping anything.

PS-reset your VTEC engagement to stock, you'll get little to negative help from setting the engagement point to 3500 RPM. It will work fine after it's fixed, don't destroy it in the meantime. Either tune, or rip that unnecessary electronic stuff out.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wierd VAFC in "new" car (BlackoutVTi)

like i said the car came with it, planning on having it tuned and getting rid of the vafc once thats done but that wont be for a few weeks, theres no CELs and it runs strong but no sound or feel of vtec kicking in and rpms seem really low. my last car had a n/a sohc with bolt ons and when vtec turned on u could hear it if u were listening very carefully. this is my first dohc so not use to it yet
Old 06-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wierd VAFC in "new" car (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you lower VTEC you wont hear it. It will only cross over at the certain RPMs under certain conditions to hear it like you want. Sounds like your VAFC is set to 6cylinder or maybe 8cylinder setting. I dont remember all the settings persay but look through settings for cylinders and see if its on 4 cylinder like it should be. Best thing you could do though is take it to a dyno and have it tuned. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats EXACTLY what it was, it was set for a 6 cylinder. Havnt switched the vtec crossover back to around 5500 yet but u guys think it should wake things up a bit?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadazleep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats EXACTLY what it was, it was set for a 6 cylinder. Havnt switched the vtec crossover back to around 5500 yet but u guys think it should wake things up a bit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wake what up? If theres anything in your engine bay its probably dead and never going to wake up again
Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it should wake it up alot, i know when my rpm settings on my afc in my old talon were off, the car ran like poo, as soon as i set it to 4 cylinder and readjusted my settings the car ran like a champ

Modified by matt j at 2:50 PM 6/11/2008
Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wake what up? If theres anything in your engine bay its probably dead and never going to wake up again </TD></TR></TABLE>

hey least u had a good idea and turned out to be correct, thanx alot captain sarcasm
Old 06-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your running a chpped ECU and a VAFC, then the VAFC will negate any tuning that the ECU tune has on it.. I had a VAFC and uberdata on my last car and i pulled the VAFC out because i had a tune on my ECU
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadazleep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hey least u had a good idea and turned out to be correct, thanx alot captain sarcasm </TD></TR></TABLE>

Real questions get real answers in my book

But get it tuned, dont butt dyno you could blow the motor (depending on the specs). That wasnt sarcastic either.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gona get it tuned on a dyno once i get the time and money, shouldnt be too much longer, i dont race it or drive it hard, so i hope it'll be ok, just took it around the block and seems less sluggish, rpms match the tachometers and vtec engaged. And riceburnerryan i plan on going with just a chipped ecu and getting rid of the vafc all together