Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why so many selling hybrids so soon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so many selling hybrids so soon?

I'm looking at getting a civic as a daily driver. I've been considering getting a swapped car just to have a little more fun of a daily driver. I'm just curious if alot of people have problems with hybrid vehicles being you see so many for sale with less than a years worth of miles on them. Would a hybrid be a poor choice for a daily driver being purchased for reliability?
Old 06-13-2003, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why so many selling hybrids so soon? (GTIginsterVR6)

Well from what I have seen it seems as though most people sell them for three reasons.
1) They dump a ton of money in the car then realize they can not pay for it so they need to sell it to get out of debt.
2) People get bored and want to start a new project.
3) So many of them get stolen that people want to get a car that when they come out from work or home it will still be there.
I do not see any reliability issues. Especially if you keep it n/a. I had a built ls turbo motor that I put about 1000 miles a week on and never had a problem except when I boosted to much racing and cracked a sleeve. If you just swap in a gsr or ls motor it would be the same as having it in that car. But when you start boosting you have to do some more preventive maintenance.

I actually just got a vw b/c my honda got stolen from work. Hope that helps a little.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like what underpressure02 said, people get bored and wanna start a new project
Old 06-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (skellator_thoj)

or people get offered another car, which they see a potiential in it. or people likk me are just still undecided, and are thinking twice on what they are doing
Old 06-13-2003, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Why so many selling hybrids so soon? (underpressure02)

[QUOTE=underpressure02]Well from what I have seen it seems as though most people sell them for three reasons.
1) They dump a ton of money in the car then realize they can not pay for it so it will still be there.

From what I've seen reason #1 seems to be the most prevalent. Most hybrids are owned by young kids who are students, work and dump almost all their money into their car. Then when major bills arise, they need to sell their cars..
Old 06-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why so many selling hybrids so soon? (00MRSi)

That's why I do everything cash.
93 SI/ITR hybrid: Cash
91 Integra/B16A Hybrid: Cash
93 Civic CX/GSR Hybrid: Cash

And @ the end of the summer I hopefully will be starting a 240SX/Sileighty/SR20Det project: Cash.

Its only fun going into debt for a car until you have to pay for it. The 1st couple months aren't bad it starts to hit you when the people that you try to keep up decide they want something faster and you realize that their financial situation and yours are completely different.

Either that or you realize its a civic. It will always be a civic no matter how much money you through @ it and quite frankly there comes a point when enough is too much.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why so many selling hybrids so soon? (underpressure02)

>>2) People get bored and want to start a new project.

very true. i am soo ready for a new project. plus, i am getting older and getting tired of being type-cast as "some kid with a civic"
Old 06-13-2003, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Why so many selling hybrids so soon? (dogpile5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dogpile5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">&gt;&gt;2) People get bored and want to start a new project.

very true. i am soo ready for a new project. plus, i am getting older and getting tired of being type-cast as "some kid with a civic"</TD></TR></TABLE>

definatley... i am now ashamed to say i have a civic even with all the work i have done to it to make it a better performer, all these ******* ricers and kids who drive like complete ******* ******** have literally ruined it for the rest of us.... no i dont have neons, no i dont have chrome rims and a big tip, no i dont have a body kit, altezzas, and decals, or subwoofers and a dvd player, so stfu, im going to start offing these ricers one by one.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Why so many selling hybrids so soon? (Apex i ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex i ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And @ the end of the summer I hopefully will be starting a 240SX/Sileighty/SR20Det project: Cash.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thinkin about that myself.. well it would definately be a long ways off befor ei had an sr20det.. plus i'm mostly into the look of a sileighty.. so it won't be a true sileighty at heart but hopefully soon. i'm keepin my eye out for a 240sx hatch so i could get this rolling... so to speak. and where you gonna get the silvia front from? ebay?? that's the only place i've really seen.. though if there is a wholesale site out there or something let me know.. i would ove to see it

sorry for the OT... i guess another reason for selling hybrids soon is because there is also a demand for them now so people can make money off of them by selling theirs to some kid who can't do it themself.. i do appreciate seeing less and less rice out there.. there's still civics but at least they're going more motor now.. i wish people would stay away from nitrous though.. can't we go all motor or something?
Old 06-13-2003, 11:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00MRSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=underpressure02]Well from what I have seen it seems as though most people sell them for three reasons.
1) They dump a ton of money in the car then realize they can not pay for it so it will still be there.
</TD></TR></TABLE> I agree. In cases like this however, it is necessary to make sure everything that the kid/guy/mom/dad did was done right. Most times things are done in haste. Haste leads to poor quality. Clean never gets gay. If you don't mind taking a raggin from friends for "buying somebody else's creation" then go for it. good luck bro, Mike D
Old 06-14-2003, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Why so many selling hybrids so soon? (98Hatch00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98Hatch00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I agree. In cases like this however, it is necessary to make sure everything that the kid/guy/mom/dad did was done right. Most times things are done in haste. Haste leads to poor quality. Clean never gets gay. If you don't mind taking a raggin from friends for "buying somebody else's creation" then go for it. good luck bro, Mike D</TD></TR></TABLE>

Id say its just what you like. I got my hatch through a trade of vehicles. I absolutley love my hatch. Cash is your best bet. Do everything as you go with money that exists. Dont say, well 0% right now, so itll be cool. Credit card is no joke. Hell, Im 21 and I dont even have a credit card. But, my credit is good and with no credit cards is the way it stays.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex i ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's why I do everything cash.
93 SI/ITR hybrid: Cash
91 Integra/B16A Hybrid: Cash
93 Civic CX/GSR Hybrid: Cash

Its only fun going into debt for a car until you have to pay for it. The 1st couple months aren't bad it starts to hit you when the people that you try to keep up decide they want something faster and you realize that their financial situation and yours are completely different.

Either that or you realize its a civic. It will always be a civic no matter how much money you through @ it and quite frankly there comes a point when enough is too much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am the same way. I only pay for mods,etc. cash. This way, I'm sure that I can afford it. My car only has a few bolt-ons, but each one was paid cash. It's nice to buy something, and have it paid off right away. Debt is evil..
Old 06-14-2003, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah actually I'm going to slow down the amount I spend on all my cars and start paying off some other stuff more agressively. Kinda tired of spending money on cars. I needs a break.

The only good thing I can say is I don't have any CC bills related to parts on my cars. Makes me feel a little bit better.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:09 PM

Sweet thanks alot guys, just sold my eclipse today so I will now be looking at getting a 92-94 si, gsr, or a swapped car for a daily driver.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Why so many selling hybrids so soon? (Book Readar)

did anyone mention smog? i've sold 3 cars already beacause i didn't want to deal with smog issues in the oncoming registration.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech User

gets boring real quick and you want to do something else.........

steve
Old 06-14-2003, 04:12 PM

supply and demand