Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Whining noise after turning off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise after turning off?

I've noticed the past couple of weeks when I pull into the garage or driveway, shut the car off and get out, I hear a faint yet audible whine coming from the car. Before it only lasted 2-3 seconds, but the other day it lasted for about 10. Enough for me to walk around the car and try and pinpoint it. The only thing I could tell was it seems to be coming from the front.

At first I thought maybe it was the brake calipers or something, maybe the brake pad setting back in, but I'm not so sure about that. It's not my intake, I'm not that dumb.

I wish I could describe it better, but a whine is the best way I can. It starts and then fades off within 2-5 seconds usually.

ANY ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whining noise after turning off? (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've noticed the past couple of weeks when I pull into the garage or driveway, shut the car off and get out, I hear a faint yet audible whine coming from the car. Before it only lasted 2-3 seconds, but the other day it lasted for about 10. Enough for me to walk around the car and try and pinpoint it. The only thing I could tell was it seems to be coming from the front.

At first I thought maybe it was the brake calipers or something, maybe the brake pad setting back in, but I'm not so sure about that. It's not my intake, I'm not that dumb.

I wish I could describe it better, but a whine is the best way I can. It starts and then fades off within 2-5 seconds usually.

ANY ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fan slowing down maybe?

Old 10-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could it be an exhaust leak or intake leak
Old 10-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whining noise after turning off? (4door_demon)

Interesting idea...it's possible, but fans on Honda's, or at least mine, don't seem to run real often. If the car has been sitting for a few hours and I pull it into the garage it will do it, and I wouldn't think a fan needs to kick on for the 10 second trip. However, it doesn't always make the noise.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out tonight.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (miamijdmcoupe524)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miamijdmcoupe524 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could it be an exhaust leak or intake leak</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't sound like air, sounds more like a surface to surface contact sound.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whining noise after turning off? (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interesting idea...it's possible, but fans on Honda's, or at least mine, don't seem to run real often. If the car has been sitting for a few hours and I pull it into the garage it will do it, and I wouldn't think a fan needs to kick on for the 10 second trip. However, it doesn't always make the noise.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out tonight. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a wind down, does not have to be running long, surface to surface sound.

Next guess would be throwout bearing spinning on the shaft.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Whining noise after turning off? (4door_demon)

When I had a whining.. It was my tranny going out.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whining noise after turning off? (JDM-EJ1)

probably it's the intake noise after turning your car off?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Whining noise after turning off? (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UNKNOWN_MEMBER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">probably it's the intake noise after turning your car off?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, he specifically state it was NOT his intake.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my condenser fan whines real bad for 7-15 sec after killing my car. Was your a/c on?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my friends crx did that, haha, we nicknamed it moaning myrtle. it was his throttle body if im not mistaken... but idk, and his was mainly after he got on it
Old 10-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (vtecpoweredsol)

Is your car a stick? do you park it in neutral with the e brake on or just leave it in gear?

If you leave it in neutral it could be your layshaft (I think that's what it's called) winding down, it's a long shot of a guess though.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, he specifically state it was NOT his intake.</TD></TR></TABLE> whoops lol
Old 10-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whining noise after turning off? (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

Thanks for all the replies.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door_demon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like a wind down, does not have to be running long, surface to surface sound.

Next guess would be throwout bearing spinning on the shaft.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right now I'm trying to check into the fan possibility. It didn't do it last night, of course, so we'll see about tonight.

I hope it's not the throwout bearing, it's new within 10,000 miles.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I had a whining.. It was my tranny going out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hopefully not, but it would help me get that EX tranny sooner.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dorkoftheyear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my condenser fan whines real bad for 7-15 sec after
killing my car. Was your a/c on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, the A/C was not on.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecpoweredsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friends crx did that, haha, we nicknamed it moaning myrtle. it was his throttle body if im not mistaken... but idk, and his was mainly after he got on it</TD></TR></TABLE>

You remember what part of his throttle body? But as I said before, it really doesn't sound like air.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is your car a stick? do you park it in neutral with the e brake on or just leave it in gear?

If you leave it in neutral it could be your layshaft (I think that's what it's called) winding down, it's a long shot of a guess though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car is a stick and I park it in gear 9 times out of 10 in first gear.

Again, thanks for all the replies. At this point the fan seems like a likely probability. Maybe the bearing on the fan shaft is going bad, or things are just a little dry. I'll try checking it out tonight and maybe this weekend. Maybe I'll see if I can get the fan to kick on sitting in the driveway and then turn it off real quick and see if it does it again.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe the tps... but im not sure, may have just been a whole bad throttle body itself, ill see him 2day and ill ask him, im not sure if he even knows for sure cuz he just swapped it for a d15b7 with like 40k miles on it, cuz that engine was weak anyways
Old 05-26-2019, 06:09 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Whining noise after turning off?

To better clarify our whining sound seems to be coming from behind the dash. Almost sounds like Axl Rose of Guns and Roses starting up a song. Will get a recording later.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: Whining noise after turning off?

A/C evaporator noise...probably nothing to worry about.