Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who lets their car warm in the morning

ay yo
Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (raphael)

Ive heard bad things and good things so im not really sure
Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i let my car warm up and idel for like 30 sec before i take off and it is not just every monriong.i do it every time when i start the car
Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (crazyguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i let my car warm up and idel for like 30 sec before i take off and it is not just every monriong.i do it every time when i start the car</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. I do wait about a minute or so before I start to move. With this being said, I don't sit there forever waiting for it to idle to operating temp. That would just take too long
Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (crazyguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i let my car warm up and idel for like 30 sec before i take off and it is not just every monriong.i do it every time when i start the car</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ya I do Also but I have heard that the crank shaft is shaped different when its cold and hot and letting a new car idle wears bearings faster or something like that. I got yelled at for letting mt dads S2k Idle too long lol
Old 12-29-2007, 10:37 AM

Ive heard that its best to just go but take it easy on the car, don't get on the gas much at all or anything. But thats just what I have heard.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (cln92eg)

I always let my engines warm up (when cold) for about a 1-2 minutes before I drive the car. I also try to keep the engine under 4k RPMs until the engine is up to operating temp.

When the engine is already warm I usally let the engine idle for 10-15 sec. before I drive it.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default (raphael)

hhmm ok, well I try to let it run for about 2 minutes to the least. Then even then I baby her until running temp. I dont know why haha, but I just dont think its good for the motor to just get-up and go when its freaking 40 degrees out hah. I live in tx which = cold weather half the time.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (Emerica)

As per HONDA'S instructions in the owner's manual.

There is no reason to warm up your car. You get in, crank, wait maybe 5-10 seconds on EXTREMELY cold mornings, and drive away. Drive slowly for the first few miles till the engine starts to warm up. Then drive normally. Most of us live in North America. I doubt there's very many honda-tech members from the arctic circle or antarctica. If you live in a place that it gets EXTREMELY mother freaking cold, maybe let the car sit for about a minute or so. My friend lived in North Dakota for 2 years...he said it used to get to -70 with a windchill at times. Yeah...i'd let my car sit for about 30 seconds to 1 min at that point.

It's a fuel injected car. There's no point in letting it warm up to drive it. Just drive it. (unless it's unbelievably cold like mentioned above)

Long periods of idling are bad for any car. Not because of the bearings or whatever. Lets say you do your oil changes ever 5k or so. If one car never idles, you actually get oil wear equivalent to 5k miles. If the other car idles for a long *** time, you get more oil wear than spec'd.

You also build up a lot of carbon because it's not moving fast enough or getting hot enough to exit.

You waste fuel.

New cars dont like being at the same speed or at idle for a long time. It's not good for them. You have to break the new engine in gently, but not too gently...if that makes sense. I dont feel like explaining in the long version.

Oil actually works better at operating RPMs than at idle from what I've heard. But this could be in no way factual. So dont absolutely trust me on this last comment.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (B serious)

most of the time i do about 3-5 mins bcuz here in Boston is crazy
Old 12-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (B serious)

seems like alot of people have alot of opinions than facts. from my knowledge and what i learned at aircraft engineering school the top-end of a cylinder, closest to the head chamber, is actually constructed to be smaller than the bottom of the cylinder when cool. then when the cylinders reach operating temperature it expands to the size of the rest of the cylinder.

the problem when you dont let the cylinder expand your actually causing massive friction between the cylinder wall, piston and rings. plus the oil isnt at operating temperatures which makes it loose its lubricating properting once it has cooled.

i let my car warm up until the water temperature gauge is at normal(5-10min)
Old 12-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (Lscivic1999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lscivic1999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most of the time i do about 3-5 mins bcuz here in Boston is crazy</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here with me the winter mornings in Boson can get really cold
Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (FastLife617)

on my daily driver ( 96 auto civic) I'll wait maybe 30sec, but my 94 hatch I have to wait longer our it'll fuel cut on me till its at operating temp or close to it.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (FastLife617)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FastLife617 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Same here with me the winter mornings in Boson can get really cold </TD></TR></TABLE>

no **** and i got leather seats too..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seems like alot of people have alot of opinions than facts. from my knowledge and what i learned at aircraft engineering school the top-end of a cylinder, closest to the head chamber, is actually constructed to be smaller than the bottom of the cylinder when cool. then when the cylinders reach operating temperature it expands to the size of the rest of the cylinder.

the problem when you dont let the cylinder expand your actually causing massive friction between the cylinder wall, piston and rings. plus the oil isnt at operating temperatures which makes it loose its lubricating properting once it has cooled.

i let my car warm up until the water temperature gauge is at normal(5-10min)</TD></TR></TABLE>

as soon as the tempurature gauge moves up a lil which usually takes 3-5 mins am off and like B serious just drive slow or at low RPM for few miles...
Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 AM

well i do live in north dakota, and it does get crazy cold here at times. i warm my car up for as long as it takes me to scrape my windows. it still takes 10-20 mins slow driving under 25 under 2500 rpm to get it to operating temp. but when you have a high of 4 degrees what do you expect?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 AM

on cold mornings 0*C (32F) or below i let it idle 5 min and im off gently until full operating temp...anything above 0 i let it run for 2 minutues min and take off gently again.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hell i live in AL and i still let my car warm up for 5 mins or so
Old 12-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG_FTW)

Waiting until your car is at operating temp is unnecessary. I always wait 30 sec to a minute so the oil pressure gets up and the head is properly lubed. I used to drive a turbo Z, so waiting to let the oil circulate is a habit for me.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lscivic1999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no **** and i got leather seats too..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the main reason why i sold my leather seats and switched back to my si interior in the winter to cold or in the summer to hot and sticky espically in black coupe
Old 12-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i let it run summer or winter.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who lets their car warm in the morning (REAL TIME)

I always warm my car up and take it easy for first few miles to get oil to op temp. I also let it cool down before shutting off. Cons of turbo charged car i guess.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard call, when I lived at home and it was right outside, every single day.

When I'm at college and it's a 15 minute walk to the parking lot, usually let it warm up for 1-3 minutes, then just take it very easy on the accelerator and shift early until it gets up to standard operating temperature.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol you guys are a bunch of vagines.

Get in, crank, drive.

I've had a plethora of different cars. From turbo, to econo, to high output NA motors. Never let them warm up. Never had any problems. Not even on my 158k mile daily driver GSR. I drive away as soon as it lights up.

Apparently, the owner's manual saying "you dont need to warm the car up" means nothing.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol you guys are a bunch of vagines.

Get in, crank, drive.

I've had a plethora of different cars. From turbo, to econo, to high output NA motors. Never let them warm up. Never had any problems. Not even on my 158k mile daily driver GSR. I drive away as soon as it lights up.

Apparently, the owner's manual saying "you dont need to warm the car up" means nothing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not all cars are the same. i have a 89 Honda Accord (carberator). if i get in and drive once it cranks up, my car stalls out, making it more difficult to start after that. my hatch is a different story though, i can drive once it starts.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol you guys are a bunch of vagines.

Get in, crank, drive.

Apparently, the owner's manual saying "you dont need to warm the car up" means nothing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My Z28 had a manual choke, you have any idea how hard it is to drive a car with a manual choke without it warming up in cold weather?

Quick Reply: who lets their car warm in the morning