Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wierd Starting problems/idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Starting problems/idle issues

Hey guys, it's me again, feels like I'm sucking the knowledge out of you guys....lol

So my bro has a 2000 honda civic SI, his clutch goes out, and he replaces it with a stage 2 grippower racing clutch, and then the problems start...

First when he tries to turn on the car from a cold start, it takes him about 2 key turns to get the engine started, it then starts, but it chokes and he has to give it some gas and keep it on for at least one or two minutes till the engine gets warm, it then is able to keep idle on it's own, and there is another problem there, the idle is too high...before with the old clutch (stock btw) it would idle around 800 rpm's, it now idles around 1400 rpms.

He has tried the following solutions:

-Changing the coolant temp sensor, no cigar.
-Adjusted the Distributor Cap, no cigar.
-Adjusted the Throttle Body, no cigar.
-Tested the IAT Sensor with an OHMmeter and it tested 1.8ohms cold, .8 hot, so we both assumed it was good, knowing that a difference less than 500 ohms = bad sensor.
-We've also tried to reset the ECU (which probabaly wont' change anything) by unplugging the battery for a few minutes

One more thing, the VTEC doesn't kick in at all, and we're assuming that it's because of the CEL light coming on, or is that a bad assumption? Any input is appreciated, thanks guys.

Mitch
Old 04-11-2009, 01:34 PM
New User

Default Re: Wierd Starting problems/idle issues

Shameless bump....Need help!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hats the cel reading?
Old 04-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mitcho85
Hey guys, it's me again, feels like I'm sucking the knowledge out of you guys....lol

So my bro has a 2000 honda civic SI, his clutch goes out, and he replaces it with a stage 2 grippower racing clutch, and then the problems start...

First when he tries to turn on the car from a cold start, it takes him about 2 key turns to get the engine started, it then starts, but it chokes and he has to give it some gas and keep it on for at least one or two minutes till the engine gets warm, it then is able to keep idle on it's own, and there is another problem there, the idle is too high...before with the old clutch (stock btw) it would idle around 800 rpm's, it now idles around 1400 rpms.

He has tried the following solutions:

-Changing the coolant temp sensor, no cigar.
-Adjusted the Distributor Cap, no cigar.
-Adjusted the Throttle Body, no cigar.
-Tested the IAT Sensor with an OHMmeter and it tested 1.8ohms cold, .8 hot, so we both assumed it was good, knowing that a difference less than 500 ohms = bad sensor.
-We've also tried to reset the ECU (which probabaly wont' change anything) by unplugging the battery for a few minutes

One more thing, the VTEC doesn't kick in at all, and we're assuming that it's because of the CEL light coming on, or is that a bad assumption? Any input is appreciated, thanks guys.

Mitch

what code??????????
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
New User

Code 110, which if i'm not mistaken the IAT Sensor, which is why we Ohmed it to check if it was working, and it was

We just came back from a car shop and tested a brand new out of the box IAT sensor and it tested the same as the one currently in the car.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

110?

10 is IAT.. which has the most power over the air/fuel ratio of any sensor.

its plugged in right? lol

OH GOD... I KNOW WHAT IT IS

when you went back and plugged in the harness you got the IACV and IAT plugs switched.

lol... go try it out. makes perfect sense. no IACV code because the iat sensor is a resistor just like the innards of the iacv motor. IAT code comes up because the resistance of the iacv motor never changes with coolant temp change.... thus check engine light. and the steady 5v current on the IAT circuit keeps the IACV open... thus THE ****ED UP IDLE!!

dude lets have a beer
Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 AM
New User

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
110?

10 is IAT.. which has the most power over the air/fuel ratio of any sensor.

its plugged in right? lol

OH GOD... I KNOW WHAT IT IS

when you went back and plugged in the harness you got the IACV and IAT plugs switched.

lol... go try it out. makes perfect sense. no IACV code because the iat sensor is a resistor just like the innards of the iacv motor. IAT code comes up because the resistance of the iacv motor never changes with coolant temp change.... thus check engine light. and the steady 5v current on the IAT circuit keeps the IACV open... thus THE ****ED UP IDLE!!

dude lets have a beer
Just read this...i'll give it a shot when i get home, headed to work now

if it works i will love you forever.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 PM
New User

Monkey...thanks alot man!

Although the sensors you mentioned weren't the ones that were connected bad, it was the solution i was looking for, you saved me alot of headache...thanks man *bows*

Turns out the Vtec pressure switch sensor and the coolant temperature were connected to each others sockets, checked my haynes manual and bam! wrong sockets! Switched em to the right spots and my car got fixed immidiately, no CEL or bad idling....phew!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!