Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why does my car sag to the left

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does my car sag to the left

I got an eg coupe and ever since I bought the car it seems to lean to the left, especially in the rear. Now I've been researchin and most people r sayin its the springs yet some people r sayin struts. Now keep in mind I also have an oem setup. Another thing is I was thinkin about is gettin coilovers to fix the problem, although my back tires r prollly about 4 degrees off in camber. So my question is if I lower the car about 1.5"-2" on stock struts will I need a camber kit or just get it aligned?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM

Default Re: why does my car sag to the left

bump
Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've heard, on a stock setup you don't have to adjust camber if you're dropping 1.5-2".

Btw, I would go either with a coilover set or special shocks/spring setup because the stock shock can't handle a lowering spring.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it could sag to left because of the more weight on the left side due to the engine. but alot of cars have this problem. 1.5-2 you most likely will need a camber kit.
my car sags to the left with OEM suspension. other car is excellent because its got tokio struts + springs
Old 07-08-2009, 03:53 PM

yeah i was thinkin about gettin some $50 ebay specials but after reading ppls reviews they dont seem too good... i just dont have the money to drop on brand name **** right now, considering im a full time college student. looks like im just gonna be sittin on stock suspension for a while now
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
New User

Originally Posted by civicgsr499
yeah i was thinkin about gettin some $50 ebay specials but after reading ppls reviews they dont seem too good... i just dont have the money to drop on brand name **** right now, considering im a full time college student. looks like im just gonna be sittin on stock suspension for a while now
never go cheap on suspension. ive had 4 cars that ive dropped over 2 inches. my hatch now is dropped 3. i never used a camper kit. alignments did just fine. no camber problem what-so-ever. my db7 had dropzone suspension. wasnt too bad. run less than 4bills. thats coilovers and struts.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to check a couple of things. you can see if your springs over time have sagged under the weight. you can also have a piece of suspension that could be tweeked alittle bit. or it could be that your camber could be completely off on one side which will mildly tilt your car that direction. it could also be struts worn out. if worse comes to worse the frame could be possibly bent and covered up
Old 07-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by spags930
you need to check a couple of things. you can see if your springs over time have sagged under the weight. you can also have a piece of suspension that could be tweeked alittle bit. or it could be that your camber could be completely off on one side which will mildly tilt your car that direction. it could also be struts worn out. if worse comes to worse the frame could be possibly bent and covered up
But if my frame was bent (which I highly doubt) wouldn't the car drive crooked
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason it's sagging is because it's got thousands of miles put on it by someone driving it sitting on the left side of the car. That's it. If you want to fix it get new springs. If you want to be able to adjust it, get coilovers. For the alignment, it will only be a toe set, camber and caster aren't factory adjustable. Typically caster doesn't need to be messed with. But for the camber, personally I like the adjustable ball joint for the front, and an adjustable rear upper control arm for the rear. I used the adj BJ on mine up front, and cheaped out and used some shims between the control arm and body in the rear. That will get you back into spec, and not make your car look retarded driving down the road with the wheels leaning in.