Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:34 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!?

OK, so i've looked at most of the places that I can think of to look for a hatch.

here on h/t,
ebay,
autotrader,
craigslist

and theres.. NNNOOOOTHING!!! WAHHHH!!

I think my main problem is that i'm so picky,
it must be a color I want and a completely straight body(my current is a dinged up teal.. and even though I love it so, I just gotta have that clean hatch).
must be either:
charcoal grey
harvard blue
dark teal
captiva blue pearl(maybe on this one...)

but every hatch I see is either teal, red, white, or black,
or dinged to hell.

was looking at one custom painted gunmetal.. but found out its salvaged
only a theft salvage.. but it still sketches me out

So what do you guys think?
is my dream of having the perfect hatch ever going to come true? or am I screwed.
also being on a limited budget hurts bigtime.
lucky thing is that I do already have suspension, wheels, shortshifter and some nice clear corners(tasteful ones) to swap to the new hatch.. if I ever find one.

Maybe I should just keep my current hatch(108xxx miles) and take out a loan for bodywork/new paint? have a feeling it'd be a big loan though
Old 09-19-2003, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be patient. I found two Si hatches within a week. And I was searching for roughly a year. You'll come across them, patience is a virture. Be patient!
Old 09-19-2003, 03:18 AM

Default Re: (psychotic)

Fix up the one you have takes my vote. That's what I'm doing to mine, at least.
SAVE THE HATCHES!!!
Find the most queered up one you can and give it a thorough de-ricing. You'll love the car when you're done, plus you get the oppurtunity to add all those little personal touches, while you're at it.
just my .02
Old 09-19-2003, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (Tad)

I think youre trying to find someone who has an 11 year old car that has been garaged for its life. Almost all of the ones you see out there that look really sweet havent always been that way. Most likely something has been fixed or done to the car. Granted there are some out there under 1st owners that keep their car in immaculate condition... but then youll not likely find one of them letting it go.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:39 AM

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (monicle)

Cause everybody and their brother has one. That and all the teenagers are getting them, and totaling them.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:50 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (wilsel)

Don't be such a ****. You can change colors and have bodywork done. You can't be so picky with a ******* 11 year old car that is used as a mode of transportation rather than a weekend warrior. They all have their little kinks. Get used to it or get out.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:52 AM

i say if u plan on getting a loan to buy the same exact car why not just fix up the one you've got. at least u know where its been. maybe take out a few extra duckets and cop that swap. (i like the way that sounds)
Old 09-19-2003, 05:05 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">captiva blue pearl(maybe on this one...)</TD></TR></TABLE>

That right there is your problem. It should be DEFINITELY Captiva Blue Pearl. I bet you would have found one already. My recommendations would be to post on local message boards and see if anyone knows of one for sale locally and always check your local papaer and free classifieds. I found mine cause somebody noticed one for sale in Orlando and let me know, so I drove 2 hours to check it out and fell in love.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (King Tut33)

You are having problems for a few reasons, and I feel your pain because I went through the same headaches when I was looking for my car. The cars are 8-11 years old, so it is going to be hard to find ANY color in immaculate condition. Most will have some sort of small dents and dings. Also the colors you are looking for are the most rare and sought after colors, so those cars are probably selling very quickly. When I was searching for a 92-95 hatch, I found a few that were very nice but sold in a matter of hours, literally. Also, you may want to broaden the area in which you search. You may have to travel to get the car you want. I actually gave up on trying to find a nice EG, and I ended up finding a sweet 96 DX hatch. It has no rust, very few dings, and low mileage. Found it on ebay and had to drive 500 miles round trip to get it, but it was worth it. Here is a pic. I have since removed the ghetto window tint and am saving for suspension. Just hang in there and you will find the perfect car eventually. I know I did.

Old 09-19-2003, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (96hb)

Pleaase Pleaase Pleaasee people dont let any hb go to waste i seen many and i love hb but some ppl just Fock them up....
Old 09-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (OoHiTzToMMy)

my car got the usual rust on the rear fenders where the wheel well is and dents all over it aint perfect but its a hatch and i love it also its cool to have rust holes and such people will think its a pos but when u smoke them its just too funny
Old 09-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (OoHiTzToMMy)

br patient, and lower your standards a little bit
Old 09-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (blackhatchy)

or you could get a 4 door...

DX Hatchback 2178
DX Sedan 2275

And you can fit 5 people in comfortably or more cargo...

If I didn't have a 4 door already...i'd be looking for one because they are so nice and so practical
Old 09-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or you could get a 4 door...

DX Hatchback 2178
DX Sedan 2275

And you can fit 5 people in comfortably or more cargo...

If I didn't have a 4 door already...i'd be looking for one because they are so nice and so practical </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, they are nice, but some people just gotta have the hatch. I was the same way. I had been wanting a hatch for so long, that nothing else would do. The key to finding a nice hatch is patience and a willingness to do what it takes to get one.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (96hb)

i'd say quit looking so hard for what you really want. I was looking forever for an eg hatch. My friends had no problem finding nice hatch's and swaping them or finding ones that have already been swapped. I was driving home from work one day and saw my baby sitting on the corner. i stopped and thought that it had to be Auto, and it wasn't only 14,000 miles, and 6grand later and she was in my driveway.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:32 AM

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (hayabusa160)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car got the usual rust on the rear fenders where the wheel well is</TD></TR></TABLE> if you want to stop this from happening, take the weather stripping out from the fender well.. water sits in there and makes it rust. if its not there the water cannot sit there.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure how commited you are but up here in bc canada we have so many hatches for sale. just an idea would be to bring one down to you. atleast here you know its gonna be in decent shape from things like rust and other fun weather hazards you may face some other places
Old 09-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a hatch in the condition you're searching for will cost you what, $2000-$3000? maybe more b/c you're in ca.

throw $1500 at your current car and i think that would get you a pretty darned good paint job w/ bodywork. how are you gonna afford another car if you can't afford to fix the one you have?
Old 09-19-2003, 12:14 PM

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (ruthless013)

recycler.com

that's where i found all mine
Old 09-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jameskersten1)

No such thing as a perfect hatch. Usually you have to invest a little time and energy to get it to that point.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Apex i ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex i ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No such thing as a perfect hatch. Usually you have to invest a little time and energy to get it to that point.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. You are searching for a car that was designed as a commuter car, and to be driven.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOU COLOR CHOICES.
that is your reason you cant find anything.
that is your ONE reason.

buy a cheapie and repaint it.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:50 PM

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (owen_the_soyboy)

ugly faded and chipped paint - the sleeper look

you should concentrate on finding a super clean car. I always think I've found a clean car til I start to take apart the interior and see weld marks on the frame.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!? (all stock)

Concentrate on finding a hatch that has a straight frame and no real damage to the body (minor dings and dents don't count). Also make sure there is no rust.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel your pain buddy. it took me 6 months to find my hatch.. all i gotta' say it patience is the key!! most of the hatches out there are banged up and dinged up because it's a 11 year old car that everyone and their mom owns. when i was looking for a hatch, i was very picky also. it had to be black/red, si model, decent mileage, stock or close to stock, clean title, and no dents and dings. one day my cousin drives a hatch to my house and tells me "hey kid, my buddy is moving out of state and really needs to sell this hatch" i took one look at it, and i knew i had to have it! it was a 95 red si hatchback w/ very clean original paintjob, carbon fiber hood, spoon carbon fiber "duckbill wing", gsr front/rear seats, jl subs and amps. the only thing it didn't have were rims. i was happy to hear all it had under the hood was a d16z6 and an aem cai. it had roughly 100k miles on the motor which wasn't too bad, it's decent. i got it for $4000, and it was damn well worht it. my suggestion to you would be find a friend or someone you know who wants to sell their hatch. get it before they post it on the net, and it'll be gone within hours, even days!! good luck on ur search. peace!

Quick Reply: why is it so damn hard to find the perfect hatch!!?