Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why do people do rear disc conversions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default why do people do rear disc conversions

Pretty much exactly what the title states, and please don't say "search" or anything of the sort b/c I checked all over HT and searched the web and I still can't find anything to answer my question.

Why do people w/ original drum brakes "upgrade" to disc brakes? They brake harder or something? Iono, most of my cars have been 4 wheel disc brakes except my EX which had discs in front and drums in back..so what's the big deal over the disc brake conversion?? I personally like drum brakes b/c u can pull the e-brake and leave skidmarks, slide, roast the tires standing still, pull 180º's and whenever u pull up the e-brake, they're locked, so they're not going anywhere oppose to disc brakes where u can still move the car....
Old 06-14-2006, 10:40 AM
cute little bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: why do people do rear disc conversions (Syndacate)

You can do all that stupid **** with disc brakes too you know. I did mine because I thought they would stop better. But mine actually suck and I regret it. Only good thing is it looks a lot better than the ugly drums
Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pretty much exactly what the title states, and please don't say "search" or anything of the sort b/c I checked all over HT and searched the web and I still can't find anything to answer my question.

Why do people w/ original drum brakes "upgrade" to disc brakes? They brake harder or something? Iono, most of my cars have been 4 wheel disc brakes except my EX which had discs in front and drums in back..so what's the big deal over the disc brake conversion?? I personally like drum brakes b/c u can pull the e-brake and leave skidmarks, slide, roast the tires standing still, pull 180º's and whenever u pull up the e-brake, they're locked, so they're not going anywhere oppose to disc brakes where u can still move the car....</TD></TR></TABLE>

as big as the internet is you found no answer, unlikely! disc brakes conversions are done for better stopping distances, not for tearing up your tranny and motor to do stupid burn outs!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: why do people do rear disc conversions (SkoundrelUSA)

lol, u can't do half the stuff, sometimes u can pull 180's, but most of the time not b/c hte tires don't always slow enough, u can't hold the e-brake and roast hte tires b/c IT MOVES, can't yank it in the middle of the road to leave black marks...can't do any of the **** u can w/ drums
Old 06-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: why do people do rear disc conversions (philosofy1)

Why do people do anything? Simple as that. Who cares what others do.

For rear disc if done right you could stop way better then a drum will let you.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:55 AM

i use my e-brake to hold my car in one spot while im not in it. anyone else?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, u can't do half the stuff, sometimes u can pull 180's, but most of the time not b/c hte tires don't always slow enough, u can't hold the e-brake and roast hte tires b/c IT MOVES, can't yank it in the middle of the road to leave black marks...can't do any of the **** u can w/ drums</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf are you talking about? I've done the stupid 180 **** with my rear discs.

And have you been to a racetrack? Ever see that really neat thing people do before they race? It's called a burnout. And contrary to popular belief, the car has rear discs! HORRRYYY COW!!!!

I don't know where you got this idea, but I'm guessing your friend's car or something. His brakes must just suck more ***** than mine
Old 06-14-2006, 10:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can do all that stupid **** with disc brakes too you know. I did mine because I thought they would stop better. But mine actually suck and I regret it. Only good thing is it looks a lot better than the ugly drums</TD></TR></TABLE>
After I did my conversion, my car stopped a lot better. There must be something wrong with your setup.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:57 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: why do people do rear disc conversions (PhatBoy5015)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhatBoy5015 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
After I did my conversion, my car stopped a lot better. There must be something wrong with your setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I need new pads, and my e-brake cables are super ghetto
Old 06-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, u can't do half the stuff, sometimes u can pull 180's, but most of the time not b/c hte tires don't always slow enough, u can't hold the e-brake and roast hte tires b/c IT MOVES, can't yank it in the middle of the road to leave black marks...can't do any of the **** u can w/ drums</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who ever told you this you need to stop listening to them, cause they're wrong. Like the others said, if you do your rear disc swap correctly it will stop quicker, and you'll still be able to do all those hooligan type things that everybody loves to do but won't admit to.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why do people do rear disc conversions (Chem Geek)

i like the rear disc better. i have ceramic pads all around and it stops on the dime.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: why do people do rear disc conversions (fmrprojects)

They dont stop shorter than drums but they do provide more consistant braking performance as well as less tendancy to grab when wet.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why do people do rear disc conversions (fmrprojects)

Well I did mine simply because I had the conversion already and they needed new shoes/drums anyways. Plus I was able to uprade my LCAs and add a rear swaybar all in one swoop. Braking has improved and my ebrake works fine (but then again I spent like an hour and a half just on that alone to do it right). So for me it was:
Needing to get new drums/shoes anyways
Already having the conversion
Wanting to upgrade the LCAs(why do them sepperatly if you don't have too?)
as well as one of the bolts was broken @ the LCA and trailing arm(Gave me a good chance to inspect &/or replace all the other bolts on a 15 year old car)
Old 06-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Discs

They have more stopping power than drums.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Re: (IGGY)

nobody has said anything about it being so much easier to do your brakes when you have all disc. Drums are a bitch to do a brake job on.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sol2hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nobody has said anything about it being so much easier to do your brakes when you have all disc. Drums are a bitch to do a brake job on. </TD></TR></TABLE>
not really, and its not like you have to replace your rear brakes often.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rednas)

the reason most people do them is just for the bling, since they look much better than some rusted out drums.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do people do anything? Simple as that. Who cares what others do.

For rear disc if done right you could stop way better then a drum will let you. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah man i feel you on teh drum brakes.... its much more jdm that way.. me likes to do 360s eww ever done that one.and i go to drift competitions and ebrake infront of all of dem and dey go woooo wooo / sarcasm

diaf
Old 06-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rednas)

Yeah, changing rear drums is not harder than changing disc pads if you ask me....
And as far as everyone gloating about better stopping power, rear brakes only account for 10% of total stopping power or something like that, unless of course you are going 60mph in reverse!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why do people do rear disc conversions (Takea$wigg)

Like other said, might as well when you already are going to do the LCA's.

And what the heck does /sarcasm mean?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aphex23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aphex23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> unless of course you are going 60mph in reverse!</TD></TR></TABLE>

reverse tire screeching FTW.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b3c4us3 y0u c4n PulL s0m3 m4d dr1fts y0
Old 06-14-2006, 01:09 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (fast95eg8)

With rear discs you should be able to pull the e-brake & do some sweet 1080s all day long. Drums are only good for one or two 540s at most...

Old 06-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Re: (94eg!)

Because Civics are fast

But really some are just wanna be racers, that think they drive 9/10ths on their way to Wal-Mart

Quick Reply: why do people do rear disc conversions