Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why do people hate the Del Sol so much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Sensational

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people hate the Del Sol so much?

Well I talked to my parents about co-signing me on a 300ZX N/A and got a respounding no, so I gots to do something else. I already like Hondas so I was thinking of something like the EJ coupe, EG Hatch and EG CR-X del sol whatever. Well I been searching through the archives and it seems like everyone hates the Del Sol, why is that. Is it really a black sheep in the Honda nmae like the Element?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (CBXweb)

Most people dis del sols, becuase they are kinda of a gay car.

Not many stright guys drive them, i love them tho, i think they are tight, who cares what other people think its your ride not theres, so fucken em.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (Quad-Damge)

i consider most volkwagons a gay car, not del sols.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

weight is a big factor on del slows o i mean sol. i belive the delsol weigths about the same of a 99-00 si
Old 09-11-2003, 09:42 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (blackhatchy)

i guess a lot of people consider them to be girl cars, but i could care less. i my sol.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:43 PM
slo

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (blackhatchy)

how could any one consider the first civic to come with a twin cam <b16> to be gay, all of you cats would have never even heard of theat motor< or at least until fast and furious came out if it werent for the del sol the tru heads <like my self boyght the del sol in 97 tuning ever since, you kno what im talking about>>>>
tris
Old 09-11-2003, 09:45 PM
slo

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (slo)

also the 93 S model <base> mine whighs <on a semi truck scale> 2097 with me in it , half tank of gas, and GSR seats other than that stock
tris
Old 09-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Sensational

What people think of me if Im driving a car doesnt matter as long as I like it. But I want to know is it really a bad car, like is it dangerous or just weighs too much or what?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm guessing here but I think many people consider convertibles/targas/t-tops as "girl" cars. Just a stereotype IMO, I'd never consider an S2000 a girl car, for example.
And yes the car is fairly heavy for being a 2-seater. I remember when it first came out, people were disappointed that this "girl" car was to replace the beloved CRX. Nimble autocrosser reincarnated as an overweight boulevard cruiser.

OT but i went to the dealership to look at used del Sol VTEC but got a new 99 SiR instead, talk about dodging a bullet! JK, IMO, del Sols can be pretty decent if done right. But hey, it's YOUR car, if you like it, that's all that matters. The hardware is proven, no worries there.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:10 PM

people are ignorant
Old 09-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i mostly hear people just say its slow (del slo).. becuz it weighs a lot for being a 2 seater.. like 2300-2500lbs?.. but i dont care what people say.. i like my sol
Old 09-11-2003, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

yeah sure maybe a crx goes faster or a civic si has a better motor...whatever...you can't cruise targa style at the beach like any of those other cars so there. Not to mention, most 96-97 del sols, like mine, pack a modified D16Y8; so be careful who you talk **** to...some 1.6L honda might own you. Mods soon to come.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also the 93 S model &lt;base&gt; mine whighs &lt;on a semi truck scale&gt; 2097 with me in it , half tank of gas, and GSR seats other than that stock
tris </TD></TR></TABLE>

Per msn site the 93 del sol s with manual trans list at 2277 lbs.

A buddy of mine has a del sol and just dropped a b16b in it. pretty nice ride now.

Kinda kept my distance from the guy at first though...until I saw his girlfriend. Then I figured he wasn't ghey.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how could any one consider the first civic to come with a twin cam &lt;b16&gt; to be gay, all of you cats would have never even heard of theat motor&lt; or at least until fast and furious came out if it werent for the del sol the tru heads &lt;like my self boyght the del sol in 97 tuning ever since, you kno what im talking about&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
tris</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't hate the Del Sol, in fact a few of my friends were building there's up pretty nice back in the day. The B16 didn't really impress me all the much, cause we all had those in our CRX's and Civics before the Del Sol VTEC model came about.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Sensational

Well I guess I'm going to try to get a 92-95 HatchBack instead of this Del Sol nonsense, obviously its not as good as I tought it was.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (rodrez)

I mostly just see girls rockin 'em... they're not a bad car... but if you roll over in one i think you would be decapitated... assuming you had the targa top off. but that could happen in any car with a targa top.

Get the car that you want, don't care about what other people say

Goodluck
Old 09-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CBXweb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CBXweb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I guess I'm going to try to get a 92-95 HatchBack instead of this Del Sol nonsense, obviously its not as good as I tought it was.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man if you like the Delly, get it. Don't settle for something because others don't like it. Remember, it's your money, whatever makes you happy is really all that counts. Also keep in mind, there's a billion Civics on the road, but not as many Del Sol's, so you're less likely to see clones. (if that matters to you)
Old 09-11-2003, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (EGRhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGRhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get the car that you want, don't care about what other people say

Goodluck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hes right. Test drive several Del Sol's and some 5th gen civics. Dont buy your car on a "trend" basis get what you want. You'll be happier.

I think I confuse a lot of people driving a Civic...Instead of some new bad-*** car...but thats not what I like so I dont.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also the 93 S model &lt;base&gt; mine whighs &lt;on a semi truck scale&gt; 2097 with me in it , half tank of gas, and GSR seats other than that stock
tris </TD></TR></TABLE>

2097lbs ? Strange how your stock Del Sol weighs less than my dx hatch which only has 2 front seats, no interior, a/c parts and 1/2 tank of gas....

The Del Sol, also called the Del Slow got it's name because the car is a heffer. It's not the heaviest civic model, but it's in the top 3. It seems to be a fave with guys of questionable nature and the ladies.

I don't think I would buy one as a daily driver, but the car is pretty bad *** looking IMO.... I like targa's... Some Ferrari's come w/ Targas... I don't think they're gay...

w/e the real hatred of the Del Sol is that when it went into production, it meant the death of the CRX...

Just like many Prelude lovers don't dig the RSX... same reason.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (X2BOARD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2097lbs ? Strange how your stock Del Sol weighs less than my dx hatch which only has 2 front seats, no interior, a/c parts and 1/2 tank of gas....

The Del Sol, also called the Del Slow got it's name because the car is a heffer. It's not the heaviest civic model, but it's in the top 3. It seems to be a fave with guys of questionable nature and the ladies.

I don't think I would buy one as a daily driver, but the car is pretty bad *** looking IMO.... I like targa's... Some Ferrari's come w/ Targas... I don't think they're gay...

w/e the real hatred of the Del Sol is that when it went into production, it meant the death of the CRX...

Just like many Prelude lovers don't dig the RSX... same reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think he meant to say his cars weight was written in stone...or maybe he did.

Either way I never thought scales that are built to weigh semis can properly weigh something as light as a civic. The truck scales we have here in town that dont charge for weighing your car pretty much give out the same weight.

Everyone I know that goes there gets the magical 2400 lb weight number.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rodrez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Man if you like the Delly, get it. Don't settle for something because others don't like it. Remember, it's your money, whatever makes you happy is really all that counts. Also keep in mind, there's a billion Civics on the road, but not as many Del Sol's, so you're less likely to see clones. (if that matters to you)</TD></TR></TABLE>
True, this whole industry/scene was built on being different and original. Buying a car that "everyone else has" is not something that sits well with me, personally. And yet I drive a Civic... LOL Seriously though, it depends A LOT on your personality. Wanna join the masses (and drive Civics) or go against the grain? Totally up to you.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:41 PM
tangb2023

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (elevatethis)

[QUOTE= most 96-97 del sols, like mine, pack a modified D16Y8; so be careful who you talk **** to...some 1.6L honda might own you

haha funny shiet. most people have b series swap on this site. dont get me wrong it is a fun car cause of the targa.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:44 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (tangb2023)

imo the del sols just look kinda funky...they are also too small for my tastes...maybe if they were rwd id like them a bit more...but until then i wouldnt buy one...
Old 09-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much? (X2BOARD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just like many Prelude lovers don't dig the RSX... same reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What does the prelude have to do with the RSX? I thought that the RSX replaced the integra in America.

Modified by SeaQuake at 5:14 PM 9/12/2003
Old 09-12-2003, 01:23 AM

the del sol is my favorite car ever!!! I sold mine and I regret it more then anything I have ever done!!!

mine weighed 2220 with full interior and a half tank and the is about what my hatch weighs.

there are many more prose then cons on the del sol!! it was my first car and Im about 2 steps away from selling my b16 hatch and getting another del sol!!

IMO they are the best honda ever made!!!!

I like the way they corner to! much better then my hatch!!!

Quick Reply: Why do people hate the Del Sol so much?