Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why dont Discovery channel have a HONDA build off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why dont Discovery channel have a HONDA build off?

I was watching the Discovery Channel for acouple of days and they were doing a Great Bikes Build Off.... with the best builder competing with one another. And I was wondering why dont they do something like that with SportCompact / Import builders. WHy dont they do some Honda B or H series motor build up with the best builder around the U.S. . I would love to see something like that on TV.

It be nice to have some Honda engine building off and later drag it on the strip for braggin rights. Dont you want to see that?

anyways Lately i've notice most tv coverage of import or Sportcompact racing like NHRA on ESPn or NOpi TV or whatever is really bad. I mean most of the coverage is not even about the race cars at the event. I usually see some interview of show cars or products and at the end of the show you get to see like 2 or 3 runs of the semi finals or final and that it.

Come on when I watch IHRA or NHRA with the funny cars or pro stocks they- ESPN- cover the whole or most of the races for the whole 1hour tv show or 30mins.

I just think it would be better if sportcompact get better coverage on the racers and their race car no matter if it the top dog racers to the budget average team.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they did
it sucked
I hope they dont do it again

and wrong forum
Old 07-03-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Re: why dont Discovery channel have a HONDA build off? (UTURN)

i think a honda build off would be fun to watch, give em a call
Old 07-03-2004, 11:41 AM

Because there is nothing unique about a built Honda. Sad but true. If 2 Honda's were to be built to compete against each other we already know what would be done to them. The only surprise left is what stickers they would each get.

Hot rods, choppers, etc. etc. are all truly unique.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

What do you mean building a honda is not unique. If its not unique then its a waste of time for all those show cars and race cars out there entering their car at the events.

I know theres still alot of new stuff and infos out there to show us honda enthusiams about honda motors, honda spec, honda tuning, etc. Just like those muscle car guys. There's still coverage on Mustang, Vetts and etc even if its a same coverage on motors, cams, superchargers, turbo, ecu chip or exhaust systems.

I still said theres still alot to learn from honda engines. And it be nice to see top Honda builders in actions.

Anyways as i remember the last show on Discovery was Honda vs DSm and it was ok. It would be nice if they cover every details on the honda and dsm build up like how the do to OCC chopper and Monster Garage. KNow what i mean. like focusing on the mechanic assembling a Honda motor together, turbocharge, welding a cage etc.

well again it be nice to see all top honda builders compete and maybe even share their knowledge to those who think 4 banger are weak.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason they follow bikes is because they are built basically from scratch and can be finished in a short amount of time. after watching american chopper, tell me you don't have a better idea of how much hard work goes into building a bike. where as a honda it's going to be all motor and suspension work, which we are all capable of doing and doesn't make you stand out form the crowd as much as a cutom one off chopper.

building a honda is not unique, it is a proven trail now.. show cars are the only ones that can be unique, but that usually comes out as ugly. only thin unique about hondas these days is the different setups used to make the car perform, not the car itself.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jcarothers)

They did have a "honda" build off. it was a honda civic and a eagle talon and they had 2 teams and they both put turbo kits on, and they raced at the end, and it was kinda gay cuz the drivers were horrible
Old 07-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (RIPracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RIPracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They did have a "honda" build off. it was a honda civic and a eagle talon and they had 2 teams and they both put turbo kits on, and they raced at the end, and it was kinda gay cuz the drivers were horrible</TD></TR></TABLE>
the honda got a turbo kit put on and a swap too I belive.. the talon was 'built' by a honda guy though, so money wasn't exactly well spent.. a bonestock awd Talon would have taken out that civic in the 1/8 mile too.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: (UTURN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UTURN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do you mean building a honda is not unique. If its not unique then its a waste of time for all those show cars and race cars out there entering their car at the events.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't call it a waste of time because if they enjoy it then so be it. But my point is you can go to 5 import shows in 5 different cities in a weeks time and see the same things over and over again. I'm not hatin on Honda's especially since I have one, but the sad fact of the matter is the Import world (especially Honda's) depends on bolt ons and when there is something unique done, it is soon copied by everyone within a couple months.

If an import has a custom paint job, odds are it was done as cheap as possible and the standards for an importer are way below any other customizer. There are a few quality jobs done but not many.

And you know that if there was a Honda build off it would consist of most likely an eg or ek hatch or maybe coupes, they would get GSR swaps, and most likely turbo application. Given it would be a hit and everyone would watch it, it would still be predictable.