Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why wont this transmission come apart?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why wont this transmission come apart?

ok heres the deal this tranny is shot probably bearings or something. when it was on the car it was extremely loud and made weird noises i cant explain. it just got swaped for a y8 tranny so now i wanted to crack it apart to see whats up. when i drained the oil it looked like **** there was tons of metal shavings. i took the bolts off to seperat the tranny and more shavings came out even small chunks of metal but i cant get it apart this is as far as it will go

am i missing something? or are the bearings so shot its not gonna come apart? thanks for the help.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: why wont this transmission come apart? (e jay one)

There is a snap ring you have to remove.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: why wont this transmission come apart? (spoonek9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoonek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a snap ring you have to remove.</TD></TR></TABLE>
where?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why wont this transmission come apart? (e jay one)

Remove #13........I think!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and those metal shavings are probably pieces of your oil gutter plate
Old 04-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, undo bolt/plug #13 in that diagram w/ your ratchet and you'll see a snap ring inside.
Hold the ring open, slide it backwards a bit, and then pull the casings apart. ...Helps if you have a helper here (I dont, but it'd be nice)
Old 04-06-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: (fasthatchb18c1)

ill try that
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fasthatchb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and those metal shavings are probably pieces of your oil gutter plate</TD></TR></TABLE>
nah im pretty sure its a bearing ill snap some pics when i get it apart.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, undo bolt/plug #13 in that diagram w/ your ratchet and you'll see a snap ring inside.
Hold the ring open, slide it backwards a bit, and then pull the casings apart. ...Helps if you have a helper here (I dont, but it'd be nice)</TD></TR></TABLE>
ok whats the trick? you have three arms or something? i dont think this can be done with one person. the snap ring has to be held open while the trans is slid apart right?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok whats the trick? you have three arms or something? i dont think this can be done with one person. the snap ring has to be held open while the trans is slid apart right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only need one person. When you get the snap ring apart it whole shaft will drop and then you can pop the case open.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup....this is the easy part. wait titll you hafta put it back together.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: (ProJectCvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProJectCvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Only need one person. When you get the snap ring apart it whole shaft will drop and then you can pop the case open.</TD></TR></TABLE>
so put the side that mounts to the motor down and it sould slide down? ill give it a try thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so put the side that mounts to the motor down and it sould slide down? ill give it a try thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup...I did a couple tranny. It just slides down.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so put the side that mounts to the motor down and it sould slide down? ill give it a try thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got it .
Old 04-06-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: (Bond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProJectCvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yup...I did a couple tranny. It just slides down.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ok what am i missing? im using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the stupid clip open as far as it goes and nothing is sliding down. should it need to be pushed down? is that whole thing that the clip is on gonna slide down?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:10 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

use your big boy muscles.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The case will slide down if you have the ring on the bottom, facing the floor, and the clutch housing on top.
If youre doing it w/ the clutch housing down (on the floor/table) nothing will happen when you release the ring.

You can also try some leverage on the housings with a screwdriver or something if the clutch housing is on the bottom. Just open the ring and pop the opposing housing upwards. It'll come, just use your head.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The case will slide down if you have the ring on the bottom, facing the floor, and the clutch housing on top.
If youre doing it w/ the clutch housing down (on the floor/table) nothing will happen when you release the ring.

You can also try some leverage on the housings with a screwdriver or something if the clutch housing is on the bottom. Just open the ring and pop the opposing housing upwards. It'll come, just use your head.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thank you everyone else was telling me to do it the oposite way thats why nothing was happening.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use your big boy muscles.</TD></TR></TABLE>
but i dont wanna
Old 04-06-2005, 11:41 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thank you everyone else was telling me to do it the oposite way thats why nothing was happening.

but i dont wanna</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i think that was what your problem was, and i agree if u want to have the clutch housing on the floor, use a nice flat tip and pry up the cashing. and once again use your big boy muscles and get after it.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: (POE)

got it apart ill snap some pics right now
Old 04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use your big boy muscles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That really made me laugh.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got it apart ill snap some pics right now </TD></TR></TABLE>

Post it up, I'd like to see.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

ok as you can probably tell this is the first time ive ever taken apart a honda transmission so i dont really know what im looking for but this doesnt look good. corect me if im wrong but should there be more bearings in here?

looks like 3 or 4 of them are missing. at the bottom right corner of the tranny is a butt load of metal shavings.

another shot everything look ok? the gears seem to be fine im gonna tear into it more later on.

any thing special i should look out for? i was planning on junking the tranny its out of an lx so theres not really a demand for it but do you think it would be worth it to rebuild it with ex/si gears?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

if u could get ahold of the gears for hella cheap it would be worth it
Old 04-06-2005, 12:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u could get ahold of the gears for hella cheap it would be worth it</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea thats what im saying how much should i expect to pay ill probably just junk it though. and does anyone know how the hell those bearings got out?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man that looks familiar...oh wait, because I just did mine

Which bearing are we talking about?
The one on the mainshaft, on the clutch housing, you can just pop off by going from the other side w/ a socket and extension.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:28 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

i think he is worrying about the main shaft.

Quick Reply: why wont this transmission come apart?