Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why call it an EK

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why call it an EK

i have always wondered and it bothers me why entusiasts would refer to their usdm 96-00 civic hatch back as an EK it states very clearly on the VIN tags EJ if you read the helms inc manual for this range of vehicles the explaination of the VIN shows location of manufacture the chassis code (EJ) engine model and serial # of the vehicle why are we so accepting of such incorrect terminology ?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why call it an EK

I have a cousin named EJ.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Trial User

unrelated to topic yet still good to know ! i just wonder where it is that the sport changed. i havent played with hondas for about 10 yrs now and it used to be our crowd was proud of massive accomplishments from small displacement engines now i see a lot of people with fiberglass bumpers trying to make a 10yr old civic look like an r34 skyline and it still has the d16 in it drum brakes in the rear and a huge oil leak from the dizzy ! there are still quite a few that participate in club sport grass roots racing and beleive in a clean functioning vehicle being more important than different looking head lights tail lights bumpers and neon lights . so why is it that we accept what is incorrect ? why call it an EK ?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe its cuz the ek9 is the jdm type-r civic hatch. kinda like the eg coupe is really an ej as well. i may be wrong though but im pretty sure thats why
Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B4me
unrelated to topic yet still good to know ! i just wonder where it is that the sport changed. i havent played with hondas for about 10 yrs now and it used to be our crowd was proud of massive accomplishments from small displacement engines now i see a lot of people with fiberglass bumpers trying to make a 10yr old civic look like an r34 skyline and it still has the d16 in it drum brakes in the rear and a huge oil leak from the dizzy ! there are still quite a few that participate in club sport grass roots racing and beleive in a clean functioning vehicle being more important than different looking head lights tail lights bumpers and neon lights . so why is it that we accept what is incorrect ? why call it an EK ?
As far as your original question people have been posting what is essentially the same question on H-T for the last 10 years. Essentially it was a quick and easy way to identify a generation of civics, because no one seems to know what 6th gen civic means, or it took too long to type. To quote Red Green "Its not right, or correct, but its part of what makes us who we are" As far as the other stuff I think you're about 10 years behind the times.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Chassis codes are also reference to trim levels. I'm pretty sure hatchbacks are considered EK's, even though non-hatchie owners always refer to their coups and sedans as EK's. I have a '98 coupe EX, so it's technically an EJ.

By the way, I have a fiberglass R34 bumper on my EJ8, but it is definitely not a D16 nor is it naturally aspirated. I'm actually converting that bumper back to stock... most likely tomorrow. BTW, Certifit is win. $37 for perfect fitment front bumper versus $212 from the dealership. Sure it's not an "authentic" Honda part, but it's exactly the same in every aspect, without a Stanley or Honda logo on it in some obscure location that cannot be seen outside the car anyhow.

Anyway; EK, EJ... same thing to me. I'm not one of those elitist asshats who needs to correct everybody's errors if their errors are seen by 99% of the population to be correct.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quick way to refer to a 6th gen like stated before. i my self have a ej6 (dx coupe 98') and refer to it as such, people are always calling it an ek, kinda annoying
Old 12-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Every time I hear this debate I think ..."Ok we get it, get over it"...I know its not the accurate, but its kind of a universal term at this point, and people know exactly what your talking about. It kind of annoys me when people argue about it, because it's too late. It's ingrained into peoples minds, and won't be changing anytime soon. However, when I try to use this logic on people saying "I drive an Si Clone"....it annoys the funk out of me!..lol..go figure!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I heard japan 96-00 civic is ek instead of ej on the vin #.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Because that's what the owners of H-T want to call them.

Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
EG/EK Civics Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

..lol i call my ek SALLY j/k
Old 12-09-2010, 01:20 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Because people are uninformed and lazy.

A more accurate way to narrow it down, but still only type a couple of characters is to perhaps call it a 6G.

I drive an EK coupe. = I drive a 6G coupe.
I love EKs. = I love 6Gs.
What about US EKs? = What about US 6Gs?
No confusion there imo. At least no more than the term "EK" brings.

Oh, and to the person earlier saying EKs are just hatches and coupes are EJs, that's also incorrect. Here's the info I've managed to gather on 6Gs. This should work for the entire world, not just the US.

Code:
6G (1995-2000) Models:

EJ6 - 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC 2/3/4 door
EJ7 - 1.6L SOHC VTEC-E 2 door
EJ8 - 1.6L SOHC VTEC 2/4 door
EJ9 - 1.4L SOHC non-VTEC 3/4 door
EK1 - 1.6L SOHC VTEC-E 3/4 door
EK2 - 1.3L SOHC non-VTEC? 3/3 door
EK3 - 1.5L SOHC VTEC 3/4 door
EK4 - 1.6L DOHC VTEC 3/4 door
EK5 - 1.6L SOHC ?? 4 door 4WD
EK6 - ??L SOHC ?? 3 door
EK7 - ??L SOHC ?? 3 door
EK8 - 1.6L SOHC ?? 4 door 4WD
EK9 - 1.6L DOHC VTEC 3 door
EM1 - 1.6L DOHC VTEC 2 door
EN1 - 1.6L SOHC VTEC CNG 4 door
Here in the US we get the EJ6, EJ7, EJ8, EM1 and EN1. The EJ6 would include the CX hatch, DX coupe/hatch/sedan, LX sedan and VP/SE sedan. The EJ7 is only the HX coupe. The EJ8 is the EX coupe/sedan. The EM1 is the Si coupe. The EN1 is the one really special one, being the GX sedan that no other country got.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh, and though I find chassis codes interesting at least to a degree, I'd encourage people to NOT use them. Especially if you're using the chassis code in any sort of tech not directly involving chassis codes. It takes less time to type out what trim level your car is ONCE than to have to correct and do damage control in a thread after the fact.

Reasons:

- Often the person using the designation has little idea what it means, thus they often use it incorrectly.

- Often others reading the designation have little idea what it means, thus they often use this information incorrectly.

Both of these reasons can lead to people giving out and recieving incorrect information! For example, the other day someone was asking why EF steelies aren't fitting his EG. People assumed he was talking about a '92-'95 Civic hatch and they also assumed all hatches had the same size everything in the wheel wells. So it was decided the OP probably had Accord wheels, which have a different lug pattern. Turns out the OP has an EX coupe, which has larger front brakes, which the 13 inch 4G steelies he had purchased (twice!) wouldn't clear.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they are ek's in the uk
we call the EK4 a VTI and there are versions such as the VTI-S

check them out the VTI-S is a 4 door civic that came with a MB6 engine. its a 1.8 Vtec engine think it produces 175 hp.

i drive a proper EG6 though JDM to the core no worries there lol
Old 12-09-2010, 02:30 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Amy does my name bother you :x

(I've actually given thought to changing it but I'd have to get a subtitle "Still Ek 4evr!!" or something.)
Old 12-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

who gives a f@#k...i call them EK's..not because i dont know the difference but because thats what most of us want our cars to look like and perform like..their JDM versions ofcourse..get technical all you want but i wont change what i call em...EF/EG/EK/DC..if you cant get used to it GTFO
Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by cali-boi_eg6
who gives a f@#k...i call them EK's..not because i dont know the difference but because thats what most of us want our cars to look like and perform like..their JDM versions ofcourse..get technical all you want but i wont change what i call em...EF/EG/EK/DC..if you cant get used to it GTFO
Before you ingrain that sentiment please realize there are plenty of slow honda EK's all over the world.

Would you like a 90hp diesel civic? BUT IT'S AN EK OF COURSE I DO!!!!

Not every EK was a CTR.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

.......wow.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I always get EG/ EK and crap confused and just look passed it. If I'm speaking about my car and the chassis code is what comes to mind during the comment, I always write EJ8, not just a generic EK.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

civic from japon are ek not usa but everybady want to be jdm
Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^hah no they don't.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
^^hah no they don't.
....yes.....they doooooooo haha
Old 12-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol! this is just one more thread about ppl being bothered by the fact people call their 96-00 civics EK... like they said above most ppl will know when you talk about a EK rather than getting technical over what VIN# your car has...

Mine is still a EK
Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Daughter not possible

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll just say EK coupe, or whatever.

I know exactly what my cars were, but most times its just more simple when talking to others to say aloud "EG coupe EX" than EJ1. Or "EK Si"

I had an HX at one point, and in that instance you only need to say I have an "HX", no "EK coupe" no "EJ7", I'm gonna assume it's an "EK coupe", Yeah theres a 7G HX but it "doesn't count", kinda like if someone says "I have an Si" You assume a 6G or or "I got a new Si" is 8G. People also dont call EP3's Si, rather "EP"

So basically whatever is convenient.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by caballero1381
civic from japon are ek not usa but everybady want to be jdm
Wrong.

EK's were sold all over the world.

Quick Reply: why call it an EK