Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why doesnt honda make a large displacement engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why doesnt honda make a large displacement engine?

I have seen all these hondas on this forum and elswhere that all take about how good of engine technology that honda has. this is partly true, although not to the extent that most of them think, but thats my opinion. If the technology is so good then why dont they apply it to a larger displacement engine and make something thats actually powerful enough to keep up with most of todays sporty cars stock? im not talking about like 5 litres or anything stupid like most american companies, im just thinking like 3 litres or 3.5 litres in a small package like the civic or the integra or whatever. Or maybe a turbo version of one of their current engines. it just seems like they could do a lot more than they are doing now and im sick of people saying how advanced honda technology is because it doesnt matter when hondas 1.6 litre that makes 160 HP gets smoked by a 2.5 litre turbo with 250 HP. even if the 2.5 litre has the worst design ever, it still beat the stupid small displacement engine that has the superior technology. thats why honda should put out a few or even one engine with big hp in a mid size package so they can gain some real respect with other companies and other people than just the honda community.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: why doesnt honda make a large displacement engine? (quadfourdohc)

Because Honda/Acura builds economy cars. They are cheap(ish) to build and there for have a reasonable MSRP. If they started throwing 3.0-3.5 liter engines into a civic, imagine what kind of gas milage they would be getting... I can tell you right now it wouldn't be 30+mpg. The cost of building the car would go through the roof. It doesn't make any sense what so ever to throw an engine that big into a 3000 lb car. And acura already makes a 2.4 liter engine for the RSX (ie. integra)
Old 03-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda currently holds the record for the most n/a hp per liter (in a production vehicle) with the s2000. I think the main argument is that honda engineers its motors with fuel economy and longevity as the primary focus. Look, I grew up learning to wrench on american small blocks and have a lot of love for big displacement, but when I got my first crx at 17 I never looked back. I have absolutely beat the **** out of hondas and they have just kept asking for more. Honda doesn't need a large displacement engine because that is not their demographic. There is a replacement for displacement...technology. And honda is at the top of the heap when it comes to technology. And if I'm not mistaken, the quad four is one of the most impractical and failure prone engines that gm ever made.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quadfourdohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im just thinking like 3 litres or 3.5 litres in a small package like the civic or the integra or whatever. Or maybe a turbo version of one of their current engines. it just seems like they could do a lot more than they are doing now and im sick of people saying how advanced honda technology is because it doesnt matter when hondas 1.6 litre that makes 160 HP gets smoked by a 2.5 litre turbo with 250 HP. even if the 2.5 litre has the worst design ever, it still beat the stupid small displacement engine that has the superior technology. </TD></TR></TABLE>

like said before, its just not Honda's thing. They dont need to make a turbo engine, they dont need more displacement, they are doing just fine with what they have. People dont buy a Honda for speed, they buy them cause they are great cars, take a beating, go for hundreds of thousands of miles without major problems, get great gas mileage, and are overall nice cars.

Hell, even with under 2 liters, Hondas are fun little cars to drive. The Fit is a good example, stock with 109hp. What a joke, right? WRONG. They are fun as crap to drive, they have crisp handling, and are nice cars, with great gas mileage. Sure, they are not fast, but they are pretty fun to drive anyway.

Honda is doing just fine without going the easy route and just upping displacement to sell cars. They dont have to.

BTW, this should be in GDD
Old 03-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: why doesnt honda make a large displacement engine? (sol2hatch)

you get more props running 10sec in a 4 cylinder
Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's quite obvious you're another anti-Honda troll. I'm sure you'll be dealt with through the proper channels.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's quite obvious you're another anti-Honda troll. I'm sure you'll be dealt with through the proper channels.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy Bananas, Ape Man, how did you know? JP

at least he is not being a nusiance, just stating his opinion. You know what they say about those things...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you get more props running 10sec in a 4 cylinder </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, sleepers are always more rewarding.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:01 AM

ok he says that honda are getting smoke by stock turbo cars... well my civic hatch with a b16a2 with i.h.e pulls hard on wrx's not sti but still ........ and when you say y doesnt honda make turbo well vtec is basically a turbo and if you turbo a vtec motor the turbo takes away from vtec... correct me if im wrong
Old 03-10-2007, 12:02 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (99sibluehatchwitb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99sibluehatchwitb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok he says that honda are getting smoke by stock turbo cars... well my civic hatch with a b16a2 with i.h.e pulls hard on wrx's not sti but still ........ and when you say y doesnt honda make turbo well vtec is basically a turbo and if you turbo a vtec motor the turbo takes away from vtec... correct me if im wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

Never ever ever post again.

You apparently have no idea what variable valve timing or turbochargers are. They are <u>completely</u> different. They're so different, I shouldn't even have to waste my time explaining how they are different.

Oh, and as for variable valve timing .... Honda didn't invent it. Fiat was the first automotive company to patent a variable valve timing with variable lift, back in the late 60's. After this, Nissan patented NVCS 1986. Three years later, Honda patented VTEC.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol 4:10 am and word to that...vtec is NO-where near being like turbo..vtec is sweetness, boost is incredible, but both together is just heaven..night
Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 AM

ok your a ******* retard i said vtec is basically a turbo meaning it act like a turbo giving the car a lilttle boost.... i didnt say it is turbo you expletive nut
Old 03-10-2007, 01:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Old 03-10-2007, 03:15 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (JDM_Frijoles)

troll..
Old 03-10-2007, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99sibluehatchwitb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok your a ******* retard i said vtec is basically a turbo meaning it act like a turbo giving the car a lilttle boost.... i didnt say it is turbo you expletive nut</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are so wrong, VTEC does not involve boost at all, and i does not act like a turbo in any way.

Honda does have a 3.5L in the Ridgeline, Odyssey, and Pilot. And you can get a 3.0L in the Accord. Those are pretty decent displacement engines.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:51 AM
honda genome

First of all, Honda is known for saving gas, hence their civic lineup. 2nd of all, would it be economical to mass produce soemthing of that nature as you described? 3rd, are you still in highschool or junior high?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99sibluehatchwithb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok your a ******* retard i said vtec is basically a turbo meaning it act like a turbo giving the car a lilttle boost.... i didnt say it is turbo you expletive nut</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you ever DRIVEN a turbocharged car?

Sure, VTEC does give you that little "ummph" in the upper RPM range, but it's nowhere NEAR the same as forced induction.

Example of driving a VTEC car: a little bump in torque and then "Oh, VTEC just engaged...did you feel that?"

Example of driving a turbocharged car: Quiet hiss that is followed by air being sucked in and you're SLAMMED into your seat...followed by "Ohhhh **** son!"

(Just for the record, I'm comparing my B18C1 Civic hatchback to my friend's 400whp '91 Supra Turbo )
Old 03-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99sibluehatchwitb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok he says that honda are getting smoke by stock turbo cars... well my civic hatch with a b16a2 with i.h.e pulls hard on wrx's not sti but still ........ and when you say y doesnt honda make turbo well vtec is basically a turbo and if you turbo a vtec motor the turbo takes away from vtec... correct me if im wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your B16 with I/H/E doesn't pull for **** on any well driven WRX. Wanna prove me wrong kid? I'm very, very close to Auburn, CA.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you sir...are an idiot, read these articles, test is next weekend:

What does the VTEC system in a Honda engine do?

How Turbochargers Work

How Superchargers Work

and for kicks:

What is the difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger on a car's engine?

source: how stuff works
Old 03-10-2007, 08:57 AM
been there done that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99sibluehatchwitb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok your a ******* retard i said vtec is basically a turbo meaning it act like a turbo giving the car a lilttle boost.... i didnt say it is turbo you expletive nut</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you know how a turbo works? it compresses air and shoves it into the engine. vtec allows the valves to stay open more and for longer.

so yea, learn before you speak.

to the OP; honda builds economy cars that get great gas mileage and many of their cars are ULEV. which in this day and age is very important to consumers. they market to the masses. why would they waste their time and money building a bigger engine with more power and less mpg catering to a niche market? you also need to think before you speak.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: why doesnt honda make a large displacement engine? (maynards_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maynards_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I got my first crx at 17 I never looked back. I have absolutely beat the **** out of hondas and they have just kept asking for more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

QFT
Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 AM
HT White Ops

I don't even have to say anything at this point. Everyone else has pretty much ripped you open as wide as you'll go.

Think before you post, child.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

THey dont need to make a bigger motor, they're already selling cars that are quick and have good gas mileage.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99sibluehatchwitb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok he says that honda are getting smoke by stock turbo cars... well my civic hatch with a b16a2 with i.h.e pulls hard on wrx's not sti but still ........ and when you say y doesnt honda make turbo well vtec is basically a turbo and if you turbo a vtec motor the turbo takes away from vtec...</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You apparently have no idea what variable valve timing or turbochargers are. They are <u>completely</u> different. They're so different, I shouldn't even have to waste my time explaining how they are different...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I Lol'd
Old 03-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quadfourdohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats why honda should put out a few or even one engine with big hp in a mid size package so they can gain some real respect with other companies and other people than just the honda community.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sooner or later they will replace the NSX will a car that will clean house.

As for making cheap cars with huge power, it just doesn't fit Honda's strategy. They are a niche player in the car market - cars with small engines that are still fun to drive because they are well tuned and lightweight. They stick to that formula and it seems to be working for them. If you want to see a company that tries to be all things to all people, look at GM and tell me how they are doing.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL..thanks for the laugh.

Quick Reply: why doesnt honda make a large displacement engine?