Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wierd electrical problem, Radio turns off when headlights turn on? *going nutts

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Wierd electrical problem, Radio turns off when headlights turn on? *going nutts

wussup guys, i've been trying to figure out why my car radio turns off when i turn on my headlights. It all started back when i installed the radio, one of the wire came loose and i guess it touched the ground line so i blew 2 fuse out. So i replaced it, everything works fine now, but after that, everytime i turn on the lights, radio shuts off, there is no radio clock power to it. The radio memory is wiped out everytime i turn on the lights. I checked all the fuse, all seems to be good. Its driving me nuts having to drive around at night with no music. If you can guys can shoot me some tips, greatly appreciated, 2000 Civic Si
Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Information Leafblower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wierd electrical problem, Radio turns off when headlights turn on? *going nutts

I had a similar problem when I installed my first radio 7 years ago. It turns out when I made my wiring harness for the radio, there was an orange wire that I didn't tape off (it wasn't used), and the metal in the wire was touching a metal piece behind the dash, shorting out my fuse every time. I taped the wire, and everything was fine after that.

Might want to check and see if you've got a similar issue.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Wierd electrical problem, Radio turns off when headlights turn on? *going nutts

ohkay. thanx alot blue bomber! i will check asap tomoro. I hope thats the case, i remember checking last time for any wires but didn't find any besides the one i taped up. Thanx again
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 PM

Open for any other tips!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM

bump
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's pretty much it (unless you're talking about an old MG!).
Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 PM

ohkay. i checked it today. all the wires seem to be sealed up. One of my friends told me it might be a fuse, he said it might be a weak fuse thats why it cuts off everytime. I will look into it. but i am still open for more suggestions. thanx guys!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:42 PM

bump
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you have your ground is hooked up to the illumination wire. did you use a wire harness or is it straight wired to the factory wires. the factory illumination wire is red with a black strip. it acts as a ground with your lights off but when they are on it has 12 volts. usually the cause of the described problem.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Si Boosted i think you hit it on target. When i got my radio i got sorta excited and said screw the harness so i just cut up the wires and wired it myself. I think thats exactly what i did because i remember a red wire with black. Im going to check that ASAP tomoro. Thans alot man, i think that will solve the problem. Much appreciated.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:24 PM

HEY Si Boosted, YOu nailed it on target. My ground was hooked to the red wire with black stripe. I changed the ground wire and everything is back to normal. woot! thanx alot man.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djeclipzjv
HEY Si Boosted, YOu nailed it on target. My ground was hooked to the red wire with black stripe. I changed the ground wire and everything is back to normal. woot! thanx alot man.
I'm really not sure how old this post was but I'm running into the exact same problem I hooked up my wideband O2 sensor and gauge, without disturbing the wiring harness radio which has been connected through over two years and never had a problem, now all the sudden when I turn my lights on the radio turns off now all the sudden when I turn my lights on the radio turns off... Any idea
Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 year old thread

First off, never bump an ancient thread without a damn good, directly related reason. Your reason is neither good, nor directly related. Second off, you obviously wired something wrong.