Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wierd studder problem after resistor box install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd studder problem after resistor box install...

Hi, I'm getting a wierd problem with my car after giving it moderate to heavy throttle at anything under 2k rpm, after that its all good.

info:
I put a 1.5 in so I can drive the car while my engine is being finished, so I decided to test out the resistor box wiring on my 1.5 using the resistor box and a set of '91 'rex injectors, I kinda goofed on the wiring at first because I only had 1 injector running off the resistor box and the other 3 wires weren't injector wiring (yes, I know I should've double checked). After I fixed the injector wiring then I noticed this problem, it feels like a fuel cut more than anything, and my a/f gauge (I know its no wideband so it isn't as acurate) goes crazy from rich as hell to lean off the charts, the revs don't climb untill I get off the throttle almost completely then it creeps up past 2k and it runs fine. I have no mods to this engine or the fuel system except for the injectors and resistor box, could I have damaged the ecu because of running 3 injectors w/o the resistor box? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
-l8r

PS. I already searched and all I found were ppl who used dsm 450s or other injectors on a modded engine.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wierd studder problem after resistor box install... (Death Scythe)

I'd suggest you stick the original injectors back in to ensure that you didn't F up the ECU using low ohm units without the resistor box.

If that checks out fine, and you re-install the p/h units along with the resistor box, and this same 'problem' crops up, I'd attribute this to a) a somewhat shoddy install/wiring job on the injectors, b) the injectors are pretty dirty and need cleaning, or c) the characteristics between these p/h and saturated injectors are just different enough that it causes this 'problem'.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wierd studder problem after resistor box install... (EE_Chris)

I hope you didn't burn up the injector transistors in the ECU...
Old 07-12-2004, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wierd studder problem after resistor box install... (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd suggest you stick the original injectors back in to ensure that you didn't F up the ECU using low ohm units without the resistor box.

If that checks out fine, and you re-install the p/h units along with the resistor box, and this same 'problem' crops up, I'd attribute this to a) a somewhat shoddy install/wiring job on the injectors, b) the injectors are pretty dirty and need cleaning, or c) the characteristics between these p/h and saturated injectors are just different enough that it causes this 'problem'.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll try and dig up another 1.5 ecu to test it out, as far as wiring I re-pinned the actual injector wires from the deadplug connector near the driver-side firewall corner (the one with all the yellow/blk wires going into it incl injector wires) to the resistor box connector and ran one power wire from that dead-connector to the resistor box connector so I soldered one wire, I guess the injectors can be pretty dirty, they were from a '91 rex si, also I thought the 'rex injectors were 240cc thats why I decided to use them for the "test". thanks.
-l8r

PS. Also forgot to mention that the car idles ridiculously low like 500 +/- 50rpm,
not sure if the IACV is bad but its not throwing a code.

Modified by Death Scythe at 4:38 PM 7/12/2004
Old 07-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wierd studder problem after resistor box install... (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope you didn't burn up the injector transistors in the ECU...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually thought so, but I just tried another 1.5l ecu out of another dx and it runs the same. I'll just check over some other things I might've over looked.