Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Whistling noise while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling noise while accelerating

So I just put in a new Primary O2 sensor, and I noticed this morning when i turned my music down that my car is making a whistling noise when I'm accelerating. The closest thing I can compair the noise to is worn down breaks while stopping (i guess that is more if a squwelling noise though). It appears to come in and go out while the gas is pressed a certain distance down. Doesn't make the noise when I floor it, and doesn't when I'm pressing lightly.

It happens in any gear so I'm thinking it might be that I just didn't tighten the cat to the header enough and there is some vibration there. Anyone have any other ideas? I'm sure it won't take long to figure out this afternoon when I get home, but i just want a list of things to check to make my life easier
Old 05-20-2004, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Whistling noise while accelerating (EvrClrx311)

this happens when the butterfly in the throttle body is opened just enough to create a whistle from the incoming air. The sound is more noticeable if you have an intake. Nothing to worry about.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:55 AM

Do you have some type of aftermarket intake? Sometimes those types of intakes (AEM) make familiar sounds to what you described.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whistling noise while accelerating (98civicHBforsale)

a BAD throw out bearing makes a whistling noise while in all gears,just something to think about
Old 05-20-2004, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Whistling noise while accelerating (jdm civic 2000)

clean your air filter & tb
Old 05-20-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Whistling noise while accelerating (jwn7)

very well could be the AEM intake... I'm just curious as to why this sound is coming out now after putting in a new O2.

Is there any easy way to resolve this? It is driving me insain (its pretty loud)

Could this have anything to do with the fuel filter (which i still need to replace), or the injectors? The noise is very obviously associated with pressure on the gas pedle (has nothing to do with gears or speed)... its almost like I'm playing a song with my right foot because the noise goes in an out as I press on the gas at a specific point. Doesn't matter if the RPMS are at 5K or 1K....
Old 05-20-2004, 11:03 AM

As long as you have an air intake that increases the airflow into the intake manifold, you'll always have that whistling. Every intake I've owned and seen, all made the whistle.

BTW, it isn't supposed to be insanely loud though. Maybe it's something other than the intake...like the clutch's throwout bearing. The whistle an intake makes isn't enough to go insane, unless you're insane in the 1st place. J/K
Old 05-20-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: (EG8 Dimitri)

haha... I can't image this is just a noise I've never heard on my car before. I know that intakes make a whistling noise, but I doubt that is what this is.

I have a Tanabe Medallion that currently doesn't have the silencer in it (I usually throw the thing back in there for road trips though since this system gets so loud)...

The exhaust itself should be loud enough to drownd out any other noises in the car (including my radio sometimes haha), but in this case, i can hear this screatching/whistling noise even in midrange RPMs (when the exhaust is loudest) I really think this has something to do with the fuel injection system - possibly
Old 05-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm civic 2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a BAD throw out bearing makes a whistling noise while in all gears,just something to think about</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EvrClrx311 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It happens in any gear so I'm thinking it might be that I just didn't tighten the cat to the header enough and there is some vibration there. Anyone have any other ideas? I'm sure it won't take long to figure out this afternoon when I get home, but i just want a list of things to check to make my life easier </TD></TR></TABLE>

my question is why did u have to take off the header to put a new 02 sensor in? on all the honda's ive worked on, you dont need too. my guess is that u have an exhaust leak. look for streaks of black soot around flanges, etc
Old 05-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm civic 2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a BAD throw out bearing makes a whistling noise while in all gears,just something to think about</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with this but i dont think thats it.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Whistling noise while accelerating (dantastic)

didn't remove the header, but I did have to detatch the header from the exhaust so that I could get a large enough wrentch under there to get out the sensor from the top of the cat system (it was way too tight on there).
Old 01-20-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: (EG8 Dimitri)

Please could you help me with this problem?

My 9 month old CRV makes a whistling noise when it is doing 2500 RPM. It only makes this noise at 2500 RPM any gear but not at any other RPM. Is this normal? It has only 3500 miles on the clock.

I've read a number of postings on the whistling noise issue and some people are saying it's because of "aftermarket intake" and some say it's because of "AEM CAI". I don't know anything about cars. Could you please tell me what is "aftermarket intake" and what is "AEM CAI"? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Yew_Yun)

my boy had a aem intake on his prelude and made that sound...its pretty dam cool if u ask me..
Old 01-20-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: (antivic)

as soon as i saw this, i had to check it out, b/c my car does the same thing. and i figured it had something to do w/ the intake...so there is nothing to worry about right?

and yea, it does sound kinda cool...the closest i'll be getting to a B.O.V. for now...
Old 01-20-2005, 05:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my guess is that u have an exhaust leak. look for streaks of black soot around flanges, etc</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. Think about this for a second... you drove the car before... no whisle and everything was great. Then you had to seperate the exhaust piping to do the O2 and when it all went back together, it has a whisle. Did you use all new fasteners and gaskets when putting it back together? I'm guessing not... you really have to clean up the mating surfaces good too, otherwise new gaskets won't do ****.

My advise... get new gaskets and fasteners to go between whatever pipes you seperated, clean the surfaces really good, install the new gaskets and hardware, verify the o2 is tight and the whistle will be gone.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Re: (antivic)

I don't know how anyone can find the noise "cool".

I find it quite irritating. It is not insanely loud. It's not like a steam train going WOOT WOOT. It's more like a soft high-pitched whistle noise.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Whistling noise while accelerating (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

My CRV engine hasn't been modified in any way but it is making a soft high-pitched noise at 2500 RPM. Bought it brand-new from an authorised Honda dealer. First 7 months, no whistle at all. Then whistling for the last 2 months but only at 2500 RPM.

Is this to do with the intake? How do I find out what kind of intake system I've got?
Or do you think there is a problem with my exhaust?

Please help.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whistling noise while accelerating (Yew_Yun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Yew_Yun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My CRV engine hasn't been modified in any way but it is making a soft high-pitched noise at 2500 RPM. Bought it brand-new from an authorised Honda dealer. First 7 months, no whistle at all. Then whistling for the last 2 months but only at 2500 RPM.

Is this to do with the intake? How do I find out what kind of intake system I've got?
Or do you think there is a problem with my exhaust?

Please help.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

if it's only nine months old, just take it back to the dealership and have them look at it. your car is still under warranty!
Old 01-21-2005, 02:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it's only nine months old, just take it back to the dealership and have them look at it. your car is still under warranty!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, that's what I would do... they'll probably end up telling you it's a "normal" sound though. When I took my Saturn back to the dealership (was still under warranty) to complain about the catalyst in the converter breaking apart and rattling, they said it was "normal".

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Yew_Yun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do I find out what kind of intake system I've got?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've got a stock air intake system. The air intake system is a system of pipes and baffles leading to the air box (which has your air filter) then more piping and baffles leading to the engine. When people refer to their "intake" however, they are usually referring to the aftermarket air intake system that they have installed, which replaces the factory piping, baffles, air box and filter with a simple pipe and cone filter in most cases. They claim to increase air flow to the engine, but in most cases, they just make your engine louder when you tromp on the gas. Hope that helps.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It maybe from ur sound system, if u ran wire,amp and speaker around the car. If so, did u just turn the system down(low volume) or turn it off??? try turning it off and listen, and if u don't have a system. Maybe it's what the guys say a leak or the bearing gogin out, but a leak won't sound like a whisling.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:01 AM

Thanks for your help.

I did take the car back to the dealer and they said the noise is "normal".

I think they don't want the hassle of fixing especially when the car is still drive-able.

Thanks anyway.