Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into?

Old 07-12-2001, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into?

My wife has had the civic for a couple months now and it has been broken into twice now. The first time the tachometer was stolen and now they were just in there looking around. The windows were not broken, they were rolled down.

Now I am looking into either fixing the problem or canning the car all together.

Any advice?
Old 07-12-2001, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into? (StanBo)

get a mercedes with those crazy security systems, civics will always be easy to break into, my advice is to put it in the garage and becareful where you park
Old 07-13-2001, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

proximity sensor, & a back up battery did the trick for me
Old 07-13-2001, 09:25 AM
New User

Default Re: Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into? (DragIIcivic)

I agree with Drag, the proximity sensor and a back up battery is a pretty good theft deterrent. I've seen people pop open civic hoods just from reaching their hand into the bottom grill on the bumper.
Old 07-14-2001, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into? (Unleashed5GHBGS-R)

OK so I set up a proximity sensor and an extra battery. The thieves will still get in. I will not hear the alarm and my neighbors will ignore it.

I have come up with another solution and it will stop all thieves.
Old 07-14-2001, 07:42 PM
New User

Do u have an alarm for yours. I have a 94 and the same thing happened to my car last week. No sign of forced entry so I guess they rolled down my windows too. They stole some **** from my car and popped my hood and stole my intake. Fucked up ****....I got a Viper alarm for it. I hope that should help or can they still get in????????????????
Old 07-14-2001, 09:58 PM
New User

shocks sensors, prox sensors, tilt sensors, and a back up battery. i think Alpine make the best alarms.
Old 07-14-2001, 09:59 PM
New User

Default Re: Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into? (LilCivic77)

alarms do NADA!!! if they want ur car they will take it a bunch of my friends in houston have had there cars stolen it is getting VERY popular also they are using lo-boys(those tow trucks that ur car is pulled on to) to take the cars. one idea is to take out ur computer. but there is no real soloution BUT u could have a lo-jack (sp?) installed in ur car that is the GPS tracking device that is installed in a secret place in ur car so they know where to locate it it is very kool all the new cars have it like ON*STAR etc. just a thought.......... my two cents...
Old 07-15-2001, 03:13 PM
New User

Default Re: Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into? (civic_hatch_gurl)

for my little hatch i put a hood lock...repath the hood wire...put rusted razors near the hood wire so they cant pull on it....kill switch...alarm...and magic sensors to start my car...
Old 07-15-2001, 10:14 PM
New User

Default Re: Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into? (iluznxpnoi)

one of my buddy has this chip that he plugs in with out the chip the car doesn't start and an alarm. me my 40glock and an alarm will do hehe
Old 07-16-2001, 05:05 AM
New User

The design of the door handle realy sucks. All anyone has to do is pry it up slightly at the bottom and they can pop the lock rod by moving it with a small screwdriver. Too many theives know this trick. You can tell it's happened because it will bend the metal slightly around the handle.

I fixed (or at least minimized) this problem by epoxy-ing a 16 gauge steel plate directly to the door skin around the bottom of the handle. i cut the shape of the handle out with an air nibler and curved the plate with a little hammer and anvil work. (who knew high school shop class would come in so useful)

I'll say this though. If i ever catch someone in the act of trying to jack my car they won't live very long.
Old 07-16-2001, 06:53 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

I have a quick-release steering wheel disconnect on the way. Requires racing wheel though. No steering wheel in the car should be good deterrent.
Old 07-19-2001, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into? (jg)

I bought the Clifford Concept 600 and it is the best alarm. I have it installed on my 94 de sol si and it has a proximity sensoe for when the roof is off, blackjack anti-car jacking system, two button valet pad,shock sensor, a window brake sensor. When I alarm my car the windowa automatically go up, when you kick the tire, the alarm goes off. when the alarm goes offand you come back to your car, when you push your button to dealarm your car there will be a certain amout of beeps, that indicate what section of your car was fucked with.i have it set to where when someone looks inside my front windshield it sneds off a warning beep.(they cant see through the side window because of limo tint) If you do get an alarm get the clifford concerp 600. they also cove up to $3000 of damage and **** stolen out of you ride. take it easy....... be safe

civicss94
Old 07-19-2001, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into? (civicss94)

Lojack is ok if they take the whole car. If they take it I will most likely not want it back. I have seen how cars come back after they are stolen. I had a truck stolen from me and it was never the same.

I have done the razor blade trick on the front grill and I am looking to do it to the window jams. It seems thieves like to shove their fingers in there so they will be surprised.

Alarms don't help. People ignore them and I will not hear them. I live in the city.

The only plus side is that they can get in without breaking the window. So I haven't had to replace them.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:32 PM
New User

First of all there is no 100% way to stop a thief from taking your car, if someone wants your car then they will take it. One of my friends works for lojack and he gives me the lowdown on the car security industry and ill hand on his wisdom to you. First off the purpose of an alarm is just to warn you that your car is being tampered, the rest is up to you. Second proximity sensors and all these other high tech add ons to alarms, you dont need them, sometimes they interfere with each other and end up ruining your alarm, the more stuff you add to an alarm the more things that can go bad down the road, the onlything you really need is a shock sensor, there are some things that you just cant avoid people from doing to your car, if their stupid whats a red led to stop em anyways right? shock sensor will do the same thing as all these other sensors, you can just adjust sensitivity and you will be fine. Another thing a lot of these alarms now a days have the same damn sounding siren, you know what im talking about, police siren, ambulancea nd all that crap, it is all bull. Whats to tell you if the siren you hear is your car or someones across the street? What you want to do is get a air horn or something, get something that sounds different, something that will wake up the whole damn neighborhood, this and a nicely tuned alarm will work fine. If you add on all types of stuff the more and more sensitive your car will become and any strong gust of wind will set it off, you dont want an alarm that goes off every single time it rains, then youll just ignore it the one time its for real, you want it to be where the only time its gonna go off is when it really counts. Lojack is a nice system but be sure to read your warranty and make sure your up to date on it, and for you guys who just wanna get teh sticker to deter thieves, think again, my friend tells me stories of guys who do this and it usually goes: punks broke into it, took it dumped it and burned it! What i would get if i were you would be a nice alarm with shock sensor only, with air horns. get the steering wheel with detachable hub that their talking about you can get em here http://www.daveturner.com just call him up and tell him you want the detachable steering wheel hub, its really slick and it adapts to the momo hubs and then you can use a sparco steering wheel for the racer look. then just take your steering wheel, how many thieves do you know of who carry around steering wheels? you could also get the new pedal lock thingie, thats what i got and i see no way of gettin it off short of cuttin off hte pedal. but to tel you the truth no matter how you cut it, if someone really wants your car, theyll take it.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:44 AM
New User

Default Re: Why is it that civic's are so easy to break into? (HondaCRX)

Alarms don't help. People ignore them and I will not hear them. I live in the city.
A prox, back up battery and two air horns should wake the neighborhood up. those damn air horns are loud! Ever been to a hockey game??