Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why can another civic's key, crank up my Civic??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can another civic's key, crank up my Civic??

Ok so its like the title states, I know this guy with a 99 DX coupe who was just messing around today and tried his key in my ignition (a 97 CX Hatch) , and to my astonishment it worked!!

Why is this? Can I do anything besides change the ignition? My key didnt work with his car, but this just shows how easy it is to steal a honda
Old 05-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why can another civic's key, crank up my Civic?? (Brian Hinson)

Thieves dont rely on the off chance that their key will work. They go for straight up busting your ignition.

Chances are, your ignition cylinder's tumblers are pretty worn. A new cylinder from honda is $85
Old 05-12-2005, 05:17 PM

Its ridiculous how easy it is to steal a honda. Takes no more then 60 seconds. Is that a pic from your car? I should put a pic of my busted ignition up here. ****** bastards looooovvvvveeee my car. 3 theft attempts
Old 05-12-2005, 05:18 PM

Its nothing about the car. its about the pattern of the key. It happens in alot of cars suprisingly and also surprisingly alot of home locks!. my grandmother did this once on accident where she got into the car next to hers (same color, make, model) and she only noticed it wasnt hers b/c there was no junk in the seat.

back on topic, it all has to do with the lining up of the pins in the lock. Check his key next to yours and see how the pattern differs.

finally if you think its ur ignition, check if his key will open ur locked door. if so then you may want to have it checked.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (phanatic)

Yep, that was my ignition.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its ridiculous how easy it is to steal a honda. Takes no more then 60 seconds. Is that a pic from your car? I should put a pic of my busted ignition up here. ****** bastards looooovvvvveeee my car. 3 theft attempts</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try having a car for 2 years..and ******* trying to get it 21 times..thats right 21 times
Old 05-12-2005, 05:35 PM

I bought my car on christmas eve last year. 3 days later someone tried to steal it. It's sad you cant have anything nice. Did you ever replace your ignition? Mines is still hanging? I bought the plastic caeing that goes around the steering column. Havn't put it on yet.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try having a car for 2 years..and ******* trying to get it 21 times..thats right 21 times </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're in JC/Hobo right?

I'm not suprised.

My old 944 was stolen in Newark. NEVER recovered...never got paid by the insurance and lost the suit, I got screwed.

Anyway, You can't do **** about it...I wouldn't even worry about it.. I would rather someone steal my car with a key then bust everything possible.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:26 PM

Oooh alright, yea his key wont open my doors thankfully. And im pretty sure its the tumblers in my ignition cylinder like my_slow_civic said. My car has pretty high miles for a 97 and Im sure its been cranked more then most.

Should this be something I should worry about? I dont exactly have the cash right now to drop into a new one of these, but then again im not to worried about someone stealing my car, its still got the D16Y7 and its all primered up lol.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (92civicb18b1)

pic any number from 1-10. write it down and do it again so you have 4 numbers. how many different combinations can you get before you start repeating combinations??

same thing with keys. even the keyless entry has been known to open different cars. not just another civic either.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my_slow_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Chances are, your ignition cylinder's tumblers are pretty worn. A new cylinder from honda is $85</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats another possibility too
Old 05-12-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: (civictildeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pic any number from 1-10. write it down and do it again so you have 4 numbers. how many different combinations can you get before you start repeating combinations??
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This would be true but he also said his friends wouldnt open the lock.

however, i am curious about one thing. I would take you're friends key, and if you have your valet key check and see if they are similar
Old 05-12-2005, 07:04 PM

i've heard of this happening before too. a DA car key into an EF. haha.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why can another civic's key, crank up my Civic?? (r0semary)

yea i had this happen to me, i didnt notice i put my moms accord key in my civic until i shut it off.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:36 PM

Just to chime in here, I ordered a new key for my car today from the dealer by my vin number. The new key has the same BASIC shape as my key ive been using but the new one has far more kaged edges to it, to the point it looks like it wouldent work. Surprisenly enough it does.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:55 PM

But, if it was the odd chance that we had the same kind of lock/ignition, wouldnt my key be able to crank his car?

And we compared keys afterwards, Maybe if I get up with the guy tomorrow I can get a pic up an show everyone.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brian Hinson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but then again im not to worried about someone stealing my car, its still got the D16Y7 and its all primered up lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you know thats the worst part of it all......my car is basically a stock sohc with exaust and suspension....and these bitch *** ***** still tried to get it that many times.....and you know what...if they do take it, their gonna pop the hood and be disappointed ....then they'll leave my car and the block for the cops to find and i won't get a check from the insurance <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92civicb18b1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're in JC/Hobo right?

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are correct...#2 in the country for stolen vehicles
Old 05-13-2005, 11:21 AM

i can open my buddy doors with my key
Old 05-13-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: (t0ekn3e)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20vtecNJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Try having a car for 2 years..and ******* trying to get it 21 times..thats right 21 times </TD></TR></TABLE>
try 5 times in 6 weeks, thats what happen to me when i moved into an apartment for the first 6 weeks, then i got a better alarm then what i had with VERY sensitive shock sensor and VERY VERY sensitive proxcimity sensor, people would drive next to my car when i was parked and it would mark noise at them, and i'm talking they were rolling 5ft. away from my car, Then i got a house with 2car garage and dont have too much trouble anymore.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: (ssbpturbohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are correct...#2 in the country for stolen vehicles</TD></TR></TABLE>

I won't park my hatch into the 201 unless I know it's safe, the prelude is the only thing I would park there cause I could care less about it.

My prelude was broken into once in Jamaica...Then I got a ticket for "obstruction of view" cause they cracked the windshield.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: (92civicb18b1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20vtecNJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you are correct...#2 in the country for stolen vehicles </TD></TR></TABLE>

My car get broken into in my backyard

Too many theives in jersey
Old 05-13-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: (ssbpturbohatch)

I have a civic and prelude, civic got stolen 3 weeks ago and prelude got broken into last night. They stole bull **** from the lude but I'm starting to hate having a honda. With these thieves its like trying to beat a magician at there own game. They know all the tricks and more.
RIP 92 EJ
Old 05-13-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: (CoupeVtec2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My car get broken into in my backyard

Too many theives in jersey</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont say that! I got a turbo hatch sitting in my backyard. I also have 2 dogs, 6 loaded guns, and a mom with bat ears.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:00 PM

Chances are, your ignition cylinder's tumblers are pretty worn!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: (spoon.eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon.eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dont say that! I got a turbo hatch sitting in my backyard. I also have 2 dogs, 6 loaded guns, and a mom with bat ears. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i got that, except the dogs n ammount of guns, but i got a nice alarm system on its way http://www.compustar.org/secur...t.htm
That should help too
Old 05-13-2005, 09:00 PM

damn..more vehicle will be stolen because of this thread..

Quick Reply: Why can another civic's key, crank up my Civic??