Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where is IAB solenoid located at on gsr manifold???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is IAB solenoid located at on gsr manifold???

Im trying to find out where the IAB solenoid is located at so that I can wire it directly to a26.. it sucks when I try and hit vtec.. it feels so slow.. I guess because the dual butterflies are not opening up..
Old 03-30-2008, 11:12 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Where is IAB solenoid located at on gsr manifold??? (562daybid)

HELP!! I need somebody.. HELP! not just anybody.. HELP! you know I need someone... HELLLLPP!!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (ekb16)

Wait.. isnt that the IACV sensor???
Old 03-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

absolutely not...
This is an iacv:

(http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=2174946)

It attaches to the back of the manifold, not underneath like the iab cannister
Old 03-31-2008, 04:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">absolutely not...
This is an iacv:

(http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=2174946)

It attaches to the back of the manifold, not underneath like the iab cannister</TD></TR></TABLE>
oh really?? so its under the manifold and not behind it right?? well my car cracks pretty good already in vtec.. imagine after I install the wires for the secondary butterflies.. it will start soaring
Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (562daybid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 562daybid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
oh really?? so its under the manifold and not behind it right?? well my car cracks pretty good already in vtec.. imagine after I install the wires for the secondary butterflies.. it will start soaring</TD></TR></TABLE>

You really dont usually notice GSR VTEC. It's at 4400 RPM. The butterflies open at 5700 RPM (with a GSR ECU, ofcourse). Usually, you notice the butterflies opening...but not VTEC. VTEC is pretty silent on the intake side. If you have an exhaust, you can hear a subtle change.

It's silent, but deadly. Like a beer fart .
Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You really dont usually notice GSR VTEC. It's at 4400 RPM. The butterflies open at 5700 RPM (with a GSR ECU, ofcourse). Usually, you notice the butterflies opening...but not VTEC. VTEC is pretty silent on the intake side. If you have an exhaust, you can hear a subtle change.

It's silent, but deadly. Like a beer fart . </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hmm, well I can notice a dramatic difference in sound and power right around 5k...(gsr with i/h/e)..So is this difference in sound and power actually the butterflies opening up and not VTEC like I always thought it was?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Re: (alacard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hmm, well I can notice a dramatic difference in sound and power right around 5k...(gsr with i/h/e)..So is this difference in sound and power actually the butterflies opening up and not VTEC like I always thought it was?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well...if it's around 5k, it's most likely VTEC.

However, with my GSR, the only sound or power increase I noticed was at 5700 when the butterflies opened.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's silent, but deadly. Like a beer fart . </TD></TR></TABLE>
Well I have a bone stock JDM gsr obd2 in my ek.. no cat either but test pipe.. right when you hit vtec it CRACKS.. you notice it big time.. I guess because theres no cat and its basically straight pipe.. I also have an es oval exhaust 2.25.. so after I install the wires for the secondary butterflies to open up will it increase power and sound even more loud???? I hope so.. its great right now and loud even without installing the IAB wires yet..
Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where is IAB solenoid located at on gsr manifold??? (562daybid)

A buddy of mine removed the butterflys on the mani completely. Is this better?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Where is IAB solenoid located at on gsr manifold??? (nahledge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nahledge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A buddy of mine removed the butterflys on the mani completely. Is this better?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He thought he would get more horsepowerz didn't he?

Why would Honda even spend time and money on R&D if it is better to not have them?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Where is IAB solenoid located at on gsr manifold??? (mcvtec)

Best solution? Remove butterflies or get an aftermarket manifold. Get a B16 or ITR trans.

The butterflies are there because of the GSR's horrible gearing. Honda wanted to showcase their butterfly technology. Which sucked. Think about it. If it worked so damn well, why not use it on EVERYTHING? I understand that the GSR was supposed to have a different dynamic (torque down low for plusher driving), but that could have been solved with less crappy gearing. If the GSR had the ITR's trans, there would be no need for the butterflies.

The butterflies dont really help THAT MUCH anyway. Here's a hint. How many Hondas come with butterflies now?

That was kind of a cheater question. lol...Most cars (Honda or not) come with variable cam timing now. So no need for butterflies in any case. But still....the butterfly idea on the GSR wasn't so great.

I'm sure people will disagree.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so what is so good ABOUT HAVING A GSR then
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where is IAB solenoid located at on gsr manifold??? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The butterflies are there because of the GSR's horrible gearing. Honda wanted to showcase their butterfly technology. Which sucked. Think about it. If it worked so damn well, why not use it on EVERYTHING? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, it worked/works quite well. It was a forerunner of the variable-length/variable geometry intake setups found on many modern high performance engines. The concept itself is a good one, and Honda was able to create an elegantly simple design. Removing the butterflies on a relatively stock engine makes no sense. It certainly won't generate any more power down low, and it will be equal in power up top, since the secondaries would be open anyway.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That was kind of a cheater question. lol...Most cars (Honda or not) come with variable cam timing now. So no need for butterflies in any case. But still....the butterfly idea on the GSR wasn't so great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Variable valve timing and variable intake length are two totally different things. One is not a "substitute" for the other, and both can work together to improve a power curve.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will a b16 manifold fit on a gsr head ????
Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (poorhonda)

Courtesy: pdiggitydogg

PR4/P75/LS/CRV only fits its own head - LS = LS
P72/GSR only fits its own head - GSR = GSR
P30/PR3/P73/B16/ITR fits its own head - B16 = ITR