Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where can I get a header for my 98?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get a header for my 98?

Looking for a good fitting header that doesn't leak and is an easy install like a bolt-on. How much HP or MPG would I gain? Does anyone have a link or pricing?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Where can I get a header for my 98? (Intercooler)

Check the classified section and see if you can pick up a used one, I bought mine used for 70.00 and I think it retails for around 200.??? its a DC header.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out ebay.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Where can I get a header for my 98? (lohatch)

There are so many brands on E-Bay. What has the best construction and fit? Are they a direct bolt-on or will I have to cut stuff or eliminate any brackets, etc...? How long would it take to R&R it and does anyone know the HP and MPG gains.... real life?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:43 PM

With my untrained Civic eye this one looks like a really nice piece:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33631

The other nice one is a Meghan?

Old 11-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

/\ that one would probably suit your needs.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Intercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With my untrained Civic eye this one looks like a really nice piece:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33631

The other nice one is a Meghan?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The prob is they dont show you what the welds look like on the inside- could be nice outside, but all kinds of shrapnel on the inside. Nothing a long dremel couldnt smooth out, but for the money, get one that you know is already going to be awesome inside the pipes.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Where can I get a header for my 98? (f1z1c)

Which one would you suggest for nice inside and outside?

Anyone do the install like on my Civic? Is it tough or takes a long time? Will a lift be needed? Does anyone know how much MPG I may pick up with it?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Intercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Which one would you suggest for nice inside and outside?

Anyone do the install like on my Civic? Is it tough or takes a long time? Will a lift be needed? Does anyone know how much MPG I may pick up with it? </TD></TR></TABLE>
i would suggest whatever you can afford, i dont think you are going to be building a real high HP motor with your automatic Y7. you should be able to do it with a floor jack and some jackstands, and i doubt your gas mileage will increase, as you will probably drive your car harder to see if it is any faster.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought a new 1-piece stainless header off Ebay for $170 shipped from a member named "eurosportgarage", I am happy with the performance and quality of it.

I have the header on the non-vtec motor like yours. Since you have an LX, you will be removing your catalytic converter to put this on. The header bolts up to the midpipe without it. This means you will have a check engine light on the dash, since there is no place to put your secondary O2 sensor. You have a couple options...You can just drive like that, or get a simulator to make the light go away. But if you have smog testing you will need to get an EX or Si converter and trim your midpipe to make it fit, or replace the midpipe with one from an EX.

BUT...if you plan to put an exhaust system on there, just get one for the EX and it will all go in with the cat and all.

You aren't going any significant change in MPG with a header
Old 12-01-2004, 07:25 AM

Default Re: (klungemonger)

If I can't pick up 2-3 MPG with it I won't bother. What will help increase the mileage then? I always thought a header system was the biggest gain in MPG.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:18 AM

Default Re: (klungemonger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This means you will have a check engine light on the dash, since there is no place to put your secondary O2 sensor. You have a couple options...You can just drive like that, or get a simulator to make the light go away. But if you have smog testing you will need to get an EX or Si converter and trim your midpipe to make it fit, or replace the midpipe with one from an EX.

BUT...if you plan to put an exhaust system on there, just get one for the EX and it will all go in with the cat and all.

You aren't going any significant change in MPG with a header</TD></TR></TABLE>
Couldnt you just weld a bung into the mid pipe and hook the o2 sensor back up?

Modified by cappa at 9:56 AM 12/1/2004
Old 12-01-2004, 08:27 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Intercooler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Intercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I can't pick up 2-3 MPG with it I won't bother. What will help increase the mileage then? I always thought a header system was the biggest gain in MPG. </TD></TR></TABLE>

A header system on a domestic car will gain a few extra mpg because they tend to be inefficient, but the Honda manifolds are very efficient so there is minimal mpg gain if any when switching to a header. The only thing that will help your cars gas mileage realistically is proper maintenance. Pay careful attention to tire inflation which has a large effect on mpg and other things like air filters and spark plugs and regular oil changes. That's all you can do.