Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why did my quarter glass randomly shatter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did my quarter glass randomly shatter?

I was sitting at a stop light and my right quarter glass just randomly shattered.

Recent mods are I installed a carsound cat...

On occasion, mostly on the highway, If get's sorta uncomfortable on my ears in the car.

and omni coilovers....The old suspension was really low without bump stops. It bottomed pput really hard, really often.

I'm getting new glass this afternoon, and would prefer to avoid breaking it too.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Why did my quarter glass randomly shatter? (tecnic1)

whoa. thats odd. you sure someone didnt throw something at your car or shoot a bb gun at your window?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why did my quarter glass randomly shatter? (light2light)

weird... either someone smashed it or a very low probability situation. Unless there was some major body flex going on I couldn't say what happened. I'd say just stick in the new one, make sure you do it properly and just know it's very unlikely to happen again. If it does then go through the hassle of tracking it down. Unless this has happen to someone else on here before that can give you a quick insight.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It did not break because of the sound, if that's what you were hinting at.

Most likely, someone shot a pellet gun or something.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:26 AM

or somekinda small explosives that you had stashed in the rear of the seat, was this stop light close to the airport? BOOM myfriend!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It did not break because of the sound, if that's what you were hinting at.

Most likely, someone shot a pellet gun or something.</TD></TR></TABLE>I would not expect the sound, but maybe a resonance of some sort....A vibration more then a sound..

Pelett gun is possible. I was stopped.

I also drove the car through a car wash 20 minutes prior...

This sucks, I don't like no knowing why things break.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (tecnic1)

you were getting gatted at
Old 02-19-2007, 10:14 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tecnic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would not expect the sound, but maybe a resonance of some sort....A vibration more then a sound..

Pelett gun is possible. I was stopped.

I also drove the car through a car wash 20 minutes prior...

This sucks, I don't like no knowing why things break.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sound is vibration, vibration is sound.

There might be a very very very tiny chance that ice formed somewhere in the seal and caused it to shatter... but I find that doubtful that it would manage to freeze so fast that it would expend right between the body and the glass enough to shatter the glass.

Someone probably threw or shot something at you.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 AM

has ure car been wrecked on the quarter panel b4?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sound is vibration, vibration is sound.

There might be a very very very tiny chance that ice formed somewhere in the seal and caused it to shatter... but I find that doubtful that it would manage to freeze so fast that it would expend right between the body and the glass enough to shatter the glass.

Someone probably threw or shot something at you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes but very unlikely.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tecnic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would not expect the sound, but maybe a resonance of some sort....A vibration more then a sound..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Harmonic resonance (vibration) IS sound. You feel sound, the only reason you hear it is because your ears are like satellite dishes attuned to that frequency range.

Anyway, I have to agree with everybody else that says somebody with a high powered bb gun or a pellet rifle popped out ur window. The chances of that just "happening" without the chassis being torsionally strained are almost 0 to none.

Throw the new window in and move on.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Looked at it closer, and it did get shot..... very annoyed, but at the same time relieved that it's not an issue with the car.

But, in my own defense, I am extremely familiar with sound wave propagation. And I gess I misworded my "Theory"

By vibration, I meant Vibration of the chassis. analogous to the motion of a drum head as opposed to the sound way being emitted from the drum. I have all 5 motor mount inserts, and there are a lot of vibrations and resonances on my car
Old 02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tecnic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looked at it closer, and it did get shot..... very annoyed, but at the same time relieved that it's not an issue with the car.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Happens to the best of us. My brothers firebird got shot randomly by a BB gun. And I can't even count on one hand how many times I've been driving through town and kids are throwing **** at cars/trucks or my car.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:24 PM
H-T White Ops

Sucks. I don't know for sure, but a lot of people have seem my wreck from a few years back and said my tire looks like it was shot. I think it was probably just a bubble on the brand new tire though (sidewall blow out on a tire that I hadntt even gotten home yet, car spun out, hit a concrete pylon at the base of a light pole).

And yes, I said above that it was incredibly unlikely to have been ice.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackHXCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Happens to the best of us. My brothers firebird got shot randomly by a BB gun. And I can't even count on one hand how many times I've been driving through town and kids are throwing **** at cars/trucks or my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im pretty sure that they would get a beat down if they did that to me.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackHXCoupe)

dam bro that sux, well at least you know what is was and now you can put in the new glass and move on
Old 02-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (honda97hb)

that **** is crazy...getting shot at while dead stop at the stop light....dayum....but have fun with the new window
Old 02-19-2007, 02:23 PM

the new window was sorta inexpensive....

$140 installed. I was sorta surprised...

But still...

I've been egged, keyed (twice), paintballed, spit on countless times and now shot with a BB gun. I guess that's the price of driving a clean car...
Old 02-19-2007, 02:25 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tecnic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the new window was sorta inexpensive....

$140 installed. I was sorta surprised...

But still...

I've been egged, keyed (twice), paintballed, spit on countless times and now shot with a BB gun. I guess that's the price of driving a clean car...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You also live in hick central over there in VA. I grew up in a farming suburb called Tumwater. I had so much stuff hucked at my old accord, and obscenities screamed.

My favorite was "Burn in hell, Honder ******!"
Old 02-19-2007, 02:34 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You also live in hick central over there in VA. I grew up in a farming suburb called Tumwater. I had so much stuff hucked at my old accord, and obscenities screamed.

My favorite was "Burn in hell, Honder ******!"</TD></TR></TABLE>
Maybe DE was nicer to mine. Keyed twice and spit on at least once (in the parking lot).
Old 02-19-2007, 03:29 PM

Do you have pics of the window? i will be able to tell what happend if you posted em up. I specialize in balistics. The chances of the window getting blown out by a pellet gun is pretty rare.

ive shot at cars with a 22 and still a flat faced surface didnt completely shatter.

You would beable to tell if it was a pellet, since it would have webbed up 1st, then shattered.

Im almost gonna say the window was already cracked, and the cold from the weather cause it, since you went through the car wash previously.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have pics of the window? i will be able to tell what happend if you posted em up. I specialize in balistics. The chances of the window getting blown out by a pellet gun is pretty rare.

ive shot at cars with a 22 and still a flat faced surface didnt completely shatter.

You would beable to tell if it was a pellet, since it would have webbed up 1st, then shattered.

Im almost gonna say the window was already cracked, and the cold from the weather cause it, since you went through the car wash previously.</TD></TR></TABLE>I don't have pics, but you could see where something impacted the glass and left a little pit, then cracks propagated radially from that point (near top edge of glass). The glass was still intact (except at edges) but completely shattered.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:39 PM

oh and to prove its not a pellet.....if you ever look at the dynamics of a bullet, its not the actual lead that makes the insertion, its the big wall of dead air that opens up the hole.

Now if the pellet actually broke through the glass somehow, the projectile is not large enough to create a suction to encave the whole window.

Say you get shot, the initial opening is say 1/2"...but just like dropping a 2 ton ball into a lake of ocean, the back lash or suction causes the most damage...this is why the m16 uses a burst fire, to double tap its target, creating much more effective stopping power.

So i dont see how a 1-2mm peble going at 500ft/sec could shatter a window which is supported by silicone..

and if it did happen to you, it probably wasnt a pellet. Ive shot a 7.62x51 nato round into a windshield and didnt even web.

and ive even taken a golf club to some bitches face, and half the club cought the window, that didnt even break the window.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:40 PM

rock, those are going to shatter something that way.

the little mexican probably hit it just right.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 PM

i shot a weak bb gun at at back window from 40 feet.... it webbed up then collapsed .5 seconds after. of course i told noone about this when it happened. so if the owner of that toyota is reading this, i am sorry and it will never happen agian.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:13 PM

Can I ask what year your car is? There is a recall on 06 and up civics. Now your story sounds like something contacted the glass shattering it. The recall actually states the rear corner windows will literally fall out. Just some food for thought, and useless information for you.

Quick Reply: Why did my quarter glass randomly shatter?