Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wierd Noise.. need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Noise.. need some advice

Ok so ever since I bought my car whenever I make 90 degree turns (i.e.) turning out onto a street or pull a u turn using a street inlet or something it makes this wierd noise that could be closely described as one of those spinning peg boards that has a flapper on it. It sounded like the tires touching the wheel well but i stuck my hand back there (when it wasn't moving obviously) and there's about an inch or 2 of clearance when the wheel is turned all the way to one side or the other. My brother said it could be the CV joints... is this a possibility? And one other problem I seem to have is that my front bumper seems to hang a little low... like a half inch from where the hood is... is this a common problem and is there anyway to fix it? (ive tried adjusting the hood so that it properly aligns with the bumper but it won't, it almost seems as though the entire front clip is low or something. thanks.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Wierd Noise.. need some advice (dRuNkEnMoNkEy97)

first, the wheel noise, if it clicks when you turn CV joint going bad. park it, turn the wheel all the way out, reach around behind it to were the axle runs into the hub. feel the rubber boot for grease and cracks in the valleys of the pleats. either or both of these will confirm that your CV axle is bad. if one's bad, check the other side for cracks with a flashlight if it isn't busted open too. this is because you can usually get a better deal replacing both axles at the same time. $250-$300 for both including labor is what you're looking at. as for the bumper, it sounds like it's been hit in the front and the lower part of the bumper is pushed back. this will cause the top edge to pivot down and away from the hood. you'd be better off setting your hood adjustment to match your fenders and try to get the bumper back where it should be.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Ape
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wierd Noise.. need some advice (dRuNkEnMoNkEy97)

Sorry to hijack, but Im having some what of the same problem. When I turn left or right from a stop, I get a clunking/creaking sound. From the right side of the car, also happens when Im breaking just about to a complet stop I get the sound. Now i have looked a few times and cant track it down. CVs are not leaking or cracked, the bushing are there.( mabye not the best condition) For the past few months its been driving me crazy.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:12 PM

yeah it was the CV joints... checked it out and consequently a tire blew out on me the other day so i asked the shop replacing my tires if they'd check it out.. they're gonna charge 500 so I think I'm just gonna do it myself (my dad's an ex-mechanic) where can I get left and right cv joints?