Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why won't my transmission come off?

Old 04-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why won't my transmission come off?

I have my stock 97 D16Y7 out of the car and I've taken off every bolt that the helms says to remove, the stiffener, everything. The tranny is loose but won't come off. is there some kind of lock ring on the main shaft like the axles? or am I missing something
Old 04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why won't my transmission come off? (ccjustin)

theres this plate that blocks the flywheel make sure you take that off also, i had that problem a few days ago, both axles out pass and rear mounts and you should be good.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take off the starter. either the top or bottom bolt goes to the tranny
Old 04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all that's off too, just pull harder I guess?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

starters off
Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ccjustin)

it should just slide out. make sure u pulled the rear tranny mount bolts out. just visually look for any bolts that look like they hold on the tranny to the block. i never used a manual, just took off all the bolts i could see.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Default Re: (aallbbeerrtttttt)

after a couple of years teh tranmssion actually siezes onto the engine block, especially on the dowel pins. Dowel pins are pins that are on the engine block which corespond to the proper holes on the tranny to properly line-up the two so your bolt holes are straight.

With the transmission properly supported so it won't just drop out. Carefully, yet usig your power try to rock the transmission off, and even try tapping carefully with a hammer. DO NOT WACK IT TOO HARD, the transmission can crack.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rayz_Si)

rubber mallet and a pry bar ..
Old 04-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rayz_Si)

*** it, just pop tha axles back in and take the car for a drive. im sure it will pop out now j/k

is there a gap in between the engine and tranny? can you get a prybar in there if so GENTLY pry evenly around the whole bell housing. is it doesnt move. chances are there is still another bolt or sumthin hang it up.

when i pull my tranny i pull all the bolts holding the tranny to the block. rear 19mm bolts for the engine mount. then after all those are removed i take the 2 bolts and 1 nut holding the tranny to the upper tranny mount. usually its enough of a jolt to free any hang-ups

goodluck
Old 04-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: (B18B-SC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18B-SC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it should just slide out. make sure u pulled the rear tranny mount bolts out. just visually look for any bolts that look like they hold on the tranny to the block. i never used a manual, just took off all the bolts i could see. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear that all the time. A buddy of mine did a transmission with me and found that not to be true. I've never had one just slide off.

If you place a screwdriver or anything with a sharp edge to it, make sure you go straight down otherwise you're going to end up engraving into the metal of either the transmission or block. And yes, insure all three bolts are removed from the black clutch cover.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (INVALID)

i've never seen a tranny stuck without having a bolt still here or there

i just pulled the tranny off my '81 RX-7 that sat for 8 years. slipped right off once all the bolts where out
Old 04-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah just get all the bolts off and keep jiggling. I had the same problem and was like WTF? but it will come off.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why won't my transmission come off? (junior40er)

shake the **** out of the bastard
Old 04-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why won't my transmission come off? (junior40er)

Find a place to pry against the transmission and also either get a dead blow hammer (plastic hammer filled with sand) or a rubber mallet and whack the bell housing while you are prying.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why won't my transmission come off? (ImportMotorSpec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImportMotorSpec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Find a place to pry against the transmission and also either get a dead blow hammer (plastic hammer filled with sand) or a rubber mallet and whack the bell housing while you are prying. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds kinda rough. i wouldn't pry too hard. just incase u did happen to leave a bolt it. a new tranny case is not cheap.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18B-SC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that sounds kinda rough. i wouldn't pry too hard. just incase u did happen to leave a bolt it. a new tranny case is not cheap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess i was assuming all teh bolts were out, kinda hard to miss one IMO.

I have taken i'd say probably 50 transmissions off this way and not cracked a case. There might be a little scratch or 2, but you have to do what you have to do to ge the tranny off.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at exactly 1:30 am est everyone viewing this thread concentrate on the image of his transmission sliding off....

we can do this.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he's probably missing a bolt... i think theres 5 bolts on the underside. you're probably missing one.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MiMiK)

I had to pry mine out a little.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImportMotorSpec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I guess i was assuming all teh bolts were out, kinda hard to miss one IMO.

I have taken i'd say probably 50 transmissions off this way and not cracked a case. There might be a little scratch or 2, but you have to do what you have to do to ge the tranny off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea thats true. you can use this method when you have the experience you have. i wouldnt advise it for someone whos not a pro at it. hell i remember my first time taking my tranny off. i missed atleast one bolt. im glad i never pryed on it too hard
Old 04-04-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Re: (99FBPSi)

hehe if there IS a half shaft... make sure you take that out too :-P
Old 04-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Fugun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fugun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hehe if there IS a half shaft... make sure you take that out too :-P
</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccjustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have my stock 97 D16Y7 out of the car and I've taken off every bolt that the helms says to remove, the stiffener, everything. The tranny is loose but won't come off. is there some kind of lock ring on the main shaft like the axles? or am I missing something</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fugun)

Not to jack the thread, but has anyone else had a first experience with a reverse throwout bearing???

They are fun if you dont know they are there. When we first got our shop rx-7 we were pulling the tranny and fought it for hours. ANd all that needs to be done is twist with a screw driver.

I have a customer that we have taken his tranny out of his wrx i'd say probably 7 times. It was his choice of a place to take it not mine. He wanted to go cheap, and it got him us pulling the tranny more time than i want to in a lifetime on a wrx. It had synchro problems, bearing problems, gearing problems, weird noise problems. Needless to say i now have a 12 inch flat blade bent in about 8 places to take the throwout bearing out. We have a wrx trans out in about 45 mins now though.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ImportMotorSpec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImportMotorSpec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to jack the thread, but has anyone else had a first experience with a reverse throwout bearing???

They are fun if you dont know they are there. When we first got our shop rx-7 we were pulling the tranny and fought it for hours. ANd all that needs to be done is twist with a screw driver.

I have a customer that we have taken his tranny out of his wrx i'd say probably 7 times. It was his choice of a place to take it not mine. He wanted to go cheap, and it got him us pulling the tranny more time than i want to in a lifetime on a wrx. It had synchro problems, bearing problems, gearing problems, weird noise problems. Needless to say i now have a 12 inch flat blade bent in about 8 places to take the throwout bearing out. We have a wrx trans out in about 45 mins now though.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have no clue what you are talking about. maybe if i had a suby i would
Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18B-SC)

Most throwout bearing push the pressure plate forks in, reverse bearings pull the forks out, so there is a ring that snaps teh 2 together so they cant come apart. All you have to do is hold the ring to teh PP and pull the bearing out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why won't my transmission come off?