Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Who makes a good bolt on 3inch exhaust sytem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes a good bolt on 3inch exhaust sytem?

I would like to know some companies that some people have tried with exhaust. I have an EG6 with an H22A. I want to go to a 3 inch set p , but don't want to spend a lot of time modifying the kit i buy. i was and probably am ordering the K tellers kit, although i hear that around rear of car needs some modification. if anyone can post some links of companies i would appreciate it thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: Who makes a good bolt on 3inch exhaust sytem?

If you're not turbocharging the H22, don't bother with a 3" exhaust. Get either 2.5" custom or aftermarket exhaust setup.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3" is too wide, 2.25 or 2.5
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^both lies. unless youre just going to leave it stock.

otherwise 3in is better. proven many times over even on b16s.

doing it with kteller then whatever you choose for a cat/test, resonator, and muffler is probably the cheapest way. i don't see why you'd need any modification. just have to take the rear LCA off for awhile.

otherwise IIRC thermal makes a good 3 in. i don't know of too many off shelf 3 in exhausts.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless turbo 3" will do nothing except loose low end back pressure and more noise.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go look at the all motor section for the 3in dyno. it makes more power across the entire power band.

unless your stock 3in. yes it will be louder thus resonators.

back pressure...really? silly.
anything after the collector is restriction.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't listen the first few posters. 3" exhaust is more power on almost all engines, period. Now, in some instances it might only be a few horsepower across the powerband, but you'll pay for it with 15 decibels. That's why on my h2b build I've decided to go 2.5" diameter. I'll lose ~2-5whp across the band, but it will be tolerable as a daily driver and remain legal for autocross events.

here you go:
http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kte.../i-412211.aspx

Great company, great customer service.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a guideline to diameter and horsepower, if you are pumping out 300 horse then go 3" which I doubt you will be.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by motegicivic
There is a guideline to diameter and horsepower, if you are pumping out 300 horse then go 3" which I doubt you will be.
You're wrong.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...%27%27+exhaust
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/who-says-3%22-too-big-k20-dyno-2341715/

there's a ton more, you dont need a dyno to see, 3'' exhaust should be a minimal for any all motor setup, if its a d series or b series or f or k it shouldn't matter, its been proven time and time again that a 3'' is better.

Here's a quote:
Originally Posted by 92TypeR
As stated earlier in the thread, every component of the exhaust after the final merge collector is either for emissions or evacuation, and is a restriction.

Using terms like "backpressure" is funny because it makes you look like a fool. It is a non-quantifiable term given to a resistance to flow. It literally does not exist. It is unitless. It is just a word used by people who do not understand exhaust flow and exhaust dynamics. It does not exist in any index of any engineering or fluid dynamics text.

If you need further understanding, or are not satisfied with my brief explaination, buy this book: <ISBN: 1860582095>

To the OP: Yes, run the 3". The only downside to having such a large diameter pipe would be noise level.

Edit: The first one even proves that a short ram is better than a cold air intake. That's really the only one you need to look at. End of discussion.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am talking from experience, by the way I am referring to street use, with cats resonators etc, not race set ups or track set ups.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Ek Forever y0!

I am talking from experience, by the way I am referring to street use, with cats resonators etc, not race set ups or track set ups.
And what seems to be "race" oriented about these dynos? These are all catback exhausts according to the poster.

2.5" exhaust

3" crush bent exhaust

I wasn't aware 175whp cars with catback exhausts were considered race cars.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+the+lar...st+for+a+honda
Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont care what dynos say.. its about the butt dyno.. yes how the car feels when you are in it.. i went from a 2.25in straight pipe no cat to 3in straight pipe no cat on a GSR and it just sucked.. felt like i lost all my low end and midrange power.. yea it sounded good and was def ALOT louder but with the motor kinda stock, every kind of power it was making was going right out the tail pipe.. trust me unless your going to turbo or run a big nitrous shot stay with a 2.25~2.5 in exhaust
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MShonda
I dont care what dynos say.. its about the butt dyno.. yes how the car feels when you are in it.. i went from a 2.25in straight pipe no cat to 3in straight pipe no cat on a GSR and it just sucked.. felt like i lost all my low end and midrange power.. yea it sounded good and was def ALOT louder but with the motor kinda stock, every kind of power it was making was going right out the tail pipe.. trust me unless your going to turbo or run a big nitrous shot stay with a 2.25~2.5 in exhaust
Yep, loud as hell and feels like crap.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol. Yep. Who cares about how much power ir ACTUALLY makes. The "feel" determines the real power output. There's no way to make an intelligent argument on the internet.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by B serious
Lol. Yep. Who cares about how much power ir ACTUALLY makes. The "feel" determines the real power output. There's no way to make an intelligent argument on the internet.

Originally Posted by MShonda
Yep, loud as hell and feels like crap.

So I could produce dyno after dyno proving that 3" exhausts make more power across the entire powerband on virtually every engine and there's no convincing any of you?

Is there enough room in the sand for my head too?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat

So I could produce dyno after dyno proving that 3" exhausts make more power across the entire powerband on virtually every engine and there's no convincing any of you?

Is there enough room in the sand for my head too?
This is about real world driving, wow 3 hp difference at certain rpm's. We are talking about having these systems on our cars and they felt like crap, I don't have a dyno sheet pinned to my dash when I drive, I know it will be noisy as hell,drone city etc.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Ek Forever y0!

This is about real world driving, wow 3 hp difference at certain rpm's. We are talking about having these systems on our cars and they felt like crap, I don't have a dyno sheet pinned to my dash when I drive, I know it will be noisy as hell,drone city etc.
Look at the dynos. It's more power across the ENTIRE power band. Period. On every dyno.

I already said it will be more noise, and often times not worth the power gain for someone daily driving the car.

The question the OP asked was answered and with with proof and not hyperbole.

I'm closing this because the OPs question was answered. If you'd like it reopened please send me a PM.