Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where the crap is my starter??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where the crap is my starter??

I feel like a complete moron for asking this, but i have no idea where my starter is.. does anyone have a pic of a d16z6 where they could point out my starter. Mine is bad and i need to replace it.
thanks guys!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:32 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where the crap is my starter?? (WreckedTeggie)

hey bro, no offense, but if you can't find it, you shouldn't be working on your own car....

but, if you must, it is on the left hand side of the engine bay, about halfway down. there are 2 wires connecting it, and 2 bolts holding it in.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:49 AM

Sorry, don't really have a good picture of it. However, I can tell you where it is located.

The starter is located on the transmission, on the top side towards the back.
To get a good look at what you are looking at, if you remove the intake pipe/hose you will see it.

To remove, disconnect neg battery lead. There will be 2 wire going to the starter. One is simply clipped on (signal wire) and the other is bolted on (12mm to remove).
Once you have that done, the starter is held in by two bolts (14mm to remove). On of which is really hard to see, unless you know where it is. It is located oposite of the easier one to see.

Hope this helps.

A pic borrowed from another post about someone selling a starter...
http://www.heatscoreracing.com...0.jpg
Old 12-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, i know enough about cars to work on them.. i put a jdm b18 in my ls integra, but i failed to learn names and places... i can wire vtec in a nonvtec car in about 10 minutes though!! haha
Old 12-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (WreckedTeggie)

It's under the distributor. Take off your intake arm, put your left hand on the distributor, slide left until it falls off, your hand should be resting on the starter.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WreckedTeggie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, i know enough about cars to work on them.. i put a jdm b18 in my ls integra, but i failed to learn names and places... i can wire vtec in a nonvtec car in about 10 minutes though!! haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly!

I did my GSR swap into EG a couple years back..... Took a lot of HT help, but it was up and running great once completed. ....and I still don't know what half the $hit under the hood is.

Never tell someone they shouldn't be working on a car because lack of knowledge. Instead give the knowledge and encourage the person
Old 12-19-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Never tell someone they shouldn't be working on a car because lack of knowledge. Instead give the knowledge and encourage the person </TD></TR></TABLE>

i am all for helping people out. i am a friggin middle school teacher.... i had a couple instances here on h-t when i was trying to help someone out, and they fucked something up, thus blaming me. so, when i see someone asking for help trying to find a blatantly obvious part, i have to ask whether they should be working on the car or not.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:43 PM
My car breaks a lot!

Default Re: (Rodney)

Old 12-19-2005, 03:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i am all for helping people out. i am a friggin middle school teacher.... i had a couple instances here on h-t when i was trying to help someone out, and they fucked something up, thus blaming me. so, when i see someone asking for help trying to find a blatantly obvious part, i have to ask whether they should be working on the car or not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Who cares if they blame you? did you get a subpeona in the mail? Probably not, don't worry about it.

People make mistakes. Just because you gave someone (probably) good advice and they fucked up doesn't mean you should tell people not to work on their cars.

I had no idea where the starter was on my old car, but I found it and changed it out no problem. As a teacher you can agree, people learn differently. Some are hands on, some just need an explanation of how to do it. I'm personally a hands on guy. Once I do something, or drive somewhere. I'll never forget. Just encourage people to learn, making mistakes is a part of the game... and is usually the biggest help in teaching.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where the crap is my starter?? (jdmcars.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmcars.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...
A pic borrowed from another post about someone selling a starter...
http://www.heatscoreracing.com...0.jpg</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the Starter started the motor, not the wheels... Any more Wheel-mounted Starters for sale? Any significant Hp/Tq gains when using them? They look a little ricey, but if the function is there...

I need to so some more H-T Surchin!!!

LMK!
JasonGhostz
Old 12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i am all for helping people out. i am a friggin middle school teacher.... i had a couple instances here on h-t when i was trying to help someone out, and they fucked something up, thus blaming me. so, when i see someone asking for help trying to find a blatantly obvious part, i have to ask whether they should be working on the car or not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, as long as you are giving the right advice can't worry about somone screwing up their ride.

I admire you for being a middle school teacher in this world today (no joke)
Old 12-19-2005, 04:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, as long as you are giving the right advice can't worry about somone screwing up their ride. </TD></TR></TABLE>

about a year ago, someone asked a question about how to jump start a car.... i held his hand via im/ red -postitive, black-negative.... hard to screw up, right? the moron swapped it on the other car. he was bitching to me because i did not tell him how to hook it up on the OTHER car. fucktard.... after so many of those types of posts, you get weary of kids working on their own vehicles.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I admire you for being a middle school teacher in this world today (no joke) </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, last year an 8th grader wanted to fight me. oh boy, that was a rough day... parents didn't do jack either. when i was a kid, if i mouthed off to my teachers, forget my dad, my mother woulda have kicked my ***...
so far this year i have been lucky. no punk kids in the classes.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shut up Rodney. I'll fly up there and come fight you.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

bring it on interweb tough guy....
Old 12-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys.. thanks for the help.. i got the new starter and swapped them out.. it was $80 at advanced auto with the core and warranty!! problem fixed.. yay for remote start aagain... any chance that my remote start had something to do with the starter going??
Old 12-26-2005, 08:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WreckedTeggie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys.. thanks for the help.. i got the new starter and swapped them out.. it was $80 at advanced auto with the core and warranty!! problem fixed.. yay for remote start aagain... any chance that my remote start had something to do with the starter going??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe if you constantly forgot you've already started it and tried to do it again. The sounds made from that mistake are usually pretty audible though.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exactly!
Never tell someone they shouldn't be working on a car because lack of knowledge. Instead give the knowledge and encourage the person </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is totally true. The starter, it's under the intake arm and directly under your dizzy. It's a roundish thing, sort of looks like a pop can.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Where the crap is my starter?? (JasonGhostz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JasonGhostz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought the Starter started the motor, not the wheels... Any more Wheel-mounted Starters for sale? Any significant Hp/Tq gains when using them? They look a little ricey, but if the function is there...

I need to so some more H-T Surchin!!!

LMK!
JasonGhostz</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude I Seriously hope you were kidding by that comment, the starter was simply placed on a wheel for that picture.

They also start the car not the wheels, I mean come on buddy, and why would you even think you would get any hp/tq gains by doing something with a starter? It starts the motor nothing more once it does that it turns off and its function is over untill the next time you start the car.

I seriously hope you were kidding with that post
Old 12-26-2005, 12:43 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Where the crap is my starter?? (nocturnaldragon)

This may help Teh Newb
Old 12-26-2005, 02:29 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Where the crap is my starter?? (Oregon)

"teh starter" hahahaha

with the sig link lloll
Old 12-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where the crap is my starter?? (SkoundrelUSA)

yet another awsome h-t diagram ftw
Old 12-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WreckedTeggie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys.. thanks for the help.. i got the new starter and swapped them out.. it was $80 at advanced auto with the core and warranty!! problem fixed.. yay for remote start aagain... any chance that my remote start had something to do with the starter going??</TD></TR></TABLE>

**Joe Dirt** "Woooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo Looooooook at dat $heeeeeit" **Joe Dirt**

Old 12-26-2005, 06:06 PM

d16z6 have starters? thats news to me....
Old 12-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Its possible if you dont have the anti grind feature installed, but that would just destroy the teeth on the flywheel and starter.

Possible it also ran it longer then need be depending on if it detects voltage or off the tach input.