Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

white residue on OIL CAP, not radiator. problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white residue on OIL CAP, not radiator. problem?

i posted yesterday how my sister had some white residue on her radiator cap, and her mechanic said she should take it to the dealership while its still under warranty and get a new head gasket. i was a little confused though. apparently, the white residue is on her OIL cap, not her RADIATOR cap. my mistake. she said she has had no problems with overheating or white smoke or anything. just that her independent mechanic noticed some white residue.

she called the honda dealer and the service rep said it was normal because honda engines run so hot. she has a 2000 civic hatch with like 40K miles on it. basically, my question is, is white residue on her oil cap (and not her radiator like i thought yesterday) something to worry about?

thanks in advance, and sorry for any confusion to anyone who read my post yesterday!
Old 01-03-2003, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: white residue on OIL CAP, not radiator. problem? (mysisterhasahondanotme)

Yeah, I knew what you were talking about yesterday. White residue on the cap or dipstick usually indicates coolant in the oil (which is why I asked if the color of the oil had been noted). But without the other syptoms it is hard to say if it is really the headgasket. I haven't had a problem, or noticed, white residue with my D16Z6.
Has anyone with a D16Y7 encountered this issue before?
Old 01-03-2003, 07:00 AM

Default Re: white residue on OIL CAP, not radiator. problem? (Milano_EH3)

thanks again for your response! i was actually thinking oilcap when i typed it yesterday, but i think i posted a little early in the morning. i emailed the thread to my sister and she was like "ummm, he said oil cap, not radiator? could you post it again....".

what's the difference between the d16y7 and z6? sorry, i don't know to much about honda engines. which one would be in my sister's car? thanks again, and sorry for my severe lack of honda knowledge
Old 01-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: white residue on OIL CAP, not radiator. problem? (mysisterhasahondanotme)

You sister has the D16Y7 in her hatch (unless somebody did a swap ), which is a single-cam non-VTEC. Basic motor for the lower trim level (DX/CX/LX) Civics. The D16Z6 I have is an older model single-cam VTEC (the predecessor the the D16Y8 that is in the EX trim level of your sister's Civic generation). Oddly enough I haven't worked on any D16Y motors, so I can't honestly say I have encountered this problem.
So, I was asking if anyone with these motors have seen this.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:38 AM

yup, she's got the basic lower trim model! all those engine codes must get confusing...i won't even ask what's in my girlfriends 2002 civic ex coupe

again, thanks for your help with my newb questions. hopefully someone will be able to shed some specific insight regarding this issue in the d16y engine!

thanks again
Old 01-03-2003, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

D17A2

Come on guys. I too would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem with their D16Y motors.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 01-06-2003, 07:16 AM

hmmmm.......i guess no one else has any input. thanks for your help though milano. i definitely appreciate it i think she's just going to end up taking it in anyway and have it documented in writing that it's "normal", in case there are any future problems with it.