Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

White smoke WTF! Plz help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 White smoke WTF! Plz help.

ok so i just finished up rebuilding my ls/v. and when i finished up droping it in my hatch i go to start it, it starts right up but my idel dident sound to healthy so i check my codes and i was throwing a map code and i couldent figure out why it was throwing the code i hook up a few map sensor and it still threw it. so i let it idel for about 15 mins to set the rings. as soon as that was done i called my friend who is good at wring and what not he told me to bring it over and he will fix my wiring. anyways im on my way there and its running pretty good, but about 2 mns in the drive i look in my rearview and see a big cloud of white smoke behind my car so imidiatly shut the car off and coast into a parking spot, i poped the hood started looking things over and i didne have anyleaks or any anything so i was like wtf? i sat there for a little and decided to start it back up again and it dident smoke any more so i figured ok its prolly just clearing its self out so i start driving again and about anouther 5 miles it dose it again so im shut it off check over everything again and dident find anything. decided to start it and it smoked for a minute or 2 at idel then stop. then i got to my friends house and my map sensor is fixed and my idel is perfect now (1k) but it constantly smokes white now? i drove it about 20 miles so far and i pulled my plug in cylander number 4 and smoke came out of my clyander i look down my cylander and theres a puddle of clear/green fludid on my piston. so im thing maybe i blew my head gasket? i checked over my coolant lines (i have clear lines) and i noticed little oil residue in the tubes, so i figured maybe my head lifed? so i torque my head studs down again and assembled it and it still smoked! so earlyer today i pulled my head off and check my head gasket and as far as i can tell it looked good. so now im stumped. im thinkng maybe myblock isent sealing with my head/gasket proberly? i know my head is not worped because its the same head iv had for 2 years. but im not 100% the block.

what do you think it could be? it blows white smoke out of the exhaust. i read its either burning coolant or a bad pcv system. please help i have alot of money and time in this motor so i would like to figure this out asap!

i have a ls/vtec with a cometic head gasket and a golden eagle block gard.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Default Re: White smoke WTF! Plz help.

ur head could be warped causing the haed gaskit ti not seal properly causing coolant to ge in the cylinder or when they put the block guard on it cracked the sleeve
Old 03-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Compression test?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:42 PM

yup tht would tell you if you have compression but a better test will be a cylinger leak down test because it will tell you whick cylinder is actually leakin and where its leatkin
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

white smoke = bad head gasket or bad seal between the head and the block
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

plus the fact that you looked in the cylinder and apparently saw coolant on the piston