Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si?

I have heard of people buying short shifters for their Del Sols and it actually has a longer shift throw than the stock shifter. I'm looking for a short shifter that has a dramatically shorter shift throw while not thrashing my transmission nor rattling because of the bushings. I have no clue what companies make a true short shifter for the Del Sol and not just a Civic copycat. I would also like a short shifter with either the same height or lower than stock shifter height. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si? (jigga008_99)

Get a light weight flywheel instead.

The short shifts are very mean to tranny syncros.

A lighter flywheel is actually easier on the syncros, plus the throttle response is "bitchin' "
Old 01-22-2003, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si? (Spade)

Agreed. I ran a "short-shift" for mine when i first got the sol, and ended up mashing my synchros, causing massive grinding doing quick shifts from 1st to 2nd.

All that aside, the stock throw is pretty short to begin with. I drove a 240sx for a while before the sol, and the Sol's throw is nothing to complain about.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si? (Hythrax)

yeah i would stick w/ the sol's stock shifter, the throws are pretty short to begin with and the height is pretty short as well.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si? (starang)

Agreed. I ran a "short-shift" for mine when i first got the sol, and ended up mashing my synchros, causing massive grinding doing quick shifts from 1st to 2nd

my civic does that, whenever i i shift from 1st to 2nd fast, i hear a stripping or grinding sound...i have a short shifter, but after reading this, im thinkin of putting my stock shifter back on.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si? (Jon5240)

My car makes the grinding noise too except its from 2nd to 3rd when i shift real quick. I think my synchros are already going out but its all good since im gettin a complete swap sometime soon. But ya, i think the stock shifter is a pretty short shift in a del sol too .
Old 01-27-2003, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si? (Hythrax)

Agreed. I ran a "short-shift" for mine when i first got the sol, and ended up mashing my synchros, causing massive grinding doing quick shifts from 1st to 2nd.
ditto
Old 01-27-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si? (Jon5240)

i had the same thing with my short shifter...even though the throws shorter, everytime i jammed it into 2nd it would grind the **** out of things....stick with stock. i would love it if a co. made a short shifter for a sol that didnt grind or rattle.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si? (KiEtLaNdEr)

I have a generic short shifter from http://www.racingdynamics.com...its called a typeR short shifter. Its much shorter than original, about 30-40% less than stock. I think its billet aluminum, but it has what is most important: ball bearing, and on top of that, it uses metal washers instead of stock's rubber washers. Now it has more of a direct feeling, and less mushiness...the washers fit perfectly, and i dont know what else is the cheapest and most effective upgrade there is besides this.

FOr all the people who have the misconception that short shifters f-up synros:
The reason you get grinding is because the shifting is heavier and time needed to shift gears are reduced greatly. Many people are not pulling it in hard enough to get a good mesh, and get the grind...most people dont realize this because with a stock shifter, it takes longer and its easier to shift, so the shifter goes in better...but remmeber that it takes more time. If you take a short shifter and shift it as fast as you did with your stock one, you will have the same results as stock, if you want faster shifting, you have to yank harder with short shifter. Also, d16 syncros are not designed for that kinds of stress.

All in all, short shifters dont kill kill trannies, its the driver that kills the tranny. Also, a common problem of civic's is the fast wearing engine and tranny mounts, stiffen those up will reduce engine play, and will get the gear in better.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Where can I find a true short shifter for a Del Sol Si? (nd8ch)

I had an OBX Type-R short shifter. It was crap. I never really slammed it into gear or abused it and after so many cycles of being heated up by the exhaust and then cooling, the weld that kept the two pieces together broke and the top half of the shifter literally tore off in my hand on a lazy 1-2 shift. That's gotta be the strangest feeling havin the shifter tear off in your hand. I'd just find a stock integra shifter. They rule.