Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why am i rich?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:02 PM
mike93eh

Default why am i rich?

yes i searched and read alot but no answers. okay there is always black soot all over my bumper and hatch. caused by burning oil or running too rich. im positive im not burning oil. and i dont know why i would be running rich. here are the things i very recently replaced. (but this soot has been showing up for a long time)
NEW o2 sensor, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor, plug wires...

why am i runing rich?! (if thats even why there is black soot on my assend)
Old 01-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: why am i rich? (mike93eh)

What car/engine?
How many miles?
What mods?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: why am i rich? (NonovUrbizniz)

what gas are you running.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is telling you it needs to be tuned...get a VAFC, take it to the dyno, and have a nice day
Old 01-27-2004, 09:13 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What car/engine?
How many miles?
What mods?</TD></TR></TABLE>

93 civic hatch dx d15b7 non-vtec sohc
140,000 miles
mods..intake, header, custom cat-back, msd cap/coil

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what gas are you running.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i use 89 octane
Old 01-27-2004, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How old is the "custom" catback... and what's it made of... If you're not running a resonator and a canister style muffler that alone will allow a LOT more soot out of the tail pipe...

You may want to try running a good fuel injector cleaner like Chevron Techron it may clean out the combustion chambers a bit.. could just be carbon build ups...

Also what BRAND of gas do you use... crappy gas has WAY more crap in it...

I'd replace the pcv valve... and maybe take a look at how clean or dirty the throttle body is... clean out the IACV and the TB and see how it runs after that...

Also do you keep the car clean/waxed... because if there's soot stuck on the paint more soot will stick to it then if you had kept it clean.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:27 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How old is the "custom" catback... and what's it made of... If you're not running a resonator and a canister style muffler that alone will allow a LOT more soot out of the tail pipe...

You may want to try running a good fuel injector cleaner like Chevron Techron it may clean out the combustion chambers a bit.. could just be carbon build ups...

Also what BRAND of gas do you use... crappy gas has WAY more crap in it...

I'd replace the pcv valve... and maybe take a look at how clean or dirty the throttle body is... clean out the IACV and the TB and see how it runs after that...

Also do you keep the car clean/waxed... because if there's soot stuck on the paint more soot will stick to it then if you had kept it clean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have 2.25" mandrel bent stainless steel piping to a striaght thru muffler.. and i forgot to put in my first post that ive also put a new pcv valve on. i dont really use a specific brand of gas either, i use whatever is nearby but always 89 octane. and i clean my car regulary, im always cleaning the soot off, i hate it. ill take a look inside the TB. how would you suggest cleaning it out?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I push the throtle plate open with my finger and get a rag as far behind it without losing it as possible... then I spray the crap out of it with choke cleaner and then use a tooth brush or rag to clean of the plate/walls...

Just from my own experience... My car has recently (after 150k mi.) started to put out a LOT more soot then it used to... I'd imagine it's just it's age showing...

I don't know though maybe someone else will chime in with some good info...

I'm kind a shot and it's late so I could be totally missing the obvious at this point.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it sucks to be rich, huh?

the first thing i would do is clean out my exhaust piping.... a lot of soot collects in there... maybe it's just overflowing now...? just an idea.......
Old 01-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why am i rich? (Team 4R)

I've got the same problem. I'm not rich, and I'm not burning oil (I know both of these for a FACT). I don't know what else to do but clean the bumper more often.

EDIT: I thought it could be from runninng catless as well, but some people have tried to shoot me down on that. It really started once I got my new exhaust setup.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:41 PM
mike93eh

after searching for about 30 minutes on the topic, i came up with two things that causes the soot, running rich or burning oil. this is bugging me that i cant see why i would be running rich. i guess im in the same boat with you, cuz i dont think im running rich and i know im not burning oil..my a/f gauge says im good. but i dont think its that accurate unless i have a wideband o2..i dunno, maybe something else is causing the soot,..
Old 01-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after searching for about 30 minutes on the topic, i can up with two things that causes the soot, running rich or burning oil. this is bugging me that i cant see why i would be running rich. i dunno, maybe something else is causing the soot,..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your car is going to run rich stock in VTEC. I have never gotten my car to run 100% perfect, but did'nt have the soot problem until I got rid of my cat. I pretty much put a new intake manifold on, a new exhaust and a header in the period of a week though. I even have a Wideband 02 that sits in the car 100% of the time, so I'm not all that rich. And I don't burn oil either. Crap I wish I could figure this **** out too!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:45 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: why am i rich? (Team 4R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team 4R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it sucks to be rich, huh?

the first thing i would do is clean out my exhaust piping.... a lot of soot collects in there... maybe it's just overflowing now...? just an idea.......</TD></TR></TABLE>

how would i clean out the exaust piping?? its all one mandrel bent peice and its all welded. theres no taking it apart. hmm
Old 01-27-2004, 09:49 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: why am i rich? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your car is going to run rich stock in VTEC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont have vtec though

someone help us 3 out!! whats the deal? i bet if i go back to stock exhaust it wouldnt do it..naaah screw that idea
Old 01-27-2004, 09:51 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gees people. getting rid of a catalytic converter will cause the soot. why do you think they are there? How a cat works:

there is a bunch of ceramic honeycomb in the cat, and when the car heats up, it glows red. this burns off all that black catalyst so it doesn't get all over your bumper.

To the thread starter:

if you still have the stock cat, get a new one. catco makes god ones. just don't get a "racing" cat, as they don't have any honeycomb in them, and don't do anything.

good luck
Old 01-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to get a lot of black gunk spitting out my tail pipe but that was becuase I was burnin oil, remeber that when you burn oil then smoke will come out black and not bluish white. If its bluish white smoke then that means your burnin coolant.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it coudl be alot of things but, get some real (not the shitty stuff at kragen) fuel injector cleaner and use that. could be your cat is getting shot too
Old 01-28-2004, 01:27 AM

Default Re: why am i rich? (slammed_93_hatch)

mine just started putting out the soot about 3 weeks ago. didn't start until after i took the cat off. i have a feeling it's that cause i haven't done anything else to it.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:21 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ShadyEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShadyEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
there is a bunch of ceramic honeycomb in the cat, and when the car heats up, it glows red. this burns off all that black catalyst so it doesn't get all over your bumper. </TD></TR></TABLE>

say it with me: paalllaadddiiiiuuummm. paladium is the catalyst in your converters.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
To the thread starter:
if you still have the stock cat, get a new one. catco makes god ones. just don't get a "racing" cat, as they don't have any honeycomb in them, and don't do anything.
good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, don't run a highflow cat off eBay, they are trash. nothing more than fancy resonators. Get one of them ALONG with a cat-co cat and you'll be good. cat-co will be your cat and highflow will be your resonator.

If you are NOT forced inducted in any way then the best way to clean your combustion chambers is to run a little on the lean side as this will raise your combustion chamber temp enough to burn out most of the depositing. Easy way to do this is to get an adjustable fpr and turn DOWN the fuel pressure. Don't do this long or at WOT as you risk breaking something a little more. The higher egt's will also burn out some deposits in your exhaust.

even though you aren't probably throwing a code, it might be time to think about a new oxygen sensor or two...even if it "IS" still functioning properly....

by the time you get 150k on the clock it will have enough depositing on it to throw off it's readings making it send a leaner signal to the ecu which will inturn cause the ecu to add more fuel....thus you'll run richer and deposit MORE on the oxygen sensor, and repeat....as you can see this just makes it worse and worse. visious cycle.

No, you can't wire brush your oxygen sensor. no you can't chemical clean it either. Don't get a used one. Buck it up and buy a new one and be done with it. While you're at it, swap your plugs/plug wires and open the gap on the plugs up about .02-.05 past factory specs to get a more complete burn in the cylinder.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why am i rich? (Spartanic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spartanic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used to get a lot of black gunk spitting out my tail pipe but that was becuase I was burnin oil, remeber that when you burn oil then smoke will come out black and not bluish white. If its bluish white smoke then that means your burnin coolant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are wrong

black smoke = excess fuel
blue smoke = oil being burned
white smoke = coolant being burned

if its bluish white, then you are burning coolant & oil, IE headgasket gone.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:10 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

say it with me: paalllaadddiiiiuuummm. paladium is the catalyst in your converters.

yes, don't run a highflow cat off eBay, they are trash. nothing more than fancy resonators. Get one of them ALONG with a cat-co cat and you'll be good. cat-co will be your cat and highflow will be your resonator.

If you are NOT forced inducted in any way then the best way to clean your combustion chambers is to run a little on the lean side as this will raise your combustion chamber temp enough to burn out most of the depositing. Easy way to do this is to get an adjustable fpr and turn DOWN the fuel pressure. Don't do this long or at WOT as you risk breaking something a little more. The higher egt's will also burn out some deposits in your exhaust.

even though you aren't probably throwing a code, it might be time to think about a new oxygen sensor or two...even if it "IS" still functioning properly....

by the time you get 150k on the clock it will have enough depositing on it to throw off it's readings making it send a leaner signal to the ecu which will inturn cause the ecu to add more fuel....thus you'll run richer and deposit MORE on the oxygen sensor, and repeat....as you can see this just makes it worse and worse. visious cycle.

No, you can't wire brush your oxygen sensor. no you can't chemical clean it either. Don't get a used one. Buck it up and buy a new one and be done with it. While you're at it, swap your plugs/plug wires and open the gap on the plugs up about .02-.05 past factory specs to get a more complete burn in the cylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a new o2 sensor, as i said in the first post..but i guess im going to get a new cat...where can i get a catco? ive never heard of it.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have a new o2 sensor, as i said in the first post..but i guess im going to get a new cat...where can i get a catco? ive never heard of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your local muffler shop
But, I dont think it will have flanges on it so it would be a weld on..
this will only be a problem if you have catback which in this case you dont...so go for catco but my advice stay OEM if you can

Goodluck
Old 01-29-2004, 02:00 PM

whats exactly running "rich" and running "lean"?? im wondering.. ( sorry didnt take auto class in high school )
Old 01-29-2004, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (illmatik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illmatik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats exactly running "rich" and running "lean"?? im wondering.. ( sorry didnt take auto class in high school )</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rich means there's too much gas (not enough air)...

Lean means there's too much air (not enough gas)...

Stoich means it's perfect... 14.7:1 I believe...

It means for every cc (for sake of example) of gas you burn you're combining it with 14.7 cc's of air.