Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why did my new cat go bad so fast?

Old 07-24-2004, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why did my new cat go bad so fast?

what is wrong with my cat?
:: well i put a universal CATco 2.25 cat on my car like 2 weeks ago...
and recently had some big clunking noises like something is loose and rattling and when i hit the gas...nothing happened, felt like i had no power....

take my exaust off, the honeycomb part (inside) is loose and the big clunk of the stuff is moving around.

im running a d16z6 with just a 4-1 header and the 2.25 piping to the es oval.... the guy i bought my cat from told me something is wrong with my engine...

i dont have a clue if its::
the shitty cat...
or the engine...

anyone?

ILL POST A PIC IN THE MORNING
Old 07-24-2004, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ummm a wild guess but could be running really rich, or it's a crappy cat. id go with number 2 it being a crappy cat.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: (SwampThing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwampThing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be running really rich</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-24-2004, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look at that someone agrees with me for once w00t. yeah running really rich would be my pick, then crappy cat.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:04 AM

Default Re: (SwampThing)

if i was running hella rich... wouldnt i get either a CEL... or some smoke or something?? i hope its THE crappy cat....

thanks guys... more comments/ help is/are welcome
Old 07-25-2004, 12:23 AM

i had the same prob...... runnin rich aye?? hmm crazy.....
Old 07-25-2004, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why did my new cat go bad so fast? (al3e)

Whoever told you its because it's running rich is wrong. There's 3 things I can think of that could have happened #1. It was junk to begin with. Most likely in my opinion. #2. A rock hit it or you have an extreme vibration. #3. And least likely is you are running very LEAN or missfiring and it got extremely HOT. In which case I figure your pistons would prob be fried by now. And you say the mechanic said something that was wrong wth your engine caused it?.........If he's so smart, then whats wrong with your engine?.........Sounds to me like someone is taking advantage of you .....................John
Old 07-25-2004, 02:32 AM

Default Re: why did my new cat go bad so fast? (h22John)

i think your mechanic is wrong with your engine lol , i've heard alot of bad things about catco so i second the crappy cat
Old 07-27-2004, 02:19 AM

Default Re: why did my new cat go bad so fast? (h22John)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whoever told you its because it's running rich is wrong. There's 3 things I can think of that could have happened #1. It was junk to begin with. Most likely in my opinion. #2. A rock hit it or you have an extreme vibration. #3. And least likely is you are running very LEAN or missfiring and it got extremely HOT. In which case I figure your pistons would prob be fried by now. And you say the mechanic said something that was wrong wth your engine caused it?.........If he's so smart, then whats wrong with your engine?.........Sounds to me like someone is taking advantage of you .....................John</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah

There are ******** that will take advantage of you... I doubt that there is something wrong with the engine and my bet goes to the shitty cat...

For christs sake, my friend has a D16A7 Civic from 1990 with more than 300.000 miles, the engine leaks all over, he is running one day rich, one day lean, and one day he DOES NOT RUN... and he got this cat that some local garage makes (it is very very cheap - like 50$ with a 1 year warranty)...

Over 2 years he had NO PROBLEMS, and he passes smog but he fails visual inspection od the engine... but the thing is HE PASSES SMOG...

So if it would be engine problem, his cat would go bad 2 years ago (read: immediately) cos this sucka is busted all the way...

So don't be shy and don't be affraid to ask QUALITY FOR THE MONEY... don't let him mislead you...

And like someone said... if he is so smart, let him explain what is wrong with your car!!!

And just last questions...

how many miles the car has???

and how many miles did you pass with that cat before it went bad???
Old 07-27-2004, 02:52 AM

Default Re: why did my new cat go bad so fast? (KKVTi)

Not that I'm a troubleshooting GURU but I know I trashed a cat once because I bottomed my car out racing and broke up the honeycomb. Is there any big dents on the cat? If not I would have to assume its a really cheap cat because your engine would have to be running really bad to heat up and destroy the honeycomb--your cat would have to be like glowing red for it to get that bad.