Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

White smoke...what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke...what is it?

Whenever my car is on (92 civic) i have white smoke coming out of my exhaust pipe even when its just standing there. More comes out when i accelarate etc. when im driving and when i look in my rearview mirror i can see the little trail of smoke i leave behind. Its not that bad when im just standing at a stoplight or something (dont leave everyone standing by me in a cloud) but its enough where u can see it coming out of my exhaust. Its not very thick. Can anyone tell me what the cause/problem might be? I was thinking maybe burning too much oil and something with the seal but im not sure. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance
Old 07-26-2004, 10:04 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: White smoke...what is it? (hondachick05)

does it all the time, i mean everyday? you head gasket might be going, that's usually a sign of burning coolant. check the compression.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Re: White smoke...what is it? (ABK)

does it pretty much everyday but i think its worse when the engine is cold
Old 07-26-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Re: White smoke...what is it? (ABK)

i have been having to refill my oil about every two to three weeks too though
Old 07-26-2004, 10:09 PM

Check your coolant level and also check your oil to see if its milky it sounds like a head gasket
Old 07-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open up your radiator cap and look to see if oil is floating on the top of your coolant.

oil floats on water so thats a telltale sign.

also when coolant mixes with your oil supply, your oil gets all milkchocolate style.

burning oil and smoke could be your piston rings though.

a leakdown test would tell fo sho
compression tests are easy, and might tell you whats up, might not tho
Old 07-26-2004, 10:12 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spence)

yeah I bet you that your oil mixes with colant and colant goes into the cylinder. check the compresion, if you see low numbers check for pistons rings by adding a drop of oil, if the compression doesn't go up then it's your headgasket. Change it as soon as you can.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:24 PM

Default Re: (ABK)

bout how much u think thats going to run
Old 07-26-2004, 10:26 PM

Default Re: (hondachick05)

white smoke = burning oil or VTEKKKK Y000ZZZZ
Old 07-26-2004, 10:28 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

depends how severe it is, and who is doing the work. You better hope you didn't warp or crack the head, or even the block yet (you shouldn't have because you didn't overheat yet right?). I would say price of the headgasket, maybe some need head bolts, and either elbow grease, or labor money (could be anywhere from 250-500 at the shop). What's the milage on the car it might be good idea to change the water pump and timing belt as well.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:29 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ty_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ty_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">white smoke = burning oil or VTEKKKK Y000ZZZZ </TD></TR></TABLE>

How about no? your madd jdm skillz fooled you again, it's blue smoke.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:31 PM

the smoke is bad piston rings. thats why its eating up oil. start lookin for a new engine my friend, as to replace the rings - the cost of labor is not worth the motor. start saving up for a swap. move on to bigger and better things
Old 07-26-2004, 10:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">depends how severe it is, and who is doing the work. You better hope you didn't warp or crack the head, or even the block yet (you shouldn't have because you didn't overheat yet right?). I would say price of the headgasket, maybe some need head bolts, and either elbow grease, or labor money (could be anywhere from 250-500 at the shop). What's the milage on the car it might be good idea to change the water pump and timing belt as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i havent been overheating and the car has 177,000 miles on it. Its a 1.5 liter sohc havent gotten my swap yet
Old 07-26-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Re: (sanya_sk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanya_sk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the smoke is bad piston rings. thats why its eating up oil. start lookin for a new engine my friend, as to replace the rings - the cost of labor is not worth the motor. start saving up for a swap. move on to bigger and better things </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont have the money right now for a new engine jsut got done having to do my clutch. so what to do? know anyone that has a engine for a decent price?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:38 PM

sounds like a headgasket to me, check the coolant
Old 07-26-2004, 10:38 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sanya_sk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanya_sk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the smoke is bad piston rings. thats why its eating up oil. start lookin for a new engine my friend, as to replace the rings - the cost of labor is not worth the motor. start saving up for a swap. move on to bigger and better things </TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF is wrong with you, I told you it's coolant not oil. God damn what the hell is wrong with you child? Just stop talking until you know what you are saying.

the motor is still alive, so just replace the headgasket but have someone check the compression. if were you I would pay someone you know or someone from honda-tech to do it, since it's an expensive job if it's done by the shop.

or you could buy a cheap d series and have that thing swapped in but it would cost you little bit more since as far as I understand got to have someone else do it.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the guy says hes losing oil fast remember.

but yeah.. hg or rings is what it sounds like to me.
just take it somewhere and have a compression/leakdown test done.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:46 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

yeah it's possible that oil is getting burned as well, but coolant is getting burned for sure since it's a white smoke not blue. so it's almost 100% the headgasket, and compression test would be nice to make sure, that it's nothing else.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WTF is wrong with you, I told you it's coolant not oil. God damn what the hell is wrong with you child? Just stop talking until you know what you are saying.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha. oh no, i have been told
Old 07-26-2004, 10:50 PM

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the guy says hes losing oil fast remember.

but yeah.. hg or rings is what it sounds like to me.
just take it somewhere and have a compression/leakdown test done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry sweetie but im a girl remember?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just buy a cheap d block and replace it
Old 07-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Art In Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just buy a cheap d block and replace it </TD></TR></TABLE>

she can hardly do maintenance. what makes you think she can do a swap?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all you can do right now is add coolant to your reservoir. until you can take it to a shop. you might have to keep adding it every trip, but it just might save your engine.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:03 AM

Default Re: (frostcivic)

I dont know how bad the car is running but it sounds shitty. You might want to look around everybody and there mother has a D series swap rotting away in their garage.You should be able to pick up a decent mileage D swap for a few hundrad dollars and then have who ever works on your car put it in or you and your friends do it (if you have the tools). Putting a D series swap in is very cheap and simple, I'm not a great mechanic but me and 3 friedns got it done in 3 hours. "Not a sermon just a thought"
Old 07-27-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: (frostcivic)

I dont know how bad the car is running but it sounds shitty. You might want to look around everybody and there mother has a D series swap rotting away in their garage.You should be able to pick up a decent mileage D swap for a few hundrad dollars and then have who ever works on your car put it in or you and your friends do it (if you have the tools). Putting a D series swap in is very cheap and simple, I'm not a great mechanic but me and 3 friedns got it done in 3 hours. Prolly be cheaper and easier then fixing your current motor, plus you my have already damaged the head (which is expensive to fix). "Not a sermon just a thought"

Quick Reply: White smoke...what is it?