Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

whinning/grinding noise from tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whinning/grinding noise from tranny

d-series tranny, MT, 95 civic si hatch

ok, tranny feels fine shifting with no grinds or popouts. the only problem is in high rpm(3000+) it makes a whining/grinding noise when my foot is off the gas pedal and while still in gear. for ex: when you want to slow down in 2nd gear while going 30mph and your foot is off the gas pedal it makes the noise. it does this in every gear. replaced cluch, throw out bearing, pp, and the little circle thing inside the flywheel and still same thing. i dont race on it at all, just dd it. any help would be great. as stated theres no problem shifting, just alil annoying and if i sell the car i can explain it to the buyer. thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Default Re: whinning/grinding noise from tranny

synchronizers............... order rebuild kit, remove trans, replace synchros, and then put it all back together, the noise will be gone
Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hmoobhero
d-series tranny, MT, 95 civic si hatch

ok, tranny feels fine shifting with no grinds or popouts. the only problem is in high rpm(3000+) it makes a whining/grinding noise when my foot is off the gas pedal and while still in gear. for ex: when you want to slow down in 2nd gear while going 30mph and your foot is off the gas pedal it makes the noise. it does this in every gear. replaced cluch, throw out bearing, pp, and the little circle thing inside the flywheel and still same thing. i dont race on it at all, just dd it. any help would be great. as stated theres no problem shifting, just alil annoying and if i sell the car i can explain it to the buyer. thanks.
mine makes the same noise when i put it in first gear slowing down to a stop light or something (clutch engaged)

in for possible answer
Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 AM

best way to find out is remove the trans and open it up, could also be internal bearings, when a load/force is not applied to them they loosen up a little causing noise, my truck trans did the same thing till the tailshaft bearing blew apart, then I rebuilt it and now no noise
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractor_Boy
best way to find out is remove the trans and open it up, could also be internal bearings, when a load/force is not applied to them they loosen up a little causing noise, my truck trans did the same thing till the tailshaft bearing blew apart, then I rebuilt it and now no noise
ahh, well

ill just wait until i find a ex tranny.

the dx one can blow up for all i care
Old 08-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tractor_Boy
synchronizers............... order rebuild kit, remove trans, replace synchros, and then put it all back together, the noise will be gone
dang, i was hoping for an easier fix but if i have to go thru all that, mite as well buy another tranny. thanks for the info!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Trial User

I have an 05 honda civic HX with 154,000 miles. I'm hearing a whining, vibrating noise that gets higher pitch as I drive. I can take it out of gear and turn the engine off (while cruising at 70mph) and still hear the noise. so I know it is not engine related. I just installed four new tires, and it's louder than ever ( probably since I don't hear the tires anymore). I put it up on jack stand and accellerated to 60 mph and I can't tell exactly where it is coming from. It does not sound like it is coming from either wheel.